Speculation: What could we get in return for some of our players...

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Hainsey would fetch a 1st rounder plus a player, as the Jets number 4 D man I hope we keep him.

Kind of wishful thinking to expect a first rounder for 34 year old Antro, 2nd rounder if lucky.

Yeah not too many UFA d-men to consider and the ones that will draw interest will see their price exceed market value so re-signing him not bad idea. But I am (pleasantly) surprised he would bring a 1st + a player. I would strongly consider any offer like that for Hainsey. Not hating him but that is just one hell of a return.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Personally, i hope we don't ship hainsey out unless we get a realy sweet deal because
i'd say going vaguely off picks

hainsey: at least a first, probably more
Antro: a conditional first perhaps, or a 2nd
Jokinen: a first and probably more
wellwood: late pick
stuart: second probably
thorburn: 5th or later
Slater: 2nd

I think all of these (except wellwood/thorburn) are MAJOR reaches.

If we could end up with 3 1sts, 1-2 2nds and a couple late picks for that group I'd drive them all to the airport myself.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
My 2 cents worth, which rounds down to zero :naughty:

• Jokinen has a year remaining (through 2013-2014), but his $4.5 million contract may make him hard to move. Also has some form of no-trade clause. I would trade him if possible and the deal is decent.
  • Antropov... trade him if he won't accept $2.5 million for next season. Has some form of no-trade clause.
  • Wellwood... trade him. Scheifele makes him expendable next year.
  • Miettinen... trade him. Has some form of no-trade clause.
  • Thorburn... trade him. Peluso and Wright make him expendable.

Please; let's not dismantle the defense. In an ideal world, Enstrom and Redmond would be up with the Jets. As it is, we've got Clitsome as a regular, and Meech and Postma duelling for a spot. I don't have a man-crush on any of them, but it's simply a matter of our cupboard being bare. Trouba is probably a couple of years away. So let me pre-emptively answer the obvious question... yes, we are that desparate.

• Hainsey... he's not overpaid. Rather, he's been under-used the past few years. This year, with all the defensive injuries, he has stepped up big time, and earned his paycheque. If at all possible, we should offer him $4.5 million a year for 2 years. If he says no, then trade him for something, but we should make an effort to keep him.
  • Clitsome is so-so, but is playing full-time minutes, and managing a positive +/-. Make him a decent offer and only trade him if he says no.
  • Meech, if nothing else, will provide a warm body in St John's, and be a servicable emergency callup for the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad