What are your expectations in the standings for the 2022/23 CBJ?

Where do they finish

• Total voters

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Teams I feel are better than the CBJ:
Toronto
Carolona
NY Rangers
Florida
Tampa
Boston
Pittsburgh

Teams that are definitely worse than the CBJ:
Montreal
Philly

So we will be battling with the Capitals, Islanders, Senators, Sabres, Wings and Devils. I voted “just miss the playoffs” but honestly could see them finishing bottom 5 in the East as well.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Teams I feel are better than the CBJ:
Toronto
Carolona
NY Rangers
Florida
Tampa
Boston
Pittsburgh

Teams that are definitely worse than the CBJ:
Montreal
Philly

So we will be battling with the Capitals, Islanders, Senators, Sabres, Wings and Devils. I voted “just miss the playoffs” but honestly could see them finishing bottom 5 in the East as well.
Curious on why you think Boston is firmly better, considering they are very old and some of their best players will be out passed November? Not saying you’re wrong, just wondering.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Curious on why you think Boston is firmly better, considering they are very old and some of their best players will be out passed November? Not saying you’re wrong, just wondering.
My thought is that Boston will tread water until December then push to maybe 5/6th overall in the East when fully healthy.

Without Marchand and McAvoy:
Hall - Krejci - Pasta
Debrusk - Bergeron - Smith
Zacha - Coyle - McLaughlin
Freddie - Nosek - Foligno

Lindholm - Carlo
Forbort - Clifton
Zboril - Reilly

That’s still pretty good top to bottom, and I think there is a chance Lysell could make the team and be an upgrade to the middle 6.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Playoffs (barely) and early exit. We'll go only as far as the defense and goaltending allow us to go - which admittedly, may not be this far.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
U guys are my dark horse east team to "surprise everybody"

I like what you guys are building in CBJ...especially once Jiricek arrives.

Reactions: Realgud

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
My expectations are for them to make the playoffs. Realistically this season is going to be mostly unpredictable especially early. They can finish anywhere from a playoff team to a lottery team.

Reactions: NotWendell

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Worst defense in the league last year was barely addressed. Won't have any issues scoring, but I see a lot of odd man rush goals against, again. Going to be a finesse team that gets pushed around, that is reliant on a counter-attack.

I'm not all-that-convinced on this staff's ability to develop, as well. This season hinges on the development of a lot of players.
Firmly a bubble team. But on the uptrend.

As with all bubble teams, they could make it if injury/puck luck is there, and miss it if not.
These 2 posts pretty much sum up my feelings. I believe Gudbranson will help out more than some think, but, I think another move was needed on defense. I don’t know how Jarmo could make it work but they still have depth at forward and need a top pairing defenseman.

That said, Blankenburg seems to be the TYPE of defenseman that will help the team, I just haven’t seen enough of him to make an evaluation tbh.

I think lineup decisions and “chemistry” will have a big impact on how the team performs.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Worst defense in the league last year was barely addressed. Won't have any issues scoring, but I see a lot of odd man rush goals against, again. Going to be a finesse team that gets pushed around, that is reliant on a counter-attack.

I'm not all-that-convinced on this staff's ability to develop, as well. This season hinges on the development of a lot of players.
Hmm.. Sillinger , Texier, took massive leaps with their development , Laine looked worlds better last yr. Really thought Roslovic become much more rounded player, Peeke and Boquist got better the second half of season.

I do agree that this seasons success hinges on the defense not being a dumpster fire, and the Metro became even more of a juggernaut this off-season .

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
With 2 PPG forwards, 40pt dman, and a whole bunch of depth that includes 4x1st round picks trying to get a spot on the team. Even with injuries we should be a lock for a playoff spot. If we don't make the playoffs, and the D is horrible again? Even if we barely miss the playoffs; Larson will have to go.

Players should realize this is their team now, seems unlikely they will get any big name FA or trades until Voracek's contract comes off the books. This is the team. I'm betting on a lot of players being better than last year, most importantly Elvis, and I have no reason to think he won't have a bounce back year. He's entering his prime as a goalie. Sillinger should be a 20/20 player (hoping he hits 50-60pts) and steps into a 2nd line center role fulltime (although I wouldn't be upset if Roslo took it from him). I can see Boqvist and Peeke having much better years with Gudbranson taking pressure off them, aka Savard role. As for the rest, I'm sure it will be fine.

Hoping for a deep run, playoffs at minimum.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
With 2 PPG forwards, 40pt dman, and a whole bunch of depth that includes 4x1st round picks trying to get a spot on the team. Even with injuries we should be a lock for a playoff spot. If we don't make the playoffs, and the D is horrible again? Even if we barely miss the playoffs; Larson will have to go.

Players should realize this is their team now, seems unlikely they will get any big name FA or trades until Voracek's contract comes off the books. This is the team. I'm betting on a lot of players being better than last year, most importantly Elvis, and I have no reason to think he won't have a bounce back year. He's entering his prime as a goalie. Sillinger should be a 20/20 player (hoping he hits 50-60pts) and steps into a 2nd line center role fulltime (although I wouldn't be upset if Roslo took it from him). I can see Boqvist and Peeke having much better years with Gudbranson taking pressure off them, aka Savard role. As for the rest, I'm sure it will be fine.

Hoping for a deep run, playoffs at minimum.

Vs

Savard

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Stats... =(
I was expecting: Well what team from the metro isn't, post your list!

I hate this fanbase

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
We've reached the peak of summer threads. With the dust settling (probably) on player additions, the only thing left is to determine a few roster spots between young guys.

As the title says, what are your expectations for the team this year?

Also, what would be deemed a "successful" season in your minds?

I would say it was largely believed that last season was in general a successful one, given the expectations and youth of that roster. I don't think many people expected us to make the playoffs, and I think some people thought we'd be at the top of the lottery. We weren't (with our own pick at least), and a lot of young guys showed offensive growth.

Now with Gaudreau here and Laine locked in. Werenski and Elvis' big boy contracts are now kicking in, and a few prospects banging on the door trying to make the team. The expectations are raised although the youth remains.
What is the difference between narrowly missing the playoffs and being in the middle of the pack?

32 teams in the league, 16 make the playoffs.

Kindly reformulate the poll.

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
I don't see a playoff push but if everything clicks and another team (Vancouver, LA, Boston,)has an off year we could be close.

Vegas is another team that could really struggle .

Can you elaborate? I just do not understand the logic!

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Does that suit your needs better, sir/maem?

I was just hoping we could get into a long debate about what it means to be a lottery team again.

I think the team will be a lot better this year, and the main weakness of inexperience on D was addressed not by a roster overhaul, but by getting Peeke, Bean, and Boqvist 60-80 games of experience a piece last year. We no longer have rookies making up half of the group. Couple that with the addition of Gaudreau, experience for other players at key positions (Sillinger, Roslovic, Elvis), another wave of even more skilled youth to add to the depth… And I think the middle of the east is not improving (Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Isles). I think we got a good shot to make it.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
99p wild card spot. 1st round win against Toronto 4-2. 2nd round defeat against Carolina 4-2.
Things to bring up
Laine nets 45goals
Gaudreau most points 32+59
Werenski top Dman 23+40
Sillinger breaks 21+31
Marchenko 25+19

Reactions: Monk

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Offensive talent is there. defense is still suspect. I expect that keeps us out in a tough division. We shouldn't have to try and win every game 5-4.

Reactions: Fro

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The point is that prime Savard that we saw in Columbus is too lofty an expectation for Gudbranson. Think closer to Dalton Prout.
Are people really expecting Savard from Gudbranson?! The only one I would hope would be able to (eventually) play like Savard MIGHT eventually be a guy like Peeke.

Gudbranson is just a more physical version of Prout.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Mike Johnson believes

I was just saying yesterday that Mike Johnson is the best analyst in the business.

Though I'm not personally expecting the Caps to call off this year, I like their depth more than I've liked it in a long time. Fehervary is a big add for their D and Connor Brown was a nice pickup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad