What are your expectations in the standings for the 2022/23 CBJ?

Where do they finish

• Total voters

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kuemper is the best goalie they've had in a long time.

They were a solid team last year with awful goaltending and Backstrom unable to skate out there.
Kuemper is not that good. IMO

Yeah he’s better than Samsonov, Vanecek, and probably Grubauer but that’s not special. That’s also assuming his eye injury isn’t as serious and long term as it was rumored to be

Reactions: MAHJ71

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
So you'd agree that it wouldn't make sense to expect the Caps to be worse than last year because of goaltending.
I would agree with that. I wouldn't expect the goaltending to drop them down the Metro but I think their aging roster will and they could fall hard. I'm not sold on them.

Pittsburgh's core is old as well but I think they have more pieces to continue to be a playoff team but their Cup runs are over and they are on the decline.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

So we got a much cheaper version of Morgan Rielley, Darnell Nurse, and Roman Josi?

1661294967864.png

Interestingly, Ben Chiarot signed a 4 x $4.75 million contract (more than Gudbranson) and they are right next to each other.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I voted just outside the playoffs but we are right there.
I expect a slow start to the year (a young team hopefully learning how to play defense but with plenty of offense), that will be pretty good late in the year. If we can get in we could be scry to play if they guys can play defense and get goaltending (both are unknown).

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So we got a much cheaper version of Morgan Rielley, Darnell Nurse, and Roman Josi?

View attachment 579125

Interestingly, Ben Chiarot signed a 4 x $4.75 million contract (more than Gudbranson) and they are right next to each other.
I rather have Gudbranson than Chiarot. Chiapet is just overrated. Both are overpriced, but almost 5M for a 3rd pair D is just dumb.

Reactions: Easternbull

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
TA just did an article projecting the standings in the Metro. Twelve beat reporters ranking teams 1-8. Eight points for first, seven points for second, six points for third.....one point for last. So a perfect score would be 96 for penthouse and 12 for the basement.

There's commentary and explanation with the article but to summarize:
Canes (90), Rangers (82), Pens (71), Caps (52), CBJ (47), Isles (41), Devils (36) and Gritty (13).

That said, this is the type of situation where Torts thrives. His teams underperform when talented with high expectation and overperform when icing an eager AHL+ roster with low expectations.

Reactions: majormajor

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
TA just did an article projecting the standings in the Metro. Twelve beat reporters ranking teams 1-8. Eight points for first, seven points for second, six points for third.....one point for last. So a perfect score would be 96 for penthouse and 12 for the basement.

Canes (90), Rangers (82), Pens (71), Caps (52), CBJ (47), Isles (41), Devils (36) and Gritty (13).

That said, this is the type of situation where Torts thrives. His teams underperform when talented with high expectation and overperform when icing an eager AHL+ roster with low expectations.
Philly not being trash may help break up the 100 point stronghold in the east which could help us

Finner

Dec 8, 2018

Cant understand why Pens and Caps are above us? Retirement homes both of them

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Fun fact, in the nine seasons since we switched from the Western Conference to the Eastern Conference we have finished higher in the standings than Pittsburgh exactly zero times and Washington just once (that first year 2013-2014 when we beat them out for the final playoff spot 93-90).

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because while everybody expects their core stars to eventually be chased down by Father Time, predicting when it happens is a fool's bet pretty much every time. There's this curious phenomenon in which superstars tend to have longevity, probably because they're so damned badass that even being slowed down by age results in a very good hockey player.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Voted playoffs — I guess I just have faith that the defense/goaltending are not as bad as last season (maybe more so I think Elvis will be a lot better).. just enough that they barely make the playoffs.

After that, we all know anything can happen.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad