What are your realistic expectations for the 'tear down'?

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
If either one of Kessel or Phanuef are here for 2016 then I will not consider it a teardown if they aren't wonderful it is a tear down and hopefully we can tank enough to get one of Sean Day or Chypchurn

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree with this.

Some further development of Rielly, Nylander making the jump in the next few years and adding a top 5 pick this year and likely another top pick next year is a lot of premium assets coming along can change the look of this team in short order.

+ Add in a lot of asset depth from dealing non-core pieces like Franson, Winnik, Santo, Polak, Jokinen, Bozak, etc. will have our system well stocked for a few years down the road.

hahahah, i see what you did there

so what about the assets from trading our core guys out?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There is talk that the Cap will not go up and stay at $69 mil for next year.

That means its going to be very difficult to move Kessel or Phaneuf etc. and so even if the team wants major change moving these big contracts are going to be tough.

The good part is that even with this core the Leafs are a bottom 10 team and even a bottom 5 team in some years and so the team is able to land top prospects like Rielly, Nylander and top pick this year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

That means its going to be very difficult to move Kessel or Phaneuf etc. and so even if the team wants major change moving these big contracts are going to be tough.

The good part is that even with this core the Leafs are a bottom 10 team and even a bottom 5 team in some years and so the team is able to land top prospects like Rielly, Nylander and top pick this year.

if the players do not use escalator that cap will in fact drop by about 1.5m ish

makes sense why they floated the media feint about the tear down, they already had their excuses coming down the horizon.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

I don't think it would be that difficult to move Phaneuf. The return might not be all that great but there would be takers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
if the players do not use escalator that cap will in fact drop by about 1.5m ish

makes sense why they floated the media feint about the tear down, they already had their excuses coming down the horizon.

Actually Hockey Central today claimed the NHLPA is not going to use their escalator option for next year.

That means big contracts with term will be tough to move.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
hahahah, i see what you did there

so what about the assets from trading our core guys out?

Of course.

Some current core pieces are very likely to still be part of the core a few years from now like Bernier, Kadri, JVR.

Current core piece Phaneuf is likely gone. Kessel as well. Both will bring back good returns + lots of extra cap space. Lupul is also gone but I predict not till next deadline.

Gardiner I predict as being moved by the draft next year as he continues to get his stock back up. He's a left Dman which we are well set at and he's isn't a complete Dman but Rielly will be the top PP left Dman option so we can't max out Gardiners value. Percy + Finn will be cheaper and younger.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Needing to also be considered is how awful this free agency group is shaping up to be.

At forward Vermette is likely to be the most coveted forward.

On D, Phaneuf is better than anyone available although there are some good Dmen namely Boychuk (but people overlook this is a career year for him so everything is going right but what happens when (not if) he takes a step back).

LaCarriere

I don't think it would be that difficult to move Phaneuf. The return might not be all that great but there would be takers.

If it were so easy to move him I think he'd be gone by now. I don't think there will be any more or less interest at the deadline because of his contract. Teams have limited cap space, and I'm guessing are a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a trade not knowing what the cap situation will be next year.

Quickest I think he realistically goes is in the offseason, but if the cap doesn't go up I wouldn't be surprised to see him still a Leaf next year. It's not often you see guys with contracts that long moved, especially ones that are under heavy criticism. The return is probably a Richards type contract (which is basically a second clarkson deal) in return with a middle ranked prospect. That doesn't really help at all.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If it were so easy to move him I think he'd be gone by now. I don't think there will be any more or less interest at the deadline because of his contract. Teams have limited cap space, and I'm guessing are a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a trade not knowing what the cap situation will be next year.

Quickest I think he realistically goes is in the offseason, but if the cap doesn't go up I wouldn't be surprised to see him still a Leaf next year. It's not often you see guys with contracts that long moved, especially ones that are under heavy criticism. The return is probably a Richards type contract (which is basically a second clarkson deal) in return with a middle ranked prospect. That doesn't really help at all.

I disagree. Unlike the UFAs there's really no rush to ship out the Kessels, Bozaks, Phaneufs of the world. We can be a little more patient and try to get the best return possible. Nonis may feel tht he can get a better deal in the summer or at the draft.

Personally I don't think MLSE will go full on napalm on the team.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Needing to also be considered is how awful this free agency group is shaping up to be.

At forward Vermette is likely to be the most coveted forward.

On D, Phaneuf is better than anyone available although there are some good Dmen namely Boychuk (but people overlook this is a career year for him so everything is going right but what happens when (not if) he takes a step back).

Agreed, could be a fairly good market for Nonis. Maybe Phaneuf doesn't go, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Polak get something and I would not be shocked if Jake went as well in the off season.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
The Clarkson trade may not abort the tear-down but I am sure they will keep all options open, including a quick re-tool. A re-tool will need to involve major players being shipped out though. If a #1C became available the path could become very uncertain.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm mixed. I think we'll see the UFA's go, hopefully one or both of Bozak and Lupul come March 2nd. Depending on how the lottery goes is where things get murky concerning Kessel.

If the Leafs by some miracle win the draft lottery and are in a position to draft McDavid, I see Kessel staying. I know he's flawed and has been a key piece in our collapses but I'd at least like to see what he could do with a truly skilled centre. At least for the year, it's not like his value will decline if at all come this time next year. If the Leafs more likely don't win the lottery and pick 4th or 5th and end up with one of Hanifin, Strome or Marner, Kessel should be dealt in the summer. We've waited forever to get Kessel a #1 centre, and it'd be nice to start McDavid off with a talented scoring winger by his side.

Phaneuf should be dealt regardless of what happens at the draft. Captain's got to go down with his ship, and Rielly looks to be coming into his own and is ready to have the defence shaped around him.

JVR we can afford to hold on to at least until next TDL. No rush to trade him as he's young enough to stick around. Unless an offer blows our socks off he should stay.

Bernier should be re-signed. For how much I'm not sure. He's struggled this season as has the rest of the team. Committing to him now long term would solidify him as the teams current and future #1 goaltender, ending the debate and giving us stability in goal for the foreseeable future.

Clarkson is going to be here. Him and that contract aren't going anywhere for a while. And honestly it doesn't matter. This team won't, or at least shouldn't, be near the cap next year.

Glad to be wrong. :)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Actually Hockey Central today claimed the NHLPA is not going to use their escalator option for next year.

That means big contracts with term will be tough to move.

has to be speculation at best

seeing how a player vote in the summer decides the issue and not just the top of the NHLPA.

so unless they pole the entire players union , they have nothing to stand on.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
With the leafs deep pockets and $8M in cap space they could take on some bad contracts on cap stricken teams in exchange for preimium prospects, high draft picks.

I think rushing into Free agency or trading to fill up cap space to become a contender is a bad approach.

They need to draft in that generational talent top 8 range for the next few years.

They will get a great player in this years draft to really kickstart their rebuild.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I don't think Kessel's character is loud enough to really affect the locker room one way or the other.

He's not the leader, never claimed to be, an doesn't need to be. That does not mean he is a hindrance or a negative on the team.

I agree with this 100% .... I think the talk about Kessel "polluting" the room is way overblown ... he's not one of the leaders, and I highly doubt he's a guy the young ones look up to.

Here or gone - he will not have any effect on the room - it's guys like Phaneuf and Lupul that we need to move to change the culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad