What Can We Get For Ramo?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I guess Hiller does have more playoff experience that might be a bit more enticing for a contending team that could use a solid 1b.

I don't mind which one goes, as long as Ortio is eased into the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ramo has not been as good as Hiller, it hasn't even been that close.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Their situations so far this season have been markedly different, though, so a direct comparison is not the best, in my opinion.
Please, Hiller has quite a bit better numbers despite playing nearly twice as much. When he's not at his best he and Ramo are close, but he has the game stealing ability that Ramo seems to lack. Hiller also gets less goal support when in net and plays our tougher opponents.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If this year is competition for a goaltending spot on the team next year (I am already assuming Ortio is taking the back up job given how well he's done in the AHL), Hiller looks to be taking the job away from Ramo. I like Ramo too, but Hiller is proving that he deserves the spot on the roster right now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Please, Hiller has quite a bit better numbers despite playing nearly twice as much. When he's not at his best he and Ramo are close, but he has the game stealing ability that Ramo seems to lack. Hiller also gets less goal support when in net and plays our tougher opponents.

You say "despite playing twice as much," but I'm not sure "despite" is the right word in this case. Ramo really only started playing well last season once he was given the reigns and allowed to own the crease for a while. Over the course of his tenure here, he's never been that great at spot duty. Add to that that we're dealing with small sample sizes here, especially with Ramo. I'd argue Hiller getting more starts is a factor in his favour.

I'd also say both goalies have game-stealing ability. Remember the game Ramo completely stole from New Jersey last season?

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Personally, in terms of style, I prefer Ramo to Hiller. He's more acrobatic in his movements, especially laterally, and we saw in the last several games that Hiller let in some goals that would require strong lateral movements - not that he should've saved those goals, but at the time I had thoughts like 'what if Ramo was in net?' Like the win Ramo had against the Sharks, I thought that was arguably the best game Ramo had for the Flames. Just my preference in prototypical Finnish goalies like Kipper who play a finesse butterfly style. It's just unfortunate Ramo wasn't able to perform consistently because I think he has the abilities to post the level of SV% and GAA Hiller is producing at the moment.

However, with all things like style, contract situations, and value aside, there is no doubt Hiller has been better in stopping pucks than Ramo this season. So really I would not have a problem if Hiller is kept over Ramo, or even vise-versa.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
You say "despite playing twice as much," but I'm not sure "despite" is the right word in this case. Ramo really only started playing well last season once he was given the reigns and allowed to own the crease for a while. Over the course of his tenure here, he's never been that great at spot duty. Add to that that we're dealing with small sample sizes here, especially with Ramo. I'd argue Hiller getting more starts is a factor in his favour.

I'd also say both goalies have game-stealing ability. Remember the game Ramo completely stole from New Jersey last season?

Exactly Ramo is much better when he gets to play consecutive games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

We can argue all we want and its unlikely to change because we both had these opinions prior to the season as well. But in the end Hartley appears to prefer Hiller which makes me feel like I'm right :p

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We can argue all we want and its unlikely to change because we both had these opinions prior to the season as well. But in the end Hartley appears to prefer Hiller which makes me feel like I'm right :p

Well, Hartley's been going with the hot hand. But the hot hand right now does not necessarily equal the best goalie for our future.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Hiller wouldn't even get you that much more in a trade even though he is hands down the better goalie. I think the Flames should trade hiller, in my mind he hasn't proven he can be a starter over the past 2 seasons and would like to see Ortio up here next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, Hartley's been going with the hot hand. But the hot hand right now does not necessarily equal the best goalie for our future.
Neither is the best goalie for our future, they are (and I expect there could be more) a stop gap until Ortio or Gillies is ready to be a starter.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Neither is the best goalie for our future, they are (and I expect there could be more) a stop gap until Ortio or Gillies is ready to be a starter.

Which is why, if you're dealing one, you should deal the one with higher value as your priority. But I also disagree with you. I don't think Ortio or Gillies will be full-time starters for a few years.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Which is why, if you're dealing one, you should deal the one with higher value as your priority. But I also disagree with you. I don't think Ortio or Gillies will be full-time starters for a few years.
I would move the pending UFA because we don't know if Ramo will actually re-sign, I would hate to move Hiller then have Ramo walk as a UFA.

But I agree that Gillies or Ortio may be a few years away (Ortio could maybe in 2 years, Gillies maybe in 4), which is why I figure we will have other stop gaps besides Ramo and Hiller :P

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Everyone here just has a hard on for Ramo and wants the Finnish goalie we got to become a top tier goalie when he has shown at best so far to be a strong backup and decent to below average starter

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Everyone here just has a hard on for Ramo and wants the Finnish goalie we got to become a top tier goalie when he has shown at best so far to be a strong backup and decent to below average starter
Everyone is a strong word, since it is clearly not everyone :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

At best he was a really solid starter for us for over half a season. But people seem to forget about that. :dunno:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At best he was a really solid starter for us for over half a season. But people seem to forget about that. :dunno:
I'm not forgetting this, I just think Hiller has been better than solid. I would still say Ramo has been solid, but I feel Hiller has been better. In no way would I be upset if Ramo were the one to stay, I would just personally hold onto Hiller and sign him to a 1 year extension this summer if possible.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not forgetting this, I just think Hiller has been better than solid. I would still say Ramo has been solid, but I feel Hiller has been better. In no way would I be upset if Ramo were the one to stay, I would just personally hold onto Hiller and sign him to a 1 year extension this summer if possible.

You weren't. The poster I quoted was.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
One of these guys has to go, either sign Ramo or trade him. There has to be a playoff team out there that isn't satisfied with their goaltending and could use either Ramo or Hiller. I keep thinking back to Cammy and how we could have used that extra pick to get a defensemen like Dysin Mayo or Ben Thomas. While not the end of the world its these situations which are going to extend our rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad