What Can We Get For Ramo?

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think I'm the only one who doesn't really want to trade either. I like keeping the tandem for the stretch run. I don't honestly think we'd get more than a third rounder for Ramo, and I don't think teams are going to be lining up for Hiller, not at least until after the draft so they can see where their chips lie for next season.

I don't really prefer one goalie over the other. Ramo has shown flashes of brilliance but he is still unproven as a starter, and seems to be injured pretty often. Hiller has some pretty damn bad games here and there but overall is pretty solid, and has a much more proven track record. But if we go with just Ramo I'm not entirely confident.We also can't trade Hiller unless we get Ramo signed first, that would be a bad idea. We also can't commit to more than a two year deal to Ramo imo, he hasn't earned anything more.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
How do people think that if Dubynk got a 3rd that Ramo wouldn't get at least a 2nd? Other than Brodeur, there really isn't much available in the goalie market right now. I'm not saying Ramo or Hiller will get a 1st, but if Dubi got a 3rd, I think it's more than reasonable to suggest Ramo is worth a 2nd, maybe even a prospect? I know Dubynk played well this year, but I'd take Ramo or Hiller over him any day of the week and I think most GM's would agree. Dubynk is prone to have some of the worst games I've ever seen a goalie play.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
How do people think that if Dubynk got a 3rd that Ramo wouldn't get at least a 2nd? Other than Brodeur, there really isn't much available in the goalie market right now. I'm not saying Ramo or Hiller will get a 1st, but if Dubi got a 3rd, I think it's more than reasonable to suggest Ramo is worth a 2nd, maybe even a prospect? I know Dubynk played well this year, but I'd take Ramo or Hiller over him any day of the week and I think most GM's would agree. Dubynk is prone to have some of the worst games I've ever seen a goalie play.

Because other than his terrible year last season Dubynk isn' that bad, has a few seasons more than Ramo of more game action, and has been ten times better this season than Ramo has.

Ramo only gets a 2nd if it's similar to a Berra situation and people target him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Because other than his terrible year last season Dubynk isn' that bad, has a few seasons more than Ramo of more game action, and has been ten times better this season than Ramo has.

Ramo only gets a 2nd if it's similar to a Berra situation and people target him.

10 times better? I wouldn't call 9 wins in 19 starts 10 times better than Ramo getting 8 in 16 unless my math is incorrect. Ramo even has a better GAA over the last 2 seasons, so I'm not really sure what exactly you're using to base your argument on. Neither the Oilers or Coyotes could be said to have much better rosters than the Flames either so I have to say I disagree with your argument whole heartedly. All the evidence suggests Ramo is a better goalie and visually I think Ramo has a superior toolbox over Dubynek and I think he's far more mentally strong.

Dubi getting a 3rd is actually amazing for us because that's setting the bar for the goalie market. Ramo has had amazing stretches of play this year but people only remember his latest struggles and base his overall play this season of that stretch and it's inaccurate.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Dubnyk is all that was available to the Wild, they had no other options as a result he was targeted like Berra was so his value rose.

I honestly don't even know why this is a topic though, as long as we are in the race, Ramo is going nowhere.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Dubnyk is all that was available to the Wild, they had no other options as a result he was targeted like Berra was so his value rose.

I honestly don't even know why this is a topic though, as long as we are in the race, Ramo is going nowhere.

That may have been true before Ortio came up, but seeing as he looks as capable as the other two, cashing in on one goalie at the TDL might not be the worst idea ever.

Not trading a goalie would by no means be a mistake, though, IMO.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That may have been true before Ortio came up, but seeing as he looks as capable as the other two, cashing in on one goalie at the TDL might not be the worst idea ever.

Leland Irving looked just as good when he first came up too. Ortio has what 11 NHL games now? It is not nearly enough to convince me he is ready to carry the reigns if Hiller goes down with an injury during what looks like a playoff push.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Yeah it may be a little premature but the TD is fast approaching. While a very small sample size, Hartley has spoken very highly of Ortio and he has lots of confidence in him. Ortio will be up here next season and if the plan is not to resign Ramo, it would be a mistake to not deal him if Ortio proves to be competent in a back up role over this next stretch of games. As you said, there was nothing else available to the Wild which caused to Dubi's value to rise. I really don't see the goalie market changing much either in the next month so hopefully we can cash in on Ramo if he is dealt say to a team like the Isles.

IMO Ramo is a better goalie than Dubnyk, so I think we would be able to get a 2nd for him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The stretch run is important and all, but they can't lose sight of the long term picture. If Ramo's not their guy going forward, they have to move him by the trade deadline. Ortio has been stellar in the AHL for almost two seasons now and hasn't looked out of place in the NHL - serving as a backup to Hiller for the rest of the season and next year shouldn't be a problem.

The good news is another team might be looking for a backup in Nashville. That makes Tampa Bay (if they're unhappy with Nabokov), Islanders, and the Capitals as potential trade targets.

They may want to consider making a move soon as the Nucks, Oilers and Sabres have goalies they want to move as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The stretch run is important and all, but they can't lose sight of the long term picture. If Ramo's not their guy going forward, they have to move him by the trade deadline. Ortio has been stellar in the AHL for almost two seasons now and hasn't looked out of place in the NHL - serving as a backup to Hiller for the rest of the season and next year shouldn't be a problem.

The good news is another team might be looking for a backup in Nashville. That makes Tampa Bay (if they're unhappy with Nabokov), Islanders, and the Capitals as potential trade targets.

They may want to consider making a move soon as the Nucks, Oilers and Sabres have goalies they want to move as well.

Exactly, and considering the lack of options available we should be able to maximize our return on Ramo to the most of the situations potential.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Ortio potentially winning a Calder Cup as a starter could be just as important to our future as a draft pick that has a less than 50% chance of ever turning into an NHL player.

Having him in the AHL playing as a starter is not losing sight of the long term picture.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't call him a bonafide starter, not yet at least. He could very well establish himself as one within the calendar year but right now he's still that 1A/1B tandem guy. Not unlike Ben Scrivens, actually. But going with guys like that is a bit of a gamble as you probably know. I just think the Oilers would be better off spending that 2nd rounder (+more) to grab Niemi from SJ, preferably with an extension in place. You could also do a lot worse than Ramo for sure though.
Scrivens isn't a tandem starter. He's brutal. He's simply a good backup. He's starter here because, well....Oilers. I get what you are saying though. All that said, I'd take Ramo over both our goalies in a heartbeat. His talent level seems very high from the games I've watched.

Maybe he gets games in the playoffs like Andersen did and ups his value? Then you have a guy who maybe has shown he's worth signing but extra cost too. All the same, it would be good to have all three available for the playoffs. Ducks found out that this is a wise idea last year.
Ortio potentially winning a Calder Cup as a starter could be just as important to our future as a draft pick that has a less than 50% chance of ever turning into an NHL player.

Having him in the AHL playing as a starter is not losing sight of the long term picture.
I don't see a losing situation either way for Ortio. He's simply fantastic but for sure winning a championship would be great as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad