What are your realistic expectations for the 'tear down'?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo there are certain guys who should be trade but the timing is everything, for example my ideal plan would be to unload the UFA's by the deadline, move Kessel and Phaneuf at the draft and then Lupul/Polak at next years deadline. the rest I would hold onto until there is a player who can replace there positions baring someone overpaying for these players, for example I would keep Bozak until we produce someone who can handle top 6 minutes at center. I would give Gardiner atleast another year to see what we have in him. the reason imo you keep Lupul one more year is because with Kessel gone our top line becomes JVR - Kadri - Lupul. if by some miracle Lupul can stay relatively healthy playing top minutes both 5on5 and PP he could have an excellent year and really raise his trade value, also there would be one less year left on his contract. that's why I would wait on a Lupul move.

Durkin67

Realistically, Lupul and Winnick are going to be seeing the post season with other clubs. The return will be moderate for Lupes, maybe a low first if they eat a million. Winnick maybe lands you a 2nd and a middling prospect.

The return, coupled with how their absence will affect their ultimate draft position makes it worthwhile...

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Voted: Some by 2nd, some at the draft, the rest by training camp

It's going to take some time to move out the core, and get reasonable returns for the rebuild (which still hasn't officially started until a core piece is moved). Teams are not going to be lining up to us to accept the contracts of Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf, and Lupul. Clarkson is staying, whether we like it or not. :cry:

To still have the same exact core intact for the start of the 2015-2016 season would be an atrocity, so I do expect that the demolition would be well under way by this date.

Mar 26, 2010
Expectation is to see Phaneuf traded. Anything less will be a failure.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
How low is the cap floor ?

EDIT: NHL sets 2014-'15 salary cap at $69 million, floor at $51 million

I want to be at the cap floor ASAP.

Expectation is to see Phaneuf traded. Anything less will be a failure.

Does it matter if we take Salary back ?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if Winnik was the only player dealt at the trade deadline.

Overpaid underperforming players with term are tough sells in an uncertain cap world ahead, particularly if you also want valuable assets in return and not just looking to dump contracts.

So my expectations are low and the scorched earth desire is going to be glacial melting like not quick and easy. People are going to be disappointed if they think this is going to be like taking off a band-aide fast and pain free.

People will blame Shanahan for the delays in player movement, but don't hate the playa' hate the game.

I agree. I get the feeling all the 'patience for a rebuild' here will go out the window oce they see how long it will actually take to turn over this roster and get value in return. The "fire Shannahan" threads should be qued up for March 3rd, but I for one am grateful for the patient approach.

I can see a couple of UFA's being moved by the 2nd, and possibly the outside chance of one contract player (Bozak, Lupul, Robidas, or Polak) with likely retained salary.

There won't be a huge market for other guys until after the rush of free agency dies down, and teams know where the cap stands, and what their teams need.

I think the other thing to expect is smart deals where we move a bad contract for a bad contract with less term - for example a Robidas with2years left for a worse deal with only1 year left.

Mar 26, 2010
Does it matter if we take Salary back ?

To move Phaneuf you are either taking a bad contract back in return or retaining salary. Either way, it has to be done. This franchise does not move forward until he is out.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I have such a hard time expecting anything done well

they could do something stupid like move kadri or something, who knows!

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
I wish they could trade both. I would be very happy.

Just think realistically we only move one. They are both big time deals that don't really happen a lot.

If we're going to trade one... PLEASE let it be Phaneuf. At least Kessel can rip a few for us.

But seriously, Phaneuf needs to go. The leadership change will be extremely important for our new group coming up. I don't want our young kids anywhere near Phaneuf.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Will be surprised if anyone other than Winnik is moved by March 2nd.
I think the leafs "core" will still be with the team at next seasons training camp.
Trading the large & long term contracts will prove to be more difficult and complex than some believe.

Last edited:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Get rid of all UFA's before trade deadline. Get as much as you can, even a 7th round or a bucket of pucks, but get rid of them. I would like to see a few non=free agents traded as well, but that is not as vital. Start working on more trades & acquisitions prior to draft & throughout off season. Make every effort to get rid of Phaneuf & Kessel. Most important find some REAL leaders, whether through trade or free agency. If you have real leadership in the dressing room you can start bringing up young players sooner then without.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
But seriously, Phaneuf needs to go. The leadership change will be extremely important for our new group coming up. I don't want our young kids anywhere near Phaneuf.

I just mentioned something very similar. I think bringing in proper leadership is vital to the rebuild, hopefully Shanny has an inside tract to that.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think the Leafs realize they can't trade these guys for anything useful so they keep them.

They need to draft good players from now on otherwise dumping our players only makes us worse(if that's possible).

We're bad with them and we'll be bad without them - same thing - woe and wisery and doom and despair for years to come.

Enjoy. I know you'll keep buying the tickets and going to the games.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I voted for the deadline next year because I don't imagine Phaneuf and Kessel(and JVR if they decide to trade him) will get fair value that quickly. Hell they might not even be gone by then.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm expecting maybe Bozak now being the only guy moved at the deadline, maybe Lupul but I dont expect anything big and wouldnt be one bit suprised if they keep Lupul.

I think the big trades (KESSEL AND PHANUEF) will happen at the draft with us getting a nice package of goodies for Kessel. Wont lie it would be really exciting to have 3 first rounders in a draft of this magnitude. Phaneuf will get dealt for a pick and lesser prospect.

I think they keep Polak around to be the "rebuild" leader and show some of these young players how to be a pro.

I would say the lineup starting next season would look something like this.

JVR - KADRI - LUPUL
PANIK - HOLLAND - CLARKSON
KOMAROV - UFA - NYLANDER
BROWN - CARRICK - KOZUN

RIELLY - POLAK
GARDINER - ROBIDAS
PERCY - GRANBERG

BERNIER
BIBEAU

That UFA 3rd line C should be in the Winnick/Santo mold. A guy you can get for 1 year at like 1-2 million and be able to deal him 3/4's into the season. Reimer will most likely be dealt for a prospect or mid round pick. Midseason look to trade Lupul or or JVR if they will fetch a solid return. Not a very good team on paper but gives some of our prospects a oppurtunity and with the team most likely getting a top 5 pick.

Going forward a core of Rielly, Kadri, Nylander, 2015 top 5-7, 2016 top 5-7 and Bernier could be a strong team in 3 years time.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
fascinating

just listened to dave no no talk about these trades

he still has not used the word rebuild in any form

and now has switched his tone about players with term to

" if the trade makes sense and improves the club"

i'm not sure how trading term guys for picks and prospects fits into that sentiment.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Didn't realise Kessel was the entire core, and no, unlike many here apparently, I don't believe that all of them need to be traded. I have no interest in being the Oilers.

A few years ago it was the islanders, Tampa bay, etc. with Kessel we haven't finished much better then the oilers anyways.

We started our retool right around when Florida started their rebuild, which team would you say is better off right now and in the future??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad