What are your hopes/expectations for crosby this season?

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Last year was the worst year of his career... and he was still the most productive player in the league on a per game basis. So I don't see any reason to think he won't be the front runner for the Art Ross again if he stays healthy. Especially if he plays with Kessel. When your worst is still the best it's hard to bet on anyone else really.

As far as specific numbers, I have no idea. Depends on too many factors(officiating, linemates, PP, etc). Could be anywhere from 85-110pts I'd say. The days of 130pt players seem long gone.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That all sounds reasonable (and I actually had you at least partly in mind while composing that post) but we still are going to be largely where we are next season. We've seen this fish, before. And somewhat recently, even. By the time the NHL decides it's time to do something about their mostly-**** product... it's going to be the likely twilight of Crosby's career. A shame.

You have put together several very good posts about why the league has largely found itself in this predicament. So you know as well as I do that it will take at least several more years (and executive hirings/firings. EDIT: And perhaps another lockout?) to get the wheels moving.

Well, Campbell is definitely the root of the problem. But if NBC gets mad enough, it's a NBC/Bettman problem. CC's job title doesn't grant him the power to tell a primary business partner to go jump in a lake. The angrier NBC gets, the less say hockey ops has in how the game looks.

NBC isn't going to not notice that basketball's riding high on the strength of star power, while the NHL is stagnating on the weakness of "the logos"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well, Campbell is definitely the root of the problem. But if NBC gets mad enough, it's a NBC/Bettman problem. CC's job title doesn't grant him the power to tell a primary business partner to go jump in a lake. The angrier NBC gets, the less say hockey ops has in how the game looks.

NBC isn't going to not notice that basketball's riding high on the strength of star power, while the NHL is stagnating on the weakness of "the logos"

Maybe. I hope.

This has been well over a decade now and I'm not really in a place that I can do much research ATM but didn't ESPN drop hockey well ahead of the (2004-2005) lockout due at least partially to a garbage product and lack of ratings? From what I remember it sure seems like the NHL was very slow on the uptake to turn the last DPE around. And I'm reluctant to say anyone has learned anything especially seeing as how we just went through ANOTHER lockout.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Maybe. I hope.

This has been well over a decade now and I'm not really in a place that I can do much research ATM but didn't ESPN drop hockey well ahead of the (2004-2005) lockout due at least partially to a garbage product and lack of ratings?

No. ESPN dropped hockey due to lack of resolution to the lockout during the lockout.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No. ESPN dropped hockey due to lack of resolution to the lockout during the lockout.

Ah, OK.

For some reason I thought it was at least several seasons prior to 04-05.

You'll understand if I'm still rather pessimistic about them "getting it." Like you yourself said... they aren't the swiftest at recognizing and resolving issues with their brand.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think I remember one of the main espn producers saying they never felt hockey worked on tv and it's too regional for national coverage.

Gotta kind of agree there. Everyone into basketball is interested in what James is doing. Blackhawks bandwagoners could care less what kessel or crosby are doing.

Last edited:

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
NBC isn't happy, though. Not. One. Bit. The playoffs did open up considerably after they saw the ratings and took their objections to Bettman. Ratings are money and the SC Playoff ratings were real, real, real bad. Bowling bad.

I think the NHL will have a little more scoring next year. Some token encouragement to call a few more stick fouls or something. It won't be enough, but it is what it is. If the ratings are still bad, next summer, you're going to start seeing more radical ideas to increase scoring being legitimately considered.

NHL is always 5 years late to do something about any given problem. I'd put us in year 3.

Where did you get this information? I've heard nothing about them changing the league. Bettman seemed happy with the garbage clutching and grabbing.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I think I remember one of the main espn producers saying they never felt hockey worked on tv and it's too regional for national coverage.

Gotta kind of agree there. Everyone into basketball is interested in what James is doing. Blackhawks bandwagoners could care less what kessel or crosby are doing.

How many people would watch outside of Cleveland if James was getting tackled 30 feet away from the ball like Crosby does every night?

The NHLs problems are pretty easily corrected if it wasn't run by idiots. You build around the stars and offense. The NFL did and didn't look back.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
How many people would watch outside of Cleveland if James was getting tackled 30 feet away from the ball like Crosby does every night?

The NHLs problems are pretty easily corrected if it wasn't run by idiots. You build around the stars and offense. The NFL did and didn't look back.

It's pretty much this, the league is self destructive because it is geared towards shutting down offence. Watching a star pull off a crazy move and score is awesome. Watching a star get tackled by a scrub isn't. It's not difficult but it's a league that caters to the lesser players.

I think part of it is to do with parity because having your weaker teams in smaller markets almost make the playoffs should be good for the bottom line. Clutch and grab evens the playing field and helps that happen. The rest is just stupidity. I don't buy that it's an attempt to cut down on head injuries, and if it is you circle right back around to stupidity because if you really want to do that you put the fear of God into the players about it.

Enforce the rules to make it exciting again, and if you really care about player safety scare them ****less about hitting someone else in the head and end fighting.

Hire a ****ing focus group to tell you that and ignore any retired scrubs who disagree.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The European style refereeing kills me. A penalty should be a penalty whether it's in the first minute of game one in the season or triple ot in game seven of the cup finals.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The European style refereeing kills me. A penalty should be a penalty whether it's in the first minute of game one in the season or triple ot in game seven of the cup finals.

yep. There would be a ton of penalties early. It would be frustrating honestly. But players would learn what is allowed and they would adjust eventually.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
A lot will depend on how our powerplay does. If it spends over half the year being putrid again Crosby ain't winning any hardware.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Goal wise I expect around the same, assist wise I expect a ton more. Ross should be in the bag.

If he plays with Kessel.

Kessel is a good playmaker. I could see Crosby scoring more if he goes back to his shooting mentality.

I realize I said 30 60
But I just want atleast 30 goals. It could be 40 55 or 40 50

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
failing to enforce ones own rules certainly questions the legitimacy of either or both the rules or rule enforcement.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
refs calling everything they see would be less "deciding the game" than seeing penalties and literally deciding when to call them and when to let them go. Its mind boggling.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
refs calling everything they see would be less "deciding the game" than seeing penalties and literally deciding when to call them and when to let them go. Its mind boggling.

They're passively deciding the game but that's not as flashy as actualy doing their jobs.

What drives me crazy is that they have the technology to do this properly. Spend 5 seconds reviewing every call, review every goal, have cameras covering the entire rink to catch the **** behind the play and give coaches x number of calls for review, etc. Maybe it's extreme but they have no excuse for so much going unchecked.

Put the fear of god in them about dirty plays, ffs. The players and teams would learn.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They're passively deciding the game but that's not as flashy as actualy doing their jobs.

What drives me crazy is that they have the technology to do this properly. Spend 5 seconds reviewing every call, review every goal, have cameras covering the entire rink to catch the **** behind the play and give coaches x number of calls for review, etc. Maybe it's extreme but they have no excuse for so much going unchecked.

Put the fear of god in them about dirty plays, ffs. The players and teams would learn.

I am fine with them wanting to avoid replay. I would allow a challenge or two or whatever, but I don't think every call should be reviewed. But they need to hold them more responsible for the quality of their reffing. Review the games. See how much the refs are missing and how many calls they get wrong. Find refs that miss as few and get as few wrong as possible.

As for things like the heavy slashes or punches or whatnot, up the punishment for those. Review games for this stuff and start giving out suspensions for cheap shots. A slash with the puck in a guys feet is one thing, but when the puck isn't even near the guy you're slashing that **** shouldn't be tolerated.

Oh, and get the refs to stop conversing with the players. Talk to the captains about game things and give guys warnings or whatnot, but otherwise nobody talk to the refs. The refs need to get themselves above the game, not dig themselves down into it by joining the trash talk.

Between those few things, I think the quality of product the NHL can put out would drastically increase.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Make up calls, calls based on reputation, not wanting to make calls that "decide" the game, "managing" games instead of just calling them, etc

that's european? i've only heard of it in the nhl which is a north american league i think

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

Their pea brains haven't realized you decide entire freaking playoffs by not making calls.

I thought it was hilarious when everyone complained about the boarding call scuderi drew in the nj la finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad