What are your early thoughts on Holland?

How do you feel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I've really liked his summer. Targeting players who are in the prime on team friendly deals, and relying on competition to sort out the clutter are a good moves for a team that's seemingly grown complacent. Even the main rookies looking to win a spot are guys who have several years of pro experience.

Hopefully that's one of the bigger changes with this team this year: the lacking level of maturity/professionalism. For his part, Hollands seemingly done is best to address that.

The only move I haven't liked from Holland was the Sekera buyout, even if I do get the rational behind it.

If the plan right now is to have Nurse and Larsson form a shutdown pair, and for Klefbom pair with the best RH-OFD in camp, than wouldn't it have been better to have Russell with another vet that can move the puck effectively? Jones or Bear could step up into that spot, but Reggie would have provided a bit more insulation.

However it's not like Sekera was the only the answer, and Holland hasn't tied his hands as he still has 3+ mil in cap space. I suspect the plan is to give rookie a shot; and if one of them doesn't run with it, than I suspect you'll see a move.

Reactions: Faelko

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I would say good start. Nothing great here yet. He's focused on rebuilding the bottom 9, bring speed and overall defence to the team.

We soon see, what all these new players got. That is when we will have an answer on Holland.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He's been a patient guy most of his time with Detroit. Edmonton had guys who wanted to switch things up ASAP and it never worked out. So far, he is keeping Puljujärvi waiting and will see what goes on the ice for now.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Holland tried to sign B.Conolly, Nyqvist, Donskoi, allt had been great forward aqustions. They rejected dollars, or didn´t want to be here - no one really knows. Even tried Brassard at late in the summer. His backups were Granlund, Jurco (This most be a Holland special), Archibald. I think these are players that can make it out well in bottom 6, and after new year - when Jurco feels ready - maybe even jump into top 6 for some tries. It could turn out bad, it can bloom. It´s an excting player anyway. Signed an OK goalie, so Edmonton as a fall back goalie if Kosko just falls of the earth. Or two goalies that can be the best versions of themself in 40 games each. (Maybe Skinner gets a nod for some games?). Nygård is a good player, that will play for the team - we will se if he cements himself in 3rd line, or can stay as a top 6:er (Will just pushing the limit for 2nd line). WIth Haas I know absolutley nothing, a complete wildcard, but the Swiss has been very good for a while, and why shouldn¨t Haas been a part of that? Maybe he can grow to a future 3 C?

But I like the fact that Hollnad want to fill in gaps with veterans who know the game, maybe isn´t flashiest - but they can together put together an atmosphere of rutine and experience in the lockerroom that newcomers come in and learn from. No rookie has a freeway, they has to compete and be better to take a rosterspot. There are no longer complete voids in the lineup.

He dumped Lucic - for a maybe useful player with shorter term, and is butout-able. That was a beauty!
Neal has even played before with Connor. So much win at once in that trade for Oilers.

Holland had done a great job, didn´t quit when there was dark times, and others had giving up (MacT, Chiarelli)
He even realesed MacTavish, and put NIcholson down a pinhole. Great work.

We will se the rest of it. Oilers is one of the thoughest teams to be a GM for. Many No trade clausaul against the team, few RFA want to sign here. But I think edmonton will have a nice season. No rookies will be given a spot. They had to see, learn and put in the work.

But even if MacTavish was not good, he actually drafted Nurse and Draisaitl. The Edmonton drafting become immediately better with him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I disagree.

Especially to start the year.

With what Holland walked into after what Chia had done to the Oilers what did you legitimately expect from Holland this offseason? I'm genuinely asking. You complain that all his moves were hot garbage this summer so with what cap space we had and what every UFA was signed for what did you legit expect Holland to do this summer to make this team a playoff team? Because to be honest with you i wasn't expecting anything to be done until next summer when he had more space to work with. The fact that he offloaded Lucic and his league worst contract for Neal and his slightly less worse contract (Neal is also twice the player Lucic is at this point) is nothing short of a miracle. Holland had absolutely nothing to work with and did the best he could with the shit pile that Chia left for him. I'm happy with what he was able to accomplish because none of his signings or moves are gonna hurt us long term. It boggles my mind that you can't understand this...

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
I’m ok with his body of work as a whole. I hope he’s willing to add some more talented players to the roster because it’s still sorely lacking in skill (outside of the obvious).

For his next move, I’m just throwing this out into the universe, I’d like to see him move Russell for someone that is a bonafide NHLer.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I’m ok with his body of work as a whole. I hope he’s willing to add some more talented players to the roster because it’s still sorely lacking in skill (outside of the obvious).

For his next move, I’m just throwing this out into the universe, I’d like to see him move Russell for someone that is a bonafide NHLer.
We should trade Russell for a #5 dman who blocks shots.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We should be aiming for all our Dmen to defend the blueline. Even the #7 in the press box.
Russell was arguably the most consistent defender for Oilers last year. Better than all of Nurse, Klefa,Larsson,Sekera,Benning etc.
My response was in response to your jab at his lack of defensive play.
You want a #5 better than Russell at half the cost. Good luck with that.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Russell was arguably the most consistent defender for Oilers last year. Better than all of Nurse, Klefa,Larsson,Sekera,Benning etc.
My response was in response to your jab at his lack of defensive play.
You want a #5 better than Russell at half the cost. Good luck with that.

After a few years of watching Russell, I've concluded that he's just a big bag of meh to me. He's serviceable as a defender because he's so damn good at blocking shots. But man, if you want turn pucks over at the blue line and attack teams on the transition (something McDavid was born to do), Kris isn't going to be your guy because he collapses in the defensive zone so quickly. He's giving the blue line up like it's not even there most times.

Anyway, that's nitpicking something from a guy that has spend most of the last two years playing his off side on a bad team.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
After a few years of watching Russell, I've concluded that he's just a big bag of meh to me. He's serviceable as a defender because he's so damn good at blocking shots. But man, if you want turn pucks over at the blue line and attack teams on the transition (something McDavid was born to do), Kris isn't going to be your guy because he collapses in the defensive zone so quickly. He's giving the blue line up like it's not even there most times.

Anyway, that's nitpicking something from a guy that has spend most of the last two years playing his off side on a bad team.

Defending the blueline is just one aspect of defending and I feel like sometimes the numbers guys get too hung up on this one thing in particular being the be all and end all of NHL defending.

I remember guys trumpeting Marincin as going to be a really solid NHL defenceman because he was really good at contesting the blueline.... well he still hasn't made it.

tempest2i

Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Defending the blueline is just one aspect of defending and I feel like sometimes the numbers guys get too hung up on this one thing in particular being the be all and end all of NHL defending.

I remember guys trumpeting Marincin as going to be a really solid NHL defenceman because he was really good at contesting the blueline.... well he still hasn't made it.

I'm not going to even pretend to be a hockey numbers guy. The people who are passionate about that stuff are not my cup of tea. But it's interesting that "defending the blue line" made you think "numbers guy". What's the correlation there?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'm not going to even pretend to be a hockey numbers guy. The people who are passionate about that stuff are not my cup of tea. But it's interesting that "defending the blue line" made you think "numbers guy". What's the correlation there?

That's the number one criticism of the number crunchers when it comes to Russell. I think it's a little overplayed myself.

I've seen people calling him a boat anchor and the like. He's a decent NHL defenceman in my mind, and definitely not a guy that drags down the whole team.

Reactions: MessierII

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Mediocore.

Hopefully Dekeyser isn't a free agent anytime soon.
Nope, locked up long term.

However, Daley, Ericsson, and Green are all UFAs in 2020.

Did I mention all 4 have some form of trade protection?

To be honest, there is not much to expect from Holland at this point. Team is pretty well cap restricted, and it was an inevitability when Hall, NH, and Eberle got those 6 mil deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad