What are your hopes/expectations for crosby this season?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Watch a European football game some time.

i do lol and i don't know what you're talking about. there's subjectivity in all refereeing but to my knowledge there are few sports and leagues out there that are as brazen in their calling the scoreboard/player as nhl hockey is. soccer is one head ref to 22 players on a giant field, the ratio isn't comparable and they also receive much more scrutiny. if you think soccer refs are biased the way nhl refs are then idk that's wrong, the nhl is pretty absurd in that regard

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't follow other major sports... if someone were to ask like "what are your expectations for Lebron James" on a Cavaliers forum would the entire question and discussion be centered on how the refs decide to enforce the rules? I can't tell if this is all really sad and I'm just desensitized to it or what.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Hockey's the only major sport that has a systemic even-it-up mentality. I think you see make up calls on occasion in every sport, but in hockey it's more pervasive, and it's been there as long as I can remember. Going along with that mentality has been, in recent years, a move toward neutering stars. It wasn't always like that, but it's part of the reason scoring is down. A great example was when the refs essentially stopped calling more than 1 or 2 penalties against the Pens last year when the PP was on fire. They only started getting more calls when the PP came back to earth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad