What are your realistic expectations for the 'tear down'?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
It seems like some here are expecting the NHL 2015 version of a rebuild, with half the roster traded in the next week. Realistically speaking, what do you think is the proper time it would take to move out all of the pieces that need to be moved as part of the 'burn it down' process?

Please remember this is the salary cap NHL and not a video game :laugh:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Must trades (preferably deadline/draft): Winnik, Bozak, Lupul, Holzer, Jokinen

Off season: Trade one of Phaneuf or Kessel

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It seems like some here are expecting the NHL 2015 version of a rebuild, with half the roster traded in the next week. Realistically speaking, what do you think is the proper time it would take to move out all of the pieces that need to be moved as part of the 'burn it down' process?

Bozak/Winnik deadline.
Kessel/Phaneuf draft/summer.

Done. Rebuild.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Voted for:

UFA's and maybe 1 or 2 roster players by the 2nd, the rest at the draft.

If Winnik + Bozak and/or Lupul can go by the deadline I'll be happy. I understand you can't trade everyone at once and big contracts are tough to move in-season.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Winnik will definitely be gone by the 2nd.

Booth, Jokinen and Holzer will stay on the Leafs. They don't have any value and we need warm bodies.

Bozak or Lupul could also be gone by the 2nd, and will definitely be gone by the start of next season.

I doubt Kessel and Phaneuf will be moved until at least the draft. I hope they'll be gone by training camp, because if they're not it means management couldn't get the value they wanted and will probably keep them.

Polak will be traded next deadline.

Everyone else will not be traded in the foreseeable future.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm mixed. I think we'll see the UFA's go, hopefully one or both of Bozak and Lupul come March 2nd. Depending on how the lottery goes is where things get murky concerning Kessel.

If the Leafs by some miracle win the draft lottery and are in a position to draft McDavid, I see Kessel staying. I know he's flawed and has been a key piece in our collapses but I'd at least like to see what he could do with a truly skilled centre. At least for the year, it's not like his value will decline if at all come this time next year. If the Leafs more likely don't win the lottery and pick 4th or 5th and end up with one of Hanifin, Strome or Marner, Kessel should be dealt in the summer. We've waited forever to get Kessel a #1 centre, and it'd be nice to start McDavid off with a talented scoring winger by his side.

Phaneuf should be dealt regardless of what happens at the draft. Captain's got to go down with his ship, and Rielly looks to be coming into his own and is ready to have the defence shaped around him.

JVR we can afford to hold on to at least until next TDL. No rush to trade him as he's young enough to stick around. Unless an offer blows our socks off he should stay.

Bernier should be re-signed. For how much I'm not sure. He's struggled this season as has the rest of the team. Committing to him now long term would solidify him as the teams current and future #1 goaltender, ending the debate and giving us stability in goal for the foreseeable future.

Clarkson is going to be here. Him and that contract aren't going anywhere for a while. And honestly it doesn't matter. This team won't, or at least shouldn't, be near the cap next year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I wish they could trade both. I would be very happy.

Just think realistically we only move one. They are both big time deals that don't really happen a lot.

I agree, I see only one of the two moving.

Despite Kessel being the most valuable asset on the team in terms of trade prospects, I see him surviving the entire thing (gut feeling).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Remember this took 7 years of this current accelerated retooling to get us into this mess, so I expect the clean-up and recovery process to also be long and difficult road.

The blessing in disguise is the job done by the past and present GMs was so bad that its producing tanking like results with the current player personnel and returning top 10 draft picks the very thing the new draft rebuild will be fueled by.

So while the desire to make significant and numerous changes exists, there is also no need to rush the repair process either, and Shanny can be patient waiting for deals to materialize that he feels benefits the team in the future.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I imagine the definition of the bolded would vary considerably between many here and what the Team thinks.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The majority that think the tear down will be done by the draft should expect to be disappointed soon. Things just don't happen that fast in pro sports.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
2016 draft

I suspect it could be done quicker, if they aren't too concerned about the return.

Unfortunately, the top paid players, Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, Clarkson, van Riemsdyk are probably going to be the toughest to peddle and get a good return on.

And the Leafs have bought out how many players in the last decade?

Wow, expectations shouldn't get out of hand with their track record.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I've still yet to see anyone who works for MLSE confirm this scorched earth approach.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Doubtful they get full value for Bozak or Lupul at the trade deadline. They along with Phaneuf and or kessel will be better off traded either at the draft or in the summer. The thing is, if we luck out and get a McDavid or Eichel, they would do well to have a Kessel on their line. So keep Kessel if we get that franchise centre. Trade Phaneuf regardless.

Hopefully all ufa's are gone at the deadline. Except maybe sign Holzer to a 2 year deal before the end of the season.

It's going to take a while. The tear down is easy if you don't expect value back. It's complicated if you want full value. It requires patience, luck and some other team to have a need. Personally I think you have to take a little less to move forward, those contracts need to be moved.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Couple bodies moved before the trade deadline but not any of the big 2. Could see Lupul grabbing a first If we retain some of his salary, specially with the little bidding war that's going on right now, Pit's is also interested in Winnik maybe take some cap back get a first and a good prospect.

Bozak I'd love to see moved but it just seems like a lot going on so quickly, Lupul, Winnik, Bozie all gone around the same time, I dunno.

I'm hoping before the draft to see Phaneuf and Kessel both moved but like it was mentioned earlier might only actually see one moved, Kessel has more value but he also helps us more, I do want to see his return though, I'd like to get an NHL ready blue chip prospect and a first at the least.

What do people honestly think we can get for Phanuef? I don't think he has negative trade value as much as some people say that, but I don't believe his return is going to knock our socks off either, maybe first and a pretty good prospect? That's with no salary retained, we retain some salary and I believe we can get a crazy deal.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Well we'll see how much management actually wants to move. Is it actually the plan of management to move all of Bozak, Phaneuf, Kessel, and Lupul? It can be done if that's what they want to do, but trading four guys signed for 3-6 years isnt something I recall any team doing.

Buffalo sold off Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Miller, Ott, etc over the past few years, but these guys were all sold as pending UFAs or guys with 1 year left on their contract.

Toronto moving out a core thats signed longterm would be one of the first times that has happened as far as I can recall.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
But you leak it into the media?

Sounds to me like a good way to calm down the restless natives. Give them some possibility for hope in a season devoid of any.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I think in relative terms, it will be fairly quick - but that only means that most, if not all the core is only gone by the beginning of next season.

I expect Winnik, and probably at least one core/active member will be gone. Most likely to go with Winnik at the deadline are Bozak, Lupul if anyone bites on that, Phaneuf. But it could be anyone really if the right deal materialises.

At the draft, some deals will be offered, but I sincerely doubt we actually deal anyone for a draft pick. Everyone will hold on tight to their picks.

In the summer, I expect most of the core to be gone.

Of the current roster, if looking at the top 3 lines and top 6 D, and goalies too, I expect only the following to remain:
Kadri, JVR, Komarov, Holland, Clarkson
Reilly, Gardiner, maybe Polak (Holzer will still be there too)
Bernier

If one or two of the core are still there - with the exception of Kessel or Phaneuf - I'm ok with it, it just means that we couldn't get good value for them, and we can pump them up for a trade midseason next year.

It'll be one more "burnt" year (next season), and we should draft top 10 again. The year afterward, we might actually start having a competetive, developing team. Year after, who knows? Playoffs and beyond, I hope.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Winnik
Holzer
Lupul
Phaneuf

will be gone by next year.

I think Bozak and Kessel will still be on the Leafs next year.

We'll see though.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
But you leak it into the media?

Sounds to me like a good way to calm down the restless natives. Give them some possibility for hope in a season devoid of any.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Now there is someone who understands the ways of the politic.:handclap:

The media dupe, a clever feint

Can't vote, my option is not there.

1 UFA by the TD and 1 player with term on his contract before the season starts and thats it.

The list of excuses and reasons why so few will be longer then the amount of players turned over.

They will point to the new top 10 pick and very late 1rst and claim the rebuild is strong in this city.

This organisation lost my trust a long time ago and have done nothing yet to even start to earn that back.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Must trades (preferably deadline/draft): Winnik, Bozak, Lupul, Holzer, Jokinen

Off season: Trade one of Phaneuf or Kessel

I agree, we only move one of Phaneuf or Kessel this season. More likely Phaneuf.

It is going to be very important Toronto does not rush the kids, they still need to earn their spot. This will be extremely important to the future attitude of the team. We should be targeting more UFAs like Santa and Winnik who are looking for prove yourself contracts in a huge media market like Toronto. Lupul, Santa, Winnik, Raymond, maybe even Bolland can be used as examples of what this market can do for their future earnings. Allows us to add some more mid round picks for the rebuild at the trade deadline. I would also like to see us more aggressive on the waiver wire after training camp. Panik was a great add this season.

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Panik - Holland - UFA enticed by Top 6 Min.
Komarov - UFA - Clarkson
Hartikainen - Carrick - Leivo
Kozun

Rielly - Polak
Gardiner - Granberg
UFA - Robidas
Percy

Easily comes bottom 5 but has great development opportunities for the bolded, and increases trade value of the underlined.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
Knowing the Leafs they will just trade Winnik and then say more will be done in the summer. The Leafs will win after the deadline because there is no pressure and management will say "we saw good results with this team towards the end of the year we are going to build around them" it's a continuous cycle with the Leafs every year

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I really want to keep Kessel for one season without Bozak and JvR on his line.

I want to see Kessel with Kadri and perhaps a guy like Komarov for 82 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad