Post-Game Talk: What Comes After Dumpster Fire? Oilers lose 3-1

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I think we could all agree on one thing this team needs - consistency!
I mean where the hell does all the thinking go sometimes?
- scored on in first two mins of game
- late goals allowed to win games
- stupid penalties not relevant to play
- ALL lines s**t the bed at same time
- chances missed constantly
Why can this team not carry on with the good habits they create instead of reverting to the old 'shellshocked' ones that they have for years? What happened to being a 'hard to plat against' team? We have the personnel. We were doing it earlier, and were successful. Why go away from it? More importantly, why not get back to it?

TMac, if the team is not ready to play at the start of games, you play a part in that responsibility. Why has this been an issue for this club for years? Why is it seemingly getting worse this year, a year where we appear better?
If your staff, specifically Woodcroft, cannot develop the PP better than what is currently in place, then you need to be accountable, or someone else does. This is not make or break contending year for Edmonton, but it has been far too long since we've competed, and this team has shown that it can, so there's no excuse not to on a CONSISTENT basis. I think your coaching abilities are ok, but you haven't seemed to adjust everything you need to, from the Sharks to here. You need to be on top of the bench all 60 mins here, not let the vets ride it out because they know how. Teaching moments aside, they're coaching moments too in a game where match ups and proper personnel make all the difference in the world.
One thing to continue - at least you have my vote - mix and match. If they are not producing, fire em out. I like old school. Doubles. Maroon with McD. Try Pit for a time the whoever until someone clicks.
My last opinion - another old school - Keenan style. He always yarded a line off after they scored. Period. Said too many times they were still thinking about the goal they just scored and not about the next shift and often got scored on.

Sorry for the long post. Frustrated like lots of others.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I blame it on the coach.

your team isnt ready

thats on you

I also agree with getting lines changed after goals. I think that is actually what 90% of coaches do. in my expeerience i only keep a line out there if they were completely fresh and i see it that they are 100% zoned in. Then ill tell them to stay out. Sometimes you just see that they are zoned in. I normally notice right at the goal celly. If they got that "all business" look. also if they glance up at the board ONLY TO LOOK AT the time remaining. If i saw a guy looking for the replay...id pull them off (which they constantly do and it irritates me to see).

While your team is celebrating the other team is getting focussed and their coach is feeling the bench and sending out the guys that are most hungry.

Last edited:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Pulj playing sheltered minutes or playing tons in the A, what do you guys think is best?

I'd would definitely prefer him play heavy minutes in the A to finish the year. He can be the first call up if the Oilers sneak into the playoffs.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Starting to think Tmac isn't the cause of all the problems but is no where as good as we thought he might be. Players still have terrible habits and are not ready for games.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I still think our biggest problem is our defensive depth. Benning and Gryba are 7/8 kind of guys, and we're missing Russell to help get the puck moving quick. Still need that big shot rd.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'd would definitely prefer him play heavy minutes in the A to finish the year. He can be the first call up if the Oilers sneak into the playoffs.

As much as it hurts to say bye to that big body, speed and right shot...i have to agree.

best for him and the org to get him down to the A ASAP.

I like the kid and frankly if he wants to stay up...he needs to be on bodies and hounding pucks which i dont see. He doesnt belong here right now. hes not what we need

ts no fault to him. We need a guy to finish checks. drive the paint. win puck battles.

this isnt the league to learn that in.

heck, if he had been in the A at the start who knows where he would be in devlopment now.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I still think our biggest problem is our defensive depth. Benning and Gryba are 7/8 kind of guys, and we're missing Russell to help get the puck moving quick. Still need that big shot rd.

lets not get picky here. do you see a big shot LHD?
I dont

i see a bunch of dmen...that stand at the line... EVEN when McD and NUGe WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF to collapse the opposition and EARN the D a good 20 or 30 feet. When those centres pass the puck back to the D....Do the D use that valuable space? NOPE! they just sit at the damn line and WASTE IT.

I could actually see a shift where Nuge battled low and won and zipped out to feed the point that had 20 feet in front of them (klef)...d just stood there and i could honestly see Nuges reaction of "really???" "Really??? you give ALL THAT right back to them by standing there like a ******** idiot?" RAngers laugh their *** off internally probably like...'thank you ill take that space back...now you have nothing again'

Is common sense REALLY that difficult?

hockey IQs are REALLLY really REALLY ********* Low on this D squad

what a pathetic D (offensively).Forwards that get teams collapsing then feed the D pucks...need to be rewarded by more than just...'im gonna hold the line'. News flash...THERE ISNT ANYONE CHALLENGING YOU...AT ALL!!!!! MOVE UP!!!!

****id like to see what these spoiled Post-Lockout D would do with the old blue line/ end zone dimensions.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
lets not get picky here. do you see a big shot LHD?
I dont

i see a bunch of dmen...that stand at the line... EVEN when McD and NUGe WORK THEIR BUTTS OFF to collapse the opposition and EARN the D a good 20 or 30 feet. When those centres pass the puck back to the D....Do the D use that valuable space? NOPE! they just sit at the damn line and WASTE IT.

I could actually see a shift where Nuge battled low and won and zipped out to feed the point that had 20 feet in front of them (klef)...d just stood there and i could honestly see Nuges reaction of "really???" "Really??? you give ALL THAT right back to them by standing there like a ******** idiot?" RAngers laugh their *** off internally probably like...'thank you ill take that space back...now you have nothing again'

Is common sense REALLY that difficult?

hockey IQs are REALLLY really REALLY ********* Low on this D squad

what a pathetic D (offensively).Forwards that get teams collapsing then feed the D pucks...need to be rewarded by more than just...'im gonna hold the line'. News flash...THERE ISNT ANYONE CHALLENGING YOU...AT ALL!!!!! MOVE UP!!!!

****id like to see what these spoiled Post-Lockout D would do with the old blue line/ end zone dimensions.
Klefbom is starting to look dangerous from the point and has a pretty heavy shot. Most of our D men are still pretty young. I completely disagree with your hockey IQ comment considering the age of our blueline. Sekera is the one that baffles me, smart smooth skating good passer but can not miss a shot blocker to save his life.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Pulj playing sheltered minutes or playing tons in the A, what do you guys think is best?

I'd prefer him learning the NA game and culture in the AHL.
but to be fair, he isn't the problem with the team in the last 8 games. he's way down on the list.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Klefbom is starting to look dangerous from the point and has a pretty heavy shot. Most of our D men are still pretty young. I completely disagree with your hockey IQ comment considering the age of our blueline. Sekera is the one that baffles me, smart smooth skating good passer but can not miss a shot blocker to save his life.

Since Sekera first came here... I saw him as a really patient player with the puck... calm and methodical... of course the flip side is that he gives the opposition time to key in on him as well... hence all the shot blocks.

Really Sekera needs someone with a cannon on his pairing... they don't even need to be particularly smart... just someone who can get a big shot off quickly without thinking. :)

Someone like Franson. :)

Sekera-Franson I bet would be a solid pairing. One cerebral, steady LD and a big booming shot on the right side.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
A save in the first minute would be very nice. Talbot has been very good for us, but their is a trend for those first couple shots.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
16 games into the season and all the Oilers D combined has 0 goals and 3 assists on the power play.

I haven't looked at other teams totals... but my guess is that's got to be one of the lowest in the league and goes to show the lack of offense the D is generating.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
16 games into the season and all the Oilers D combined has 0 goals and 3 assists on the power play.

I haven't looked at other teams totals... but my guess is that's got to be one of the lowest in the league and goes to show the lack of offense the D is generating.

Huge issue, and not just 5 on 4, its also a issue 5 on 5.

This forum thinks its all on the forwards, but its not.

Russell right now is a huge huge loss.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013

Isn't the power play on home ice somewhere around 8%?

I mean, I get that Woodcroft isn't likely to be fired, but can't they bring someone else in to help? That's ridiculous.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

that pretty well sums up the problems with scoring, especially on the PP. not going to win many games with that lack of production from the D.
pathetic.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Had to turn off the game after the second. The last few games have soured me on this season. Can't watch all the missed chances and broken defensive plays. Deja vu again.

Depth took a massive hit with Russell out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad