What Can We Get For Ramo?

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Minny needs a goalie, Ramo could fit that mold. I would love to see coyle in a flames uniform. Don't know what it would take though. Probably more than we could offer. But something around Ramo and Raymond++ could start it off

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Minny needs a goalie, Ramo could fit that mold. I would love to see coyle in a flames uniform. Don't know what it would take though. Probably more than we could offer. But something around Ramo and Raymond++ could start it off
I saw several Wild fans say Coyle will not top out better than a #3 RW. Kinda concerns me if their own fans say such a thing about their young player but he seems to lack the skill-set to become a good Top 6 forward.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I really like Ramo. Understandably, somebody will get dealt with Ortio in the wings.

My question is how much would it cost the Oilers to obtain him? He's a starter IMO. He has the game. Does Burke do this and if so, what does it cost us? Further to that, have there been any rumours about him and free agency?

Thanks in advance.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really like Ramo. Understandably, somebody will get dealt with Ortio in the wings.

My question is how much would it cost the Oilers to obtain him? He's a starter IMO. He has the game. Does Burke do this and if so, what does it cost us? Further to that, have there been any rumours about him and free agency?

Thanks in advance.

Since your 2nd rounder is basically a 1st, we would have to add on our end to obtain it.

I'd do Ramo + something minor to get the 31st-35th OA pick. Would absolutely hate to see Ramo in Edmonton, but if it was for your 2nd I'd do it. I guess you have to dump a goalie on us, so we'll just put Fasth on the bench.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Since your 2nd rounder is basically a 1st, we would have to add on our end to obtain it.

I'd do Ramo + something minor to get the 31st-35th OA pick. Would absolutely hate to see Ramo in Edmonton, but if it was for your 2nd I'd do it. I guess you have to dump a goalie on us, so we'll just put Fasth on the bench.
I'd do that in a heartbeat. I'm not sure the "management" here is intelligent enough to recognize the opportunity to get a high calibre goalie. They blew it on Schneider IMO. They should have paid the 1st plus.

Ramo just has the swagger and confidence. He also has the game. He's just a solid goalie.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd do that in a heartbeat. I'm not sure the "management" here is intelligent enough to recognize the opportunity to get a high calibre goalie. They blew it on Schneider IMO. They should have paid the 1st plus.

Ramo just has the swagger and confidence. He also has the game. He's just a solid goalie.

Then again, maybe Hiller would be a better option for you. Scrivens/Hiller would be a good duo. I'm a little hesitant on Ramo, as I do see the same swagger/confidence in him that makes me want to keep him too.

I think most of us want to keep Ramo, but if he has to be dealt, we won't be mad.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Ramo is good but he's not a "high calibre" goalie that's going to turn the Oilers' fortunes. Put him behind Schultz, Nikitin & Co. and you'll get the same old results. Niemi would be a better option for you guys IMO.

As for the Flames, at the moment I'm slightly more inclined to trade Hiller than Ramo. But really, the best course of action is to sit and wait until the deadline and see what's up. I'd be fine with keeping both guys for a playoff push as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

If we're trading Ramo to the "Oilers", we add nothing. Think about it, how many times would he face us? It would be Ramo for their 2nd and something else small IMO.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Ramo is good but he's not a "high calibre" goalie that's going to turn the Oilers' fortunes. Put him behind Schultz, Nikitin & Co. and you'll get the same old results. Niemi would be a better option for you guys IMO.

As for the Flames, at the moment I'm slightly more inclined to trade Hiller than Ramo. But really, the best course of action is to sit and wait until the deadline and see what's up. I'd be fine with keeping both guys for a playoff push as well.

Do you see him as a starter though? That's what I meant by high calibre. A guy that is a bonafide starter in the NHL. The goalie market looks pretty thin so he's a guy I'm interested in if available.

I totally agree on the state of D on the Oilers. That is a bigger issue but not related to this thread so I won't go on about it.

Berra got a 2nd iirc. Ramo seems better to me. I'd think Ramo gets a better return than Berra did no?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If we're trading Ramo to the "Oilers", we add nothing. Think about it, how many times would he face us? It would be Ramo for their 2nd and something else small IMO.

I don't think Ramo is worth the 1st pick of the 2nd round, but that's just me. However, I could see Edmonton doing it because they have 2 1sts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do you see him as a starter though? That's what I meant by high calibre. A guy that is a bonafide starter in the NHL. The goalie market looks pretty thin so he's a guy I'm interested in if available.

I totally agree on the state of D on the Oilers. That is a bigger issue but not related to this thread so I won't go on about it.

Berra got a 2nd iirc. Ramo seems better to me. I'd think Ramo gets a better return than Berra did no?

It's hard to compare Ramo's value using Berra as a basis, because Berra was a situation where we weren't really looking to deal him but the Avs were willing to pay whatever it took to get him (for some reason).

Ramo is a pending UFA. I don't expect to get significantly more for Ramo than we did for Berra, despite Ramo being a significantly better goalie. He is a starter if he gets the opportunity.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Ramo is a pending UFA in a buyer's market for goalies in that not too many teams need a goalie of his caliber.

Likely would get a 3rd round pick, see Dubnyk trade

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ramo is better than Duby and Berra. UFA or not, trading a starting goalie to our arch rivals should not come cheap. I'd ask for their 2nd minimum as a starting point. A goalie never forgets the team that traded him and each time he faces that team, he's highly motivated to beat them. I'd rather let Ramo walk than get just a third round pick from the Oilers because of the long term ramifications.

It's similar to how the Nucks wanted more for Schneider from the Oilers than the Devils.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ramo is better than Duby and Berra. UFA or not, trading a starting goalie to our arch rivals should not come cheap. I'd ask for their 2nd minimum as a starting point. A goalie never forgets the team that traded him and each time he faces that team, he's highly motivated to beat them. I'd rather let Ramo walk than get just a third round pick from the Oilers because of the long term ramifications.

It's similar to how the Nucks wanted more for Schneider from the Oilers than the Devils.
Agreed, there needs to be that rival-tax

that said, it would be stupid for the Oilers to make a move for a pending UFA unless they can pre-negotiate a contract.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Ramo is likely worth more than Ramo + Raymond.

Raymond is in the 1st year of a 3-year deal with a cap hit of $3.167M.

He has lately been a healthy scratch of a bubble playoff team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

You mean... Ramo-fications?

You didn't see your opportunity and you didn't take it. :shakehead

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
^ AS... Bad jokes, bad GDT's. He's on a role

6639364.jpg

Trae

Calgary
I very much prefer Ramo to Hiller, but I don't think there's a market for Hiller's contract, so it doesn't really matter. I don't think there's going to be anything significant coming our way for Ramo, so I'd keep him for the playoff push at the expense of the 3rd (optimistic) round pick we'd get for him. Hiller is shaky at times, we can all agree on that, so it would be nice to have both around, with a side of Ortio. I would then try to trade Hiller this summer and resign Ramo, play Ramo/Ortio 50/32 isn next season.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011

I wouldn't call him a bonafide starter, not yet at least. He could very well establish himself as one within the calendar year but right now he's still that 1A/1B tandem guy. Not unlike Ben Scrivens, actually. But going with guys like that is a bit of a gamble as you probably know. I just think the Oilers would be better off spending that 2nd rounder (+more) to grab Niemi from SJ, preferably with an extension in place. You could also do a lot worse than Ramo for sure though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly wouldn't trade Ramo for Niemi if the opportunity presented itself. Niemi is more inconsistent than Hiller. Yes he's a starter, but he's not that reliable over the course of a season. Ramo has had some stretches where he looks unbeatable, I do think he's a starter but he needs to iron out a few things in his game. As I said earlier, I think he needs to be played like a horse, he needs lots of games to thrive and get in a rhythm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad