Post-Game Talk: What Comes After Dumpster Fire? Oilers lose 3-1

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Man this team for past 5 games is incredibly frustrating. And I dont know what to make of it

They let a team score within first 2 minutes, then claw to within 1 after 1st. Out play team for 35 mins after- get plenty of chances near goals but dont finish. In 3rd give up a brain fart goal and lose. I like about 80% of each game and we are losing to pretty good teams. But still its incredibly sad how similar each game is. If we just play the trap for first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes we could win some serious games

Paging the following players: Pouliot, Nuge, Eberle, Lucic. FINISH A F***ING GOAL. Please and thank you

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Didn't Klefbom have a slow/rocky start last year too?
I predict he gets much better and steadier as season progresses. He was out for nearly 6+ months with no NHL action. He was never going to pick up where he left off.

He wasn't this horrible though. I had high hopes since he showed a lot of promise last season despite it being injury shortened. I was in the Klefbom>Nurse boat but so far, it's the other way around.

Klefbom just doesn't appear that smart when reading the ice. On the PP, he takes forever to decide when to shoot or he would rather pass it to someone that ISNT open. Zero offensive instincts, something that was a worry since his SEL/AHL days. He's been extremely disappointing and if it weren't for Larsson being his partner, he'd look even worse. He's also doing the same stupid ass no look backhand to the slot [to clear or whatever he's thinking] just like Drai except he does it in our own zone. Must be a Euro thing. It's as if after several seasons of North American play, he's still adjusting to the ice surface.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Man this team for past 5 games is incredibly frustrating. And I dont know what to make of it

They let a team score within first 2 minutes, then claw to within 1 after 1st. Out play team for 35 mins after- get plenty of chances near goals but dont finish. In 3rd give up a brain fart goal and lose. I like about 80% of each game and we are losing to pretty good teams. But still its incredibly sad how similar each game is. If we just play the trap for first 5 minutes and last 5 minutes we could win some serious games

Paging the following players: Pouliot, Nuge, Eberle, Lucic. FINISH A F***ING GOAL. Please and thank you

It's pretty much everyone in the top 9 but Maroon and McDavid. I don't really count Pitlick as top 9 but if I did, he would also be excluded.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It's pretty much everyone in the top 9 but Maroon and McDavid. I don't really count Pitlick as top 9 but if I did, he would also be excluded.

Agreed. Pitlick is buzzing so Ill actually give him props. 5/6 of top 9 is MIA. Really only Nuge is creating chances but still not scoring. Forgot JP up there too. He needs to step it up too actually but hes a rookie so gets a little pass

This team needs like a 6 goal explosion to get those guys going.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I mean McDavid isn't exactly finishing either...

agreed on this too. Hes creating a ton of chances but not finishing and either are teammates.

My single concern for McDavid is that he cant score from outside with his shot and even worse has a tough time even getting it there. Seems to get deflected a ton. Hes atleast trying to shoot from further more but it hasnt really wowed me.

Il give McDavid a pass for now because hes creating like 200 chances per game. But eventually he himself needs to score

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I think it's safe to say Drai needed Hall more than Hall needed him. Currently Drai is not nearly good enough offensively to carry a line by himself. He needs another driver with him. Get rid of the 3 lines and stack the top 2.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - X - Pitlick

I'm sure a decent #3C won't be too hard to acquire we can't wait for the Drake any longer.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think it's safe to say Drai needed Hall more than Hall needed him. Currently Drai is not nearly good enough offensively to carry a line by himself. He needs another driver with him. Get rid of the 3 lines and stack the top 2.

Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - X - Pitlick

I'm sure a decent #3C won't be too hard to acquire we can't wait for the Drake any longer.

This is Drai's contract year. It's probably a good thing that he doesn't break out before the negotiations.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - X - Pitlick

Did people legitimately think this? This is LDs 2nd full year in NHL. Hall is a 6 year vet with PPG seasons and ones close. But I do agree stacking top 6 is a must

Right now we have 2 watered down lines that do some nice things but dont finish. We need 2 elite lines

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Did people legitimately think this? This is LDs 2nd full year in NHL. Hall is a 6 year vet with PPG seasons and ones close. But I do agree stacking top 6 is a must

Right now we have 2 watered down lines that do some nice things but dont finish. We need 2 elite lines

Going to be tough to do when we have 1 elite player and then a bunch of complimentary players who need to rely on others to produce for them.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Record is

Game/Corsi result

W L
W L
L W
W L
W L
W W
W E
W L
L W
L W
L L
W L
W W
L L
L W
L W

So basically they've only won two games were they won the possession battle. Crazy.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/games.php?season=20162017&stype=2&sit=5v5&team=EDM&rate=n

How about by High danger chance % 5v5?

Game/HDC Result

W W
W W
L W
W L
W W
W L
W W
W W
L L
L L
L L
W L
W W
L T
L L
L T

T for 50% HDC %.

So, if we consider a 50% HDC night as a tossup and W or L is acceptable, only 4 games of 16 don't match up with the high danger chance result.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Even our elite player isn't scoring goals.

He's got 6 points on a 4 game point streak and is 3rd in the league in points. Mcdavid is doing all you could possibly expect out of a 19 year old star player. It's the rest of the forward group that is inept. Frankly it's amazing how productive he's been when you consider how bad the rest of the forward core has been.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
He's got 6 points on a 4 game point streak and is 3rd in the league in points. Mcdavid is doing all you could possibly expect out of a 19 year old star player. It's the rest of the forward group that is inept. Frankly it's amazing how productive he's been when you consider how bad the rest of the forward core has been.

Ya know I am disappointed in his lack of goal scoring.
Disappointed in him and he is still putting up the points.
Just says how special a player he is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Team is going to have problems scoring goals until Draisaitl and Puljujarvi develop I think and that's going to take some time. Also McDavid is fantastic, but he needs to develop his shot (Crosby didn't have an elite release coming into the league either) more.

Until that happens we are probably a bubble team at best.

We don't have an Evgeni Malkin type like the Penguins did past Crosby.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

I appreciate that he's putting up assists but when your linemates aren't scoring why pass to them?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I appreciate that he's putting up assists but when your linemates aren't scoring why pass to them?

Because it's the better play. Doesn't matter if they're cold or hot when you know you don't have a scoring chance where you are. I'd to see him shoot more too but it's asinine to suggest he should only shoot because his linemates aren't scoring.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

His linemates are scoring when he's passing to them. Hence 6 points in his last 4 games...

Problem is that no one else on the team can piss a drop without him.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
One thing that occurred to me is this: it's great that Maroon and Pitlick are playing well enough to skate and even produce with McDavid. Good for them. But how embarrassing is it that the greatest generational talent possibly since Lemieux has to play with a guy who was AHL last year and a 3rd-liner from Anaheim? Looch , Ebs or JP have to step up at some point this/next year or the franchise's shame will be arguably worse than the Leafs' cup drought. We will have taken the greatest talent the game has seen in forever and robbed him of his prime production years. Come ON, boys.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
One thing that occurred to me is this: it's great that Maroon and Pitlick are playing well enough to skate and even produce with McDavid. Good for them. But how embarrassing is it that the greatest generational talent possibly since Lemieux has to play with a guy who was AHL last year and a 3rd-liner from Anaheim? Looch , Ebs or JP have to step up at some point this/next year or the franchise's shame will be arguably worse than the Leafs' cup drought. We will have taken the greatest talent the game has seen in forever and robbed him of his prime production years. Come ON, boys.

I get what you're saying but Maroon is to McDavid as Kunitz was to Crosby: a great complimentary piece that let's their counterpart carry the play and is in the position they need to be. I think we could do better than Pits on RW but Maroon has been fantastic with Connor.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So, if we consider a 50% HDC night as a tossup and W or L is acceptable, only 4 games of 16 don't match up with the high danger chance result.

That actually seems high to me. I would think, unless the oppo goalie stood on his head, you would win those games.

I would have to look more in to how other teams do in that situation to know for sure.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
That actually seems high to me. I would think, unless the oppo goalie stood on his head, you would win those games.

I would have to look more in to how other teams do in that situation to know for sure.

I'm excluding PP there, so there is a piece missing, and also there are definitely the buffalo game in there where Talbot kinda crapped the bed, and ones where goalies just stoned us.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I get what you're saying but Maroon is to McDavid as Kunitz was to Crosby: a great complimentary piece that let's their counterpart carry the play and is in the position they need to be. I think we could do better than Pits on RW but Maroon has been fantastic with Connor.

That's fair. I guess the good news is that when some RW finally steps up we will have one of the best third-line bangers in the league in pitlick.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Honestly Maroon hasnt just been a guy to finish or bang in garbage...he has been creating chances out of very little as well.

The Sekera goal was as much his read and execution as it was McDavid. In Pittsburgh Maroon set McDavid up at the door step for a tap in which would have made it 4-1 but McD was not ready for the puck to get to him. He was too surprised the pass got through.

That duo should be together until they go on a long drought. You can see the chemistry is there in an obvious fashion.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I think having Eberle on the second line is a risk but one we have to take right now because nothing else is going on - secondary scoring wise-. To be honest Kassian has been a zero cost player and has generated offensive chances and retrieval/zone time...so technically it should be pitlick-kassian-eberle. Plus people love to crap on Kass but as i said ive not seen him cost us goals (and i allow wingers to cheat on D not centres--so it says alot that i cant see him cheating). Drais and Eberle and Lucic might work as they seem to run at the same speed.

Biggest problem with Eberle is that he is no longer a guy who goes to the net. He did on a consistent basis during his ELC...but hasnt been that player since. He has been too peripheral and until he changes that he will not get rewarded. Hockey is played to the net.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad