What are your early thoughts on Holland?

How do you feel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Happy

Would've been very happy if maybe he made a deal involving picks/prospects for a young NHLer on a cheap contract. Unfortunately those aren't always moves that are available.

He hasn't panicked yet either which is key. The next year is going to be key for him.

Either the signings and rookies step up and solidify themselves or he is going to have to put some work in. The pressure isn't there right now, but come x-mas we are out of the playoffs he's gonna have a lot of pressure on him. He has brought enough competition in forcing guys to earn their role, which should help. However, I don't think we should be shocked if we have similar holes next year and that is when things could get scary as he isn't going to have two free years in this City.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Honestly Very Happy.

Is the team perfect? No
Will they need to make the playoffs for this season to be a success? Hell yes

But, he got Lucic out of this organization and it only cost a pick and small retention, amazing deal that will do wonders for this group.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think a lot of people changed their view when he moved Lucic and it only cost .750k a year for 4 years.

Overall I understand what he is doing. He is collecting players cheap on one year deals cause he has no money to spend till next summer

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Thrilled. He’s done basically everything that could be asked of him. My only thing I would have liked to have seen is him being in another top 6 winger, but that wasn’t necessarily doable with the capspace we had.

My main concern was him addressing the lack of depth up front, and did he ever do that. After the way Chia pissed away our depth, it’s awesome to see a GM who said he was going to revamp the bottom 6, and then actually brought in 7 new guys (not counting Neal). 4 of which are proven NHLers. It’s possible all of those guys fail, and no prospects step up, but that sure beats counting on prospects to step in and fill roles, without any competition or backup plan.

X - X - X
Nygard - X - Neal
Granlund - Sheahan - X
Jurco - X - Archibald
Haas

That’s a ton of new faces.

Plus, he got one of the most underrated goalies out there, and signed him to a performance based contract. If he struggles at all, he doesn’t cost us much capspace. And to top it off, that goalie is the best puck mover in the league. With the way our fanbase hates on our defense for not breaking out of our zone well, we should be dancing in the streets about that acquisition.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
>>>>> Chiarelli

Unloading Lucic to our main rival quickly made me a big Holland fan. I also like how he is not giving in to Pulju's trade demands so easily and shipping him off for peanuts. Our 3rd and 4th lines seem to have alot of competition this year, which is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I would have picked indifferent if it was an option. So I picked disappointed.

Team is still bad even with Lucic gone. I just want playoffs and know it isn't coming this year.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
got rid of a cancer (Lucic)
didn't do a panic-trade (Puljujarvi)
and shopped in the bargain bin for NHLers (Sheahan, Granlund, Archibald)
and some competition in the bottom 6

with what he had to work with, I'm happy with him thus far
Got rid of Lucic (very happy) dumped on Calgary(very very happy)
Didn’t panic trade Puljujarvi (very happy)
Signed Sheahan Granlund and Archibald short and cheap (happy)
Took short term shots with Nygard Haas and Jurco (happy)
First GM in a decade to not rush prospects(ecstatic)
Signed Smith (if it gets us playoffs genius)
Ask me again in November but til know he has worked magic!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd say "satisfied" or I guess "relatively ok" captures my feelings better.
It's hard to grade it as happy when it's still one of the worst rosters in the league with the same major holes (top 6 wingers, puckmoving Dman, #1 goalie) that existed when he was hired but the Lucic trade was a good and surprising move, he created a bit more competition for the bottom 6 and he has handled the Puljujarvi situation well so I'm ok with the offseason considering what he had to work with. I'm kind of "meh" on Tippett, I don't see what differentiates him from Mclellan and Hitchcock.

In any event, I'll be happy when I see a roster that's capable of competing for the playoffs and that time hasn't come yet. It's still a mess.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I put very disappointed. He went into this offseason needing to find a franchise goalie, top pairing RD, 2 top six wingers that can score 30-40 goals and a 3C that can put up 50 points and he did none of that.....

But in all seriousness he’s done a great job with what he had to work with. He got rid of Lucic, cleared a little cap space, didn’t let JP’s agent have his way, created a ton of bottom six competition and took a calculated gamble on Neal and Smith. It’s not perfect but I think we’re a better team.

Reactions: nturn06

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I also would have put indifferent. Went with disappointed instead.

Lucic deal was one problem for another. I think Neal is also done and it won't be any easier to get out from that contract.

Didn't like the signing of Smith. I believe he's also done.

Other than that he just signed some warm bodies.

Holland hasn't done anything creative that will improve the roster for the upcoming season.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I put satisfied but I completely forgot he unloaded Lucic’s contract. Was hoping for some more significant moves / signings but that’s very hard to ask for. Just glad he’s not making any panic moves out of desperation like Chia did. Happy with Holland for sure.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Fine with things so far. Not spending the limited amount of money available because of stupid Chiarelli on stupid contracts, every player being brought in is on a one year deal (maybe a few 2 years I forget) and he's trying to help the secondary scoring. The following year will be the telling sign when more cap space gets freed up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For lack of a "meh" I'll go with disappointed. Outside of top 6 centers we are among the very worst at every other position on the roster. I'm not nearly as impressed with bringing in a bunch of other teams cast offs and some no name European free agents as some are. Our defense isn't better. Our goaltending isn't better. Our biggest hope for being better than last year is James Neal bouncing back coming off an absolutely terrible season.

Reactions: Aerchon

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I'd say happy. I think with the players we brought in there is a huge difference in the bottom six. Got rid of some dead weight. Potentially brought in a top-six forward. Sekera buy-out will be a question mark. I think for the amount hes played in the last couple of years, if he were on the Oilers still he'd be a bigger whipping by than Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->