Post-Game Talk: What Comes After Dumpster Fire? Oilers lose 3-1

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
In the gdt, a poster called me out for being negative about the team. I was actually just being honest. Wonder if he'll come back today and tell everyone in this pgt how they're just going out of their way to find things to complain about. If it is true, we don't have to look very hard.

I do think the oilers are a better team than their record in the last 8 games. Hope the coaches can figure out a fix before it's too late.

DustinPenner

Mar 22, 2016
I blame this loss on poster A91 for this post (talking in respect to Grabner)

Karma's a *****

and our inability to finish open net chances from the side of the net, looked like we had 2-3 gimmies that we didn't cash on. While Lucic is a better player as a whole, it's kind of sad our $1.5M player in Maroon has better hands in tight than Lucic clocking in at $6M.

grabner makes 1.6 for next 2 years, 10 goals/13p/plus 15... this user didnt see him while he had confidence hmm? confidence and trust is so important for grabner.... why we cant have him instead of looch :help:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
You're giving too much credit. It was 3-1.

Limit McDavid and the other team most likely wins

well ya that's a given...

That's pretty much what opposing team fans have said all year. It's sad to hear and say it with all this offensive firepower, but I honestly figured that has always been known

Would be nice to see RNH and Draisaitl start putting up some points. Its crazy they only have 15 points combined

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
a62a93f93010826d4e3a662fe93e68677cc9c4eefa491f0bd4910b6801792f08.jpg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This team just isn't very good. Not a single one of our forwards can score to save their lives. You shut down McDavid you win. And even that doesn't seem to be too hard to do.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Even though I've been one to very loudly express my "hate" for Eberle,
I think we are over-reacting a little with these losses. Lets not pretend like we weren't going to go through these growing pains and have these rough stretches.
Dallas was the only one I'm mad with.

This one burns because of how many perfect scoring opportunities were wasted. Empty nets and goalies out of position.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I blame this loss on poster A91 for this post (talking in respect to Grabner)

Karma's a *****

and our inability to finish open net chances from the side of the net, looked like we had 2-3 gimmies that we didn't cash on. While Lucic is a better player as a whole, it's kind of sad our $1.5M player in Maroon has better hands in tight than Lucic clocking in at $6M.

As an aside this was Benning's best performance as an Oiler to date.

I accept full responsibility and blame both losses on myself. Right after I say that the guy has to destroy us in two separate games. I thought I was the only one who'd remember that :laugh:
Also agree Looch has to step it up. He's a leader on the team go out there and play like one.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Time for leadership to step up.

Speaking of leadership. Giving an A to Looch is the same mistake we did with Ference. He's here to play dirty hockey and wreck people, not become a good citizen. The biggest disappointment this season

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The climb out of the cellar is much harder then this team might have thought. They need to rally and get back to what they were doing when they were successful. They need to add more tenacity to their games, they need to be more focus in their game.

I'm concerned, but I'm not panicking or giving up, but things could look better.

Gryba was pretty awful last night. I know I've praised him, but he looked really bad, probably due to the Ranger's speed.

Edit: Liked Kassian back throwing his body at everyone.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Everyone looking for the easy soft goals. We may have outshot and out-corsi'd, but the high danger chances were even, even though we were the ones chasing the game all night.

We're getting away from how we won games earlier this year. Need to get to the dang net. And get to our net to help out. It's getting way too easy for teams to pick pucks up around our net and in the slot again. Lots of lazy play in our zone, many forwards always trying to save energy with flybys around our net instead of hitting the brakes to battle and engaging players. And far too few battles in front of the opposing net.

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Speaking of leadership. Giving an A to Looch is the same mistake we did with Ference. He's here to play dirty hockey and wreck people, not become a good citizen. The biggest disappointment this season
I said this when he as given an A. same with eberle.

somebody outside our top 6 needs an A.
my preference would have been
McDavid C (top 6 leader)
Hendricks A (bottom 6 leader)
Larsson A (D corpse leader)

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

McDavid C (top 6 leader)

Not bad. Though I wonder if Hendricks will be around much longer. I almost wonder about Kassian if he maintains his play. Not immediately. That's a lot of pressure. But maybe later on.
Since coming here he hasn't had any ridiculous antics.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Not bad. Though I wonder if Hendricks will be around much longer. I almost wonder about Kassian if he maintains his play. Not immediately. That's a lot of pressure. But maybe later on.
Since coming here he hasn't had any ridiculous antics.
even if Hendo isn't around for much longer, it wouldn't matter. A's can switch every year if need be, it's not like the C.

tbh I don't even mind Lucic with the A. He had it in Boston and LA. He's that type of player that commands it. Eberle on the other hand? :cry:

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Everyone looking for the easy soft goals. We may how outshot and out-corsi'd, but the high danger chances were even, even though we were the ones chasing the game all night.

We're getting away from how we won games earlier this year. Need to get to the dang net. And get to our net to help out. It's getting way too easy for teams to pick pucks up around our net and in the slot again. Lots of lazy play in our zone, many forwards always trying to save energy with flybys around our net instead of hitting the brakes to battle and engaging players. And far too few battles in front of the opposing net.

Yes, and it takes 2/3rds the width of the rink for some of these guys to change direction. It's inexplicable at this point. There's literally no one left to blame. We've fired/traded everyone 10 times over.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Of the times to luck out and pull a rabbit out of a hat, we win McDavid. Of all the times to pull out rabbit ****, we lose out on Laine.

It's an extremely selfish way of thinking, but yeah we could use that.

Yeah I know, we/I are obviously not in any position to complain, I was just saying "imagine if". I'd gladly lose every other draft lottery prior to 2015 if it meant getting McDavid and Laine lol.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Everyone always worries about the forwards, but we have to break up the dmen.

Klefbom has had a very average to poor start to the season in the 2 hole.

Russell is sorely missed, could be the most important signing for us this off season.

Benning is terrible.

Gryba is what he is. Hes been playing over his head because Benning is so bad.

Maybe
Sekera Larsson
Nurse Gryba
Benning Kelfbom

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
You're giving too much credit. It was 3-1.

Limit McDavid and the other team most likely wins.

This, as it seems the opposing teams are getting a read on how to handle McDavid. It's up to McDavid to figure out how to counter. TMac as well but good luck on that part.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I don't get how we don't score.

McD, RNH, Drai are all considered threats offensively, and only McD is able to choke out points here and there all while teams defensively suffocate him. Nuge and Drai can't even get it going against weaker match ups.

Pulju has zero confidence offensively, shouldn't be up here even.
Lucic and Eberle don't give a ****.

Pitlick and Maroon are the only wingers that get it right now.

At some point you need more impressive numbers from our offense besides their draft pedigree.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Didn't Klefbom have a slow/rocky start last year too?
I predict he gets much better and steadier as season progresses. He was out for nearly 6+ months with no NHL action. He was never going to pick up where he left off.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

McDavid C (top 6 leader)

Interesting use of a misspelling there. I like it! :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad