What are your early thoughts on Holland?

How do you feel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He is teaching the Edmonton Oilers NHL Hockey Franchise about hockey. This is an organization that needs to learn the most basic, entry-level aspects of running a professional hockey team.

1. hire people people that have proven they know what they're doing
2. take your time in making important decisions
3. play players when they are good enough to play in the NHL
4. draft players that your scouts have done a lot of research on.
5. employ a capologist
6. employ an advanced stats expert.

just a few pointers that I am sure he has mentioned to the organization, and I'm sure they all had a collective 'Eureka' moment (ooohhh. we never thought of that) when hearing these little known secrets.

so, if he can teach them these and more basic tactics, I'll be satisfied

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Very Happy - Getting a top pairing RD or a legit starting goalie + trading Lucic
Happy - Getting a legit top-6 winger and 3C + trading Lucic
Satisfied- Trading Lucic, not overpaying anyone in FA
Disappointed - Doing nothing of value
Very Disappointed - Going Chiarelli, and losing a big trade or a few bad trades

Last edited:
Reactions: Ser Pudman

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Time will tell, not happy or unhappy. I also thought Broberg was the wrong pick but who knows? Getting rid of Lucic was a master stroke as everyone hated him here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Time will tell, not happy or unhappy. I also thought Broberg was the wrong pick but who knows? Getting rid of Lucic was a master stroke as everyone hated him here.

I agree that getting rid of Lucic was brilliant...absolutely brilliant.
That said I dont want to speak for anyone else but I didnt hate Lucic...he has been through a lot in his personal life and didnt appear to be dealing with it effectively.
I just didnt want his toxic disposition on my hockey team anymore.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I didn't hate him.

Are you sure you count? :laugh:
image_captcha_example.png

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm neither satisfied, nor unhappy.

He didn't do enough to get us into the play-offs this year, but he was hogtied and thrown into a burning pit to start off his tenure. Year 2, when we open up a lot of cap space and some important contracts and decisions is when I can fairly assess his work.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's a negative Oilers fan. Has to find something to complain about. It's in his blood.

There is (unfortunately) some truth to this.
The confirmation bias is so strong that it isnt even worth posting a response. :nod:

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I agree that getting rid of Lucic was brilliant...absolutely brilliant.
That said I dont want to speak for anyone else but I didnt hate Lucic...he has been through a lot in his personal life and didnt appear to be dealing with it effectively.
I just didnt want his toxic disposition on my hockey team anymore.
I meant every fan hated his play and contract but not the person.

Reactions: bone and guymez

Bangers

May 31, 2006
He's gotten rid of some of the organizational rot, he refused to cave into Pulju, he signed some decent bottom 6 players to short term contracts, and he managed to get Lucic off the roster (although he did pay a premium for that pleasure). He also didn't sign anyone to stupid contracts.

Drafting- I have no idea, and it will be too early to tell for 3-4 years anyways.

Still don't like the Sekera buy out and its effect on the cap, and his inability to pick up a top 6 forward or another NHL quality D man are strikes against him IMO.

This team, as currently constructed, is going to need a lot luck, quick development from 2-3 youngsters, and miracles from Tippett to be a playoff team this season.

Reactions: Ser Pudman

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He's gotten rid of some of the organizational rot, he refused to cave into Pulju, he signed some decent bottom 6 players to short term contracts, and he managed to get Lucic off the roster (although he did pay a premium for that pleasure). He also didn't sign anyone to stupid contracts.

Drafting- I have no idea, and it will be too early to tell for 3-4 years anyways.

Still don't like the Sekera buy out and its effect on the cap, and his inability to pick up a top 6 forward or another NHL quality D man are strikes against him IMO.

This team, as currently constructed, is going to need a lot luck, quick development from 2-3 youngsters, and miracles from Tippett to be a playoff team this season.

Tippet: "If I had this roster in Phoenix we would have won it all."

Holland: "This is Edmonton. The refs aren't on your side like then."

Tippet: "Oh"

Holland: "Rogers deal is up in 2022. We might get a few calls then."

Tippet: "Like Calgary last year when they needed a new arena?"

Holland: "Exactly."

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He's a negative Oilers fan. Has to find something to complain about. It's in his blood.

There is (unfortunately) some truth to this.
The confirmation bias is so strong that it isnt even worth posting a response. :nod:

I've always had many pros and cons on tons of subjects. I would easily say far more positive than negative typically... Ive had the Oilers in the mix for the playoffs most years despite their abysmal track record. This year, no. Extremely hard to imagine everything going right and the Oilers making the playoffs. Possible, sure, realistic, no.

So I would agree. I am very negative this year. Most the moves made this year range from bad to meh.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've always had many pros and cons on tons of subjects. I would easily say far more positive than negative typically... Ive had the Oilers in the mix for the playoffs most years despite their abysmal track record. This year, no. Extremely hard to imagine everything going right and the Oilers making the playoffs. Possible, sure, realistic, no.

So I would agree. I am very negative this year. Most the moves made this year range from bad to meh.
Our roster was worse last year

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Lucic for Neal is a win
European lottery tickets for free is a win
Mike smith on a one year deal is a win
Not folding to Puljujärvi is a win
Avoiding big names Ufa’a is a win
Drafting Broberg was a win

Not getting a proven 3c is a loss
Buying out Sekera is a loss as he didn’t spend the money

Reactions: harpoon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm actually pretty optimistic this year.

I think a 95+ pt season could easily be in the cards which means about a 75% chance at playoffs... and even better if players like Nygard/Persson/Haas/Benson etc deliver more than expected.

Biggest factor is Smith in net performing at 91% or better... and key players staying healthy (which is the case every season).

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I said "satisfied" I don't know enough to say if Broberg was a good pick so I'm just neutral on that. Trading Lucic was an excellent move, because I think he hated it here (even though he wouldn't go as far to say it), the bad memories of him under performing when he was expected to be a top-line guy and the media reaction to it I think got under his skin. I actually like him though as a player and I think he'll do much better in a situation where he isn't expected to do more than a bit-role on the team. Holland's signings seem a bit on the weak-side to me. Average that together - "Satisfied"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->