What are you getting for Christmas/what are you hoping for?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I'm similar to you. Over the last few months, I've mostly gone vegetarian. When I cook, the meals I prepare are vegetarian. If I go out to a nice restaurant, I'll sometimes order fish, seafood, or meat but I stay away from beef and lamb now. I've also been doing my grocery shopping at zero-waste stores and farmer's markets. It's impossible to live a perfectly sustainable lifestyle and I'm constantly learning but I've found over the past few months that it's really easy to reduce your carbon footprint and your waste (especially plastic) by making some relatively easy choices that don't inconvenience you or reduce your quality of life.

I found this video really helpful. It gives you an idea of the carbon footprint of different types of food.

If you don’t mind me asking, how many people are you shopping for?

I’m becoming more conscious about these things.

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Montreal
If you don’t mind me asking, how many people are you shopping for?

I’m becoming more conscious about these things.

I'm a student living on my own so I food shop for myself. Once a week, my girlfriend and I go grocery shopping and we spend a few hours cooking two recipes in bulk so I have lunches and dinners for the week. My girlfriend gets lunch and dinner for her troubles :P

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Merry Christmas Craig.
This year is the ultimate gift. I am taking my two kids (Arizona born) to Montreal for the Jan. 4th game against the Pens. My son is a high school hockey player here and a Habs fan. My daughter is 13 and loves hockey too.
I've never been to the bell center. I was at the old Forum once as a kid.
We are staying in Old Montreal and will be visiting Quebec city to do some sledding.
I am sure that you and your kids will have a great time, it will be one of the things that your children look back on fondly when they are older, hopefully, Montreal can win for you guys.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Now I am jealous of my son, we just had a Christmas lunch and he told me he got a job with a Norwegian cruise company. They emailed him 5 songs and called 10 minutes later and he had to read all the notes over the phone to the songs. Then it took one day and he got several offers. He's playing in the cruise band. They sent him a ticket to fly from Portland to Sydney Australia. There he will board a cruise ship that travels between Australia and New Zealand for a month, then they will go to Hawaii for a month and finally B.C and Alaska for a month. He gets $2,200.00 per month net and of course he has a cabin and free food. so he can save the money. It's obviously not a high salary but to see the world is great and I can't imagine they play that long sessions.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Now I am jealous of my son, we just had a Christmas lunch and he told me he got a job with a Norwegian cruise company. They emailed him 5 songs and called 10 minutes later and he had to read all the notes over the phone to the songs. Then it took one day and he got several offers. He's playing in the cruise band. They sent him a ticket to fly from Portland to Sydney Australia. There he will board a cruise ship that travels between Australia and New Zealand for a month, then they will go to Hawaii for a month and finally B.C and Alaska for a month. He gets $2,200.00 per month net and of course he has a cabin and free food. so he can save the money. It's obviously not a high salary but to see the world is great and I can't imagine they play that long sessions.

I used to work on Soviet cargo ships as a helmsman/navigator when I was a teenager. It was a great expirience. I managed to see many cities and towns across all of Northern Europe while very few Soviet citizens could travel in the first place. I've been to "far away" towns where average tourists never go. Like Vasteras or Lulea. :sarcasm: Good memories. Your son should have great time.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I used to work on Soviet cargo ships as a helmsman/navigator when I was a teenager. It was a great expirience. I managed to see many cities and towns across all of Northern Europe while very few Soviet citizens could travel in the first place. I've been to "far away" towns where average tourists never go. Like Vasteras or Lulea. :sarcasm: Good memories. Your son should have great time.

Wow those northern Baltic / North Cape / Barents Sea routes must have been a dark, frozen, hell at sea in winter months - respect!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Wow those northern Baltic / North Cape / Barents Sea routes must have been a dark, frozen, hell at sea in winter months - respect!
You’ve never seen pure darkness till you’ve been in HIGH arctic in December /January.......it’s 24hrs a day for about 6weeks

I’ve seen -55 with windchill of -88c.....it’s insane....then there’s the polar bears lol

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
wife gave my old my old iphone away to her sister and got me an iphonex. then she went home to prague and had two suitcases full of presents for her family and friends. so coming back with two empty suitcases, she decided to go shopping. brought back loads of cheese, socks, potatoes (dont ask), more socks, sauce packets, silly socks, bread, yeast and more stuff she still has unpacked. its a little silly, but i don't ask these questions anymore...

i treated myself by selling my thunderbird bass and my deluxe big muff fuzz pedal. more space for the Rickenbacker im aiming for :naughty:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
You’ve never seen pure darkness till you’ve been in HIGH arctic in December /January.......it’s 24hrs a day for about 6weeks

I’ve seen -55 with windchill of -88c.....it’s insane....then there’s the polar bears lol

How was it at -55 degrees? I can't imagine.

When I did my compulsory military service we had winter training in the north western mountains and it was -31 degrees and we were sleeping in tents. We slept like cake pieces with our feet toward the center where we had a wood stove and we took stove shifts and our heads were close to the inside of the tent and the steam from our breath froze so in the morning we had to hack off the ice cover inside the tent. The lowest I have experienced is -36 degrees up in the arctic circle while I was working but -55 must be horrible.

Reactions: jaffy27

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
In Canadian dollars, $120-150 with a realistic operating range of 700 kms, it's literally a 4wd Prius:sarcasm: Are we still actually talking about the vehicle or something else?

giphy.gif

Reactions: OldCraig71

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
How was it at -55 degrees? I can't imagine.

When I did my compulsory military service we had winter training in the north western mountains and it was -31 degrees and we were sleeping in tents. We slept like cake pieces with our feet toward the center where we had a wood stove and we took stove shifts and our heads were close to the inside of the tent and the steam from our breath froze so in the morning we had to hack off the ice cover inside the tent. The lowest I have experienced is -36 degrees up in the arctic circle while I was working but -55 must be horrible.
Resolute Bay Nunavut......yes, it’s crazy to think....I’ve done that winter camping in 16x12 prospecter tents (the white ones), but certainly not in -36 lol

usually it was -15 to -20, it was in northern Ontario, and we’d do this on ice fishing trips....it was so much fun, we’d set the tent right on the lake. We’d normally pile the snow at the back end of the tent as to bring up the sleeping area as it was warmer. The stove was usually set up by the front entrance.

Always fun to swap stories with people that have done the same things as me, your description was very interesting ....respect Per Sjoblom :)

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That sounds FANTASTIC !

Congrats to your boy !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad