Speculation: What could we get in return for some of our players...

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I would be overjoyed if we got a 1st for Antropov, but I don't see it, personally. I suppose it all depends on what teams are looking for, maybe what they miss out on, how much they're willing to pay, how stocked they are with assets, etc.

I see Antropov getting us at least a 2nd round pick, worst would be a 3rd, I think, not a 1st, but i'd love to be wrong.

I don't mind Antropov, don't love him or hate him. I think he's underrated by some and overrated by some. For me he's just here, he's 'meh'. He fills a 3rd line role, won't do much of anything for you if you put him in the top 6, contributes some nights and is non-existent other nights.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I like Hainsey, except I think he lacks a little speed sometimes and can be beat on the outside. Other than that, he's solid. So I don't see the Jets moving him.

Burmistrov is interesting though. If you do trade him you need to get a high 1st round pick ( statistically so far there are only 3 players in his draft year putting up better numbers ) or a proven player of some talent. When you watch him you can just see the talent there, but it just doesn't translate into numbers during the games.

Burmistrov is one of those players that is either playing as good as he ever will, or you will trade him and he will become a superstar. Some risk there.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Its been said before, but Antro is very underrated around here. A late 1st is not as far fetched as many seem to think, although, like many things, the right situation needs to unfold for that to happen.
A 2nd+3rd or something in that range should be very doable.

An early 3rd doesn't make any sense....teams with early picks in any round are sellers not buyers.

Not if those picks had previously been traded to teams that are in the playoffs.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
EXACTLY!

Just like how the plug Eric Fehr would get cut from EV Zug right?

What's that? Fehr is playing real solid with Capitals, with 6g, 12pts in 19gp with a +8 on a terrible team? Can't be, sipowicz declared him not fit for even NLA last year and declared him nowhere near NHL material....

Then why did no team take a shot at him, with the exception of the Caps taking a flyer on him?

It has worked well for them so far, but there was clearly more then just sipowitz that thought fehr wasnt any good for the NHL

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Fehr was coming off a bad injury which has historically taken players a long time to recover from. You can't judge Fehr based on his season with Winnipeg.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
How quickly people forget. Paul Gaustad went for a first LAST YEAR! And Antropov is a more valuable and better player than Gaustad ever will be. Now obviously Nashville overpaid, but you don't see David Poile at risk of getting fired over that trade, same as somebody who acquired Antropov for a 1st wouldn't be at risk, since there are so few sellers these days you have to pay a premium for talent...and Antropov is a very nice player in the right role...

Maybe we can get a 1st for Antropov. I would take that trade all day. I like Antropov's game, I'm not one of his haters, but I don't believe he's worth a 1st.

Paul Gaustad... what a terrible trade.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Antro is a 33 year old 20 game rental. Don't see that getting a second or early third in a good draft year.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
For Antro and Hainsey I would try to get a projected 2 nd or 3 rd line winger or a 4-6 dman that is playing in the ahl that will either make the jump next year or the year after something that will help us sooner than later.whoever we trade with will probably be a guaranteed playoff team with some organizational depth.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
-I think you have to move Antro. He doesn't seem to fit well with the direction we're going. At worst you get a 2nd. At best you get a 1st or roster player under 30, preferably young if possible, that can fill a 3rd line spot to a tee.

-Hainsey I think you hold onto unless something really good comes along.

-I think you look to move Wellwood as well, perhaps Thorburn. But you don't move guys for strictly picks as picks aren't as valuable as you would think.

-Don't see the point in moving Stuart. Seems to fit what we want very well.

-It's way too early to just give up on Burmi and I wouldn't see the point unless you package him and get an upgrade. He plays bigger then he is, is great defensively without including his age, and still has boatloads of potential. I've seen people say you have to be big to be tough to play against, but what good is size if you don't use it or are stupid defensively?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
EXACTLY!

Just like how the plug Eric Fehr would get cut from EV Zug right?

What's that? Fehr is playing real solid with Capitals, with 6g, 12pts in 19gp with a +8 on a terrible team? Can't be, sipowicz declared him not fit for even NLA last year and declared him nowhere near NHL material....

Fehr was clearly injured when he was with us last season, he played well in Europe during the lockout, parleyed that into an NHL contract and is doing pretty well, good for him. Chevy was the guy who gave up on him and with 20/20 hindsight would probably rather have Fehr than Jokinen at this point. Like Mittens, Fehr had slowly come around near the very end of last season. No one can say they would have signed him but bringing him in on a try-out contract with an extended training camp and pre season may have been a wise move.:D

PS Fehr 27, Antro 33

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Noel, Chevy, Ladd, etc. have all mentioned it, we have to get this losing culture out of our team. We've got a ton of guys who are decent players, but don't hate losing enough.

Highly doubt we get a 1st for either Hainsey or Antro, although DET gave a 1st for Quincey last year.

Would love to see Hainsey, Antro, and a 3rd to a team like STL, DAL, OTT for a 1st.

I would also move Little if we could get a high pick and/or nice prospect for him.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
At the deadline we could for sure get a first for Hainsey or Antro.

You could get more then that for Hainsey alone, I think. He can slot in anywhere on your left side D pairings and be quite efficient.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
If there are any GM's dumb enough to give us a 1st round pick for a 33-year old giant slug I'm all for it. I also want to know where they buy their pharmaceutical products.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Noel, Chevy, Ladd, etc. have all mentioned it, we have to get this losing culture out of our team. We've got a ton of guys who are decent players, but don't hate losing enough.

Highly doubt we get a 1st for either Hainsey or Antro, although DET gave a 1st for Quincey last year.

Would love to see Hainsey, Antro, and a 3rd to a team like STL, DAL, OTT for a 1st.

I would also move Little if we could get a high pick and/or nice prospect for him.

So you think a top four Defenseman, a top 9 fwd and what is looking to be a mid-high 3rd would only get us a late first?

Thank god your not our GM.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

So you want to trade Little for a downgrade? I don't care if Little is part of the problem, you don't trade a 50pt 2-way center/rw for someone that might never make an impact in the NHL. Those type of moves are ones Waddell would make and worse.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
So you think a top four Defenseman, a top 9 fwd and what is looking to be a mid-high 3rd would only get us a late first?

Thank god your not our GM.

Someone actually has to offer us their 1st round pick for us to get it eh...Just because Hainsey and Antro are top four and top nine for us doesn't mean other teams will value them as highly as we do.

A lot of attitude towards the guy considering there's not being a solution offered. I've thought about it a fair bit, how many contending teams need a number four defenseman and a 3rd/4th line versatile Russian in the first place? Not to mention they'll fit in some systems better than others that would further limit some teams I'd imagine.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for dealing them for a decent price but a 1st rounder coming back isn't the guarantee you're making it sound like. Would be a nice surprise though.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Sorry at the deadline I sell any UFA I can get anything for if they won't extend their contracts....I don't really care if we don't sneak into the playoffs this year because of it.....I don't want a bubble team every year we have to build into a contender and that will take years. I don't let any UFA walk away in the summer for nothing in return IMHO

Hainsey would prob bring a 2nd and Antro a 3rd....If they don't accept whatever Chevy offers them to extend then see ya!

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think that if Antropov was moved you would not even notice him missing as he plays like a ghost in Winnipeg.
At best we are lucky if we can get a late first round pick for him.

I think that we overpaid for Jokinen & he may be hard to move at his current salary.

Hainsey is a decent defenceman to keep around if he can be signed for half of what he worth right now.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sorry at the deadline I sell any UFA I can get anything for if they won't extend their contracts....I don't really care if we don't sneak into the playoffs this year because of it.....I don't want a bubble team every year we have to build into a contender and that will take years. I don't let any UFA walk away in the summer for nothing in return IMHO

Hainsey would prob bring a 2nd and Antro a 3rd....If they don't accept whatever Chevy offers them to extend then see ya!

So you'd rather sacrifice a playoff appearence just to get a few picks that will likely be nothing in the end? That's not how you build a winning culture and if you do that no one will want to play for Winnipeg.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
It's evident reading this thread there's a lot of people on this board that have not paid attention to the last 3 or 4 trade deadlines.

Hainsey and a 3rd returns a 1st.

Antropov likely returns a 2nd and a 3rd.

Stuart probably returns a 2nd but some buyers would sit him out because his contract extends into next season.

Thorburn returns a 3rd. Maybe a 3rd and a 4th to a team that really wants some grit.

Wellwood, maybe a 3rd. I don't think he'd be of interest to many of the teams buying at the deadline. He's not a top 6 guy on a legit contender, and he's not suited to a typical bottom 6 role.

I be really surprised if the Jets openly shopped Jokinen or Slater at the deadline. Maybe prices will reach such a level that it makes sense to make them available, but I'd be surprised.

To be honest I think Cheveldayoff will try to have some serious extension talks with Hainsey and Antropov before the deadline and he can get them inked at a decent number (especially Hainsey) he'll go that route. The UFA market isn't what it used to be. Most teams these days are pushing hard to re-sign even their mid-level free agents to be and the market is really thin as a result.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
So you'd rather sacrifice a playoff appearence just to get a few picks that will likely be nothing in the end? That's not how you build a winning culture and if you do that no one will want to play for Winnipeg.

Let's be realistic this team will get killed in the playoffs if we sneak in 7th or 8th.....so yes I would rather suffer the first few years building a deep strong foundation of young players then sneak into the playoffs this year. Many many good NHL players are picked in the 2nd round and our farm system is brutal thanks to many years of Thrasher neglect. This organization has preached a slow build through the draft and selling old ufa players at the deadline is part of this process Imo

I'm not satisfied with a playoff bubble team I want a champion and we are so far away from that I don't think the experience gained from a short playoff appearance is more beneficial then adding a few future pieces to the puzzle at this moment. I hope that we can switch the gear from selling to adding within two years but that will depend on how we progress.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Let's be realistic this team will get killed in the playoffs if we sneak in 7th or 8th.....so yes I would rather suffer the first few years building a deep strong foundation of young players then sneak into the playoffs this year. Many many good NHL players are picked in the 2nd round and our farm system is brutal thanks to many years of Thrasher neglect. This organization has preached a slow build through the draft and selling old ufa players at the deadline is part of this process Imo

It's not about getting killed. It's about building a winning culture. You make the playoffs you give a lot of these young players a taste of it for the first time and what it's really about. You give them a real taste of what the organization is building towards.

What you were suggesting is a total lack of commitment to winning. Something that does not attract players from an outside perspective.

This team has picked in the top 10 for 5 straight years. Bogosian has spent 4 years losing and Kane 3. You keep that up and guys will get complacent. I'm not saying that we should be buyers or anything, I'm just saying that the last thing you do is sell everything for a bunch of nothing picks when you already have a solid amount of high round picks and will likely add at least one more(somebody is getting moved regardless I would think). It's not only about long term, it's also about short term and the teams that manage that the best are the ones that are consistently at the top.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It's not about getting killed. It's about building a winning culture. You make the playoffs you give a lot of these young players a taste of it for the first time and what it's really about. You give them a real taste of what the organization is building towards.

What you were suggesting is a total lack of commitment to winning. Something that does not attract players from an outside perspective.

This team has picked in the top 10 for 5 straight years. Bogosian has spent 4 years losing and Kane 3. You keep that up and guys will get complacent. I'm not saying that we should be buyers or anything, I'm just saying that the last thing you do is sell everything for a bunch of nothing picks when you already have a solid amount of high round picks and will likely add at least one more(somebody is getting moved regardless I would think). It's not only about long term, it's also about short term and the teams that manage that the best are the ones that are consistently at the top.

Case in point, the Edmonton Oilers.

Their top 6 is amazing, and their D + Goalie aren't really that bad either. How are all those high picks working out for them?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm not satisfied with a playoff bubble team I want a champion and we are so far away from that I don't think the experience gained from a short playoff appearance is more beneficial then adding a few future pieces to the puzzle at this moment. I hope that we can switch the gear from selling to adding within two years but that will depend on how we progress.

I get what you're saying and think we both want the same result. It's just about how we get there that we see things a little different. Either way Chevy has to manage things right. There's a lot of wrong ways to go about it but very few right ways. He can't over play his cards either from either side or you will get burned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad