What city would you rather play in?

What city would you rather play in?

• Total voters

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
All expensive COL cities, might as well just because I could. A penthouse in Vancouver would be very nice, considering hockey is the biggest show in town you'd also be one of the biggest fish in a medium pond.

Barring that I'd pick Los Angeles or Miami. The rink would actually be a nice respite from the heat. If you played in Edmonton or Minneapolis you'd just be going from cold to...cold.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
VAN/EDM/TOR.

Each have their positives and negatives. Would definitely prefer anywhere in Canada over anywhere in the States...Gimmie that USD.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
A lot of bad answers here.

A UFA would be anywhere from 26-28 years old. Depends on how much ufa years were in the previous contract.

The 2 main things you are going to look at is
1. Am I going to win a championship here?
2. Can I raise a family here or will my wife be happy here?

that’s it.

Some of the weird posts wanting to be a millionaire in LA or Vegas.
Man, that’s messed up.
A hockey player like that won’t find success and nor would you want that player on your team.

twitter-picture-of-kane-holding-stacks-of-cash-stirs-social-media-hornets-nest.jpg

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't understand the high votes for a place like NY. It's literally a "concrete jungle"
Even if you're rich and live in Manhattan, you're overwhelmed by how huge the city is. There is zero contrast in terms of nature, space, etc...
I'd prefer Boston over NY any day of the week if I had to choose the U.S East coast; Montreal if I had to pick a city in Canada (best city in Canada IMO) - Vancouver and Toronto fall in the same trap as NY.
I don’t understand anyone that feels this way about NYC honestly. I mean, I completely understand, I just could imagine it for myself. Stepping out into Manhattan is one of the most incredible things I’ve ever felt in my life, and, like you said, “overwhelming” is exactly how I’d describe it...like standing in the middle of everything.

I lived there for three years without spending money on anything besides rent, and I was far from a millionaire. Falling asleep on the 15th floor while gazing out from a dozen blocks away at the Empire State Building silhouetted by a gray-pink sky and the cloudy glimmer of the rest of Manhattan sprawling north with no horizon in sight. I wouldn’t trade that for anything.

But, you’re certainly not alone on that.

Vancouver is soul-crushingly beautiful and another place that I can’t imagine not thoroughly enjoying.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nashville seems like a nice place. Not to big, you probably get alot of privacy, good tax laws. Warm

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Nashville or Raleigh, would also pick Atlanta if they were still in the league. I like a hint of all 4 seasons, the Piedmont region provides that.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
A lot of bad answers here.

A UFA would be anywhere from 26-28 years old. Depends on how much ufa years were in the previous contract.

The 2 main things you are going to look at is
1. Am I going to win a championship here?
2. Can I raise a family here or will my wife be happy here?
1. The thread rules basically said that the team roster is irrelevant. Let's assume everyone is a contender.
2. If you are a millionaire sports athlete, I would assume you are fine pretty much everywhere you go when it comes to the safety of your family etc.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
That's more due to how Vancouver is drawn up (with Vancouver the city only having roughly 700,000 residents), compared to Toronto for example which amalgamated our equivalents of Surrey, Richmond, and Burnaby. Its also on the smaller side of major North American cities in just general regional population (2.83m in the lower mainland). I believe that measurement only accounts for Vancouver, and not what makes up Metro Vancouver region. But, I could be wrong on that.

I just find it surprising someone would call Vancouver too big city and grouped with NYC and Toronto (and really, NYC is in its own universe in North America).

I used to live in Vancouver, and I agree with you. When I first came to Chicago I realized what a truly big city feels like. Vancouver is not small, but it is much smaller than Chicago.

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
1. The thread rules basically said that the team roster is irrelevant. Let's assume everyone is a contender.
2. If you are a millionaire sports athlete, I would assume you are fine pretty much everywhere you go when it comes to the safety of your family etc.

no it didn’t

You're a hotshot NHL free agent who has offers from all 31 teams. Make a decision only based on the city (contract offers are all equalized hypothetically; do not make decision based on state/federal taxes)

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
Make a decision only based on the city....
Yes. Is that city going to win a championship?
Is that city a great place to live and raise a family?

What do you mean by only?

It’s a very stupid hypothetical question?

where do you want to work regardless how good or crappy your employer is and the quality of your life?

Is it based on the city’s infrastructure?
The night life?
The shitty government?

you have to consider all variables including the chance of winning a championship?

The only variable you removed in your original post was income.

so regardless of income which city do you want to play in?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Yes. Is that city going to win a championship?
Is that city a great place to live and raise a family?

What do you mean by only?

It’s a very stupid hypothetical question?

where do you want to work regardless how good or crappy your employer is and the quality of your life?

Is it based on the city’s infrastructure?
The night life?
The shitty government?

you have to consider all variables including the chance of winning a championship?

The only variable you removed in your original post was income.

so regardless of income which city do you want to play in?

Yes, emphasis on city. You mixed city aspect with team aspect. Team being a contender or not has nothing to do with my statement. Why are you mixing raising a family (valid reasoning) with chances of championship (nothing to do with city).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, it comes down to where I'd want to live. I'd not want to live in USA, so it'd need to be Canada. I'd pick Vancouver out of these.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Smaller city with a big airport. I might sound completely biased here, but I would absolutely say Raleigh.

You could get a very comfortable home for pennies on the dollar compared to any of the larger cities, yet its still actually a city where there are things to do. And if you want to travel to places like Vegas, LA, New York, Toronto, Paris, London, Cancun, there are daily direct flights out of the airport that are relatively cheap.

Its a good way to bank a lot of cash real quick while still living the lifestyle a player would want.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
NYC / LA / Florida / Nashville too but they have to get rid of the vomit yellow jersey and albatross yellow helmet then I'll go

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Why are chicago and st. Louis together in this scenario? Theyre atleast a four hour drive from eachother

Edit - nevermind just saw your explanation

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Toronto for sure.
Big city and I'd get to dunk on Simmons when he does his usual hit job.
Ottawa would be my other choice, because there's no pressure playing here and our sports media is extremely servile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad