Speculation: What could we get in return for some of our players...

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
With the trade deadline approaching, what could we get in return for some of our assets who have been rumored to be dealt.

*** Please don't include players from our youth core (Scheifele, Trouba, Bogosian, Kane, Burmistrov) ***

Players to consider:
Hainsey
Stuart
Wellwood
Antropov
Jokinen
Thorburn
Slater

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
If you aren't going to include our youth core, which is the strongest part of our team, you aren't going to get much.

You get what you give, basically. For the players listed you'll get some 3rd/4th liners and mid-to-late draft picks.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think peluso has made both thorburn and Stuart redundant. Both are not very effective at their position. Would definitely like to see those two go. I dont see thor getting more than a 5th or maybe part of a bigger deal. Stu could get a 2nd if the conditions are right.

We should keep hainsey for another year or two, deal antropov if the offer is good and we are confident scheifele can make the team next year.

Wellwood also doesn't seem to fit our plan of size and strength along the wings. The return for him will depend greatly on his performance. However he is a known playoff performer.

Slater and Jokinen should be kept. Their value to this team is greater than any potential return.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Can we get a late 1st for Antropov? For a team who thinks they have a chance at winning a cup and needed a depth center/ winger. That slide in anywhere.

Ex Antropov + Chicago 2013 2nd to ? Boston 2013 1st + Boston 2014 3rd?

How about Jokinen or hainsey but I do not really want to lose Hainsey as he is a strong 4 th damn that can fill in top 2 if injuries arises.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If you aren't going to include our youth core, which is the strongest part of our team, you aren't going to get much.

You get what you give, basically. For the players listed you'll get some 3rd/4th liners and mid-to-late draft picks.

At the trade deadline most teams are either BUYING or SELLING. It is rare to see a veteran skater being dealt for a veteran skater...

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I never said veteren for veteren. I said we would get 3rd/4th liners or mid-to-late draft picks.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Can we get a late 1st for Antropov? For a team who thinks they have a chance at winning a cup and needed a depth center/ winger. That slide in anywhere.

Ex Antropov + Chicago 2013 2nd to ? Boston 2013 1st + Boston 2014 3rd?

How about Jokinen or hainsey but I do not really want to lose Hainsey as he is a strong 4 th damn that can fill in top 2 if injuries arises.

I think a GM might get fired if he traded their 1st for Antropov. I like Antropov most nights, but he is nowhere near worth a 1st round draft pick, especially with his decline in offensive production. You could probably get a 3rd and a 4th or something along those lines. Maybe a 2nd, but I think that's reaching too.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Sorry, but TSN suggested the Jets will possibly move Burmistrov in exchange for a gritty forward...
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-analysis/latest/4/0/878435/clip/530
Begins at roughly 5:30

So, it may be wise to include Burmistrov amongst that group as I'm guessing that Dreger didn't just pull his name out of thin air.

I would have no problem with this. I'm starting to think that Burmi may never live up to his potential. Maybe he will prove his doubters wrong - but that is how I'm feeling about Burmi these days.

To me it appear he is one of those tremendously gifted players who does not produce. Also, maybe it's just me - but I don't think he hates to lose.

If we deal him, I want someone talented in return who hates to lose.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Personally, i hope we don't ship hainsey out unless we get a realy sweet deal because
A) there is not a replacement in our system for him. Even if you think he is a good 5 being asked to play as a four, unfortunately, our next best d man is a 6th.

B) the list of available free agents is pretty dang small. at 30 hainsey is the second youngest of what i'd call the top 5 available defense free agents (the only one younger in that group being Smid).

It's gonna be a boring deadline IMO.

all the guys listed above as trade bait won't net you much beyond antropov, stuart, hainsey, and jokinen. those guys will actually warrent something of value, but i really hope we don't trade jokinen.

as for Antro, i think he is worth at least as much as johnny O was last year. he should net a second IMO. Th eonly issue being capspace, but a lower cap team making a push could us ehim.

i'd say going vaguely off picks

hainsey: at least a first, probably more
Antro: a conditional first perhaps, or a 2nd
Jokinen: a first and probably more
wellwood: late pick
stuart: second probably
thorburn: 5th or later
Slater: 2nd

I don't put nearly the value on picks some do, as i've actually done in depth research on the statistical likelihood of picks becoming useful players. hardly any second rounders become adequate thrid/fourth liners so i wouldn't trade a useful top 6 dman, or top 9 forward for anything less then that plus as theres a very very very very small chance that pick becomes MORE then a top 9 player, an din reality only a very very small chance it even become a top 9.

Last edited:

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
What we have to remember with Burmistrov is he's only 21 years old. He was drafted in 2010, and from that draft, only a select few players have matured enough to be considered top-end players (Seguin, Skinner, Hall).

He has been lacking the last few games, but saying right now that he won't achieve his potential is jumping the gun.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I would also hate to see Stuart traded. He's Don Cherry's favourite player!

But seriously, he has grit on the line that every team needs. We don't have another defenseman like Stuart, so trading him would be a mistake.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Gain set is the only one I can see fetching higher than a 3rd on his own. Stuart maybe a future second but we can't trade both either.

I agree about Peluso making Thorburn redundant.

Wellwood I doubt anyone would even give up a mid round pick for when he has trouble cracking our lineup.

Antropov is a serviceable third liner, but he doesn't do much especially well so it'll be near impossible to get a Gaustad like return for him. He's declining though so anything we can get if we can't extend him by the deadline.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I think peluso has made both thorburn and Stuart redundant. Both are not very effective at their position. Would definitely like to see those two go. I dont see thor getting more than a 5th or maybe part of a bigger deal. Stu could get a 2nd if the conditions are right.

Unless Peluso can play D I disagree with this.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Only way Jokinen gets traded is if the Jets eat about $2M of his salary per year.

Jokinen, Mittens, and Antro will all be playing in the KHL if anywhere in a year or two.

Some of you guys value certain Jets all little (a lot) higher than what there worth, Antro for a 1st really? 23 games 1 goal, 6 assists.:shakehead

Last edited:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
While I think there will be the possibilty of someone getting moved for a pick, I am not going to hold my breath, short of a older guy going for a 1st.

As for Burmi, I thought of something...perhaps we need a player that compliments him more, someone who is more fluid and moving. That way they either get in the open for the option, or they draw people opening up the ice for him.
Might be currently a case of square peg, round hole...so knock the corners off the peg.

Prairiehockey

Jun 9, 2011
Winnipeg
No way could we get a first for Antropov. Maybe an early 3rd. Late 2nd.

Its been said before, but Antro is very underrated around here. A late 1st is not as far fetched as many seem to think, although, like many things, the right situation needs to unfold for that to happen.
A 2nd+3rd or something in that range should be very doable.

An early 3rd doesn't make any sense....teams with early picks in any round are sellers not buyers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think a GM might get fired if he traded their 1st for Antropov. I like Antropov most nights, but he is nowhere near worth a 1st round draft pick, especially with his decline in offensive production. You could probably get a 3rd and a 4th or something along those lines. Maybe a 2nd, but I think that's reaching too.

How quickly people forget. Paul Gaustad went for a first LAST YEAR! And Antropov is a more valuable and better player than Gaustad ever will be. Now obviously Nashville overpaid, but you don't see David Poile at risk of getting fired over that trade, same as somebody who acquired Antropov for a 1st wouldn't be at risk, since there are so few sellers these days you have to pay a premium for talent...and Antropov is a very nice player in the right role...

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Only way Jokinen gets traded is if the Jets eat about $2M of his salary per year.

Jokinen, Mittens, and Antro will all be playing in the KHL if anywhere in a year or two.

Some of you guys value certain Jets all little (a lot) higher than what there worth, Antro for a 1st really? 23 games 1 goal, 6 assists.:shakehead

you shouldn't be moving him for less.

Why woudl you/

Why would you move an asset that IS something for an asset that has only a very very small chance of becoming an equal. picks are so overrated here it's ridiculous.

you might not get a late first for antro, but you should grab a second. he wasn't bad last year, and last time i checked, most players didn't get traded for remarkbly less then their worth because of one bad season.

Fortunately real gm's have a little more patience and less "knee jerK' views on players then posters here.

You guys want to ship out players for assets that are only going to be improvements once out of every 70 attempts, go for it, but that's a great way to ruin your team.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

EXACTLY!

Just like how the plug Eric Fehr would get cut from EV Zug right?

What's that? Fehr is playing real solid with Capitals, with 6g, 12pts in 19gp with a +8 on a terrible team? Can't be, sipowicz declared him not fit for even NLA last year and declared him nowhere near NHL material....

Last edited:

Prairiehockey

Jun 9, 2011
Winnipeg
How quickly people forget. Paul Gaustad went for a first LAST YEAR! And Antropov is a more valuable and better player than Gaustad ever will be. Now obviously Nashville overpaid, but you don't see David Poile at risk of getting fired over that trade, same as somebody who acquired Antropov for a 1st wouldn't be at risk, since there are so few sellers these days you have to pay a premium for talent...and Antropov is a very nice player in the right role...

To further this point, for the folks out there that put more emphasis on points than anything else, at the time of the trade last year Gaustad had 7g 10a. Then resigned with NSH in the offseason for 3.25/yr and has 1g 2a this year.

I don't see anyone roasting Poile for that, so why would it be out of the question for a similar situation to unfold for Antro?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
To further this point, for the folks out there that put more emphasis on points than anything else, at the time of the trade last year Gaustad had 7g 10a. Then resigned with NSH in the offseason for 3.25/yr and has 1g 2a this year.

I don't see anyone roasting Poile for that, so why would it be out of the question for a similar situation to unfold for Antro?

Here, Here!

I do not get this ridiculous notion that Players like anropov and hainsey should be traded for whatever scraps we'll be given.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad