What are the training camp battles?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Lindbohm don't fight with Parayko. They are totally different page, Parayko is going be stud offensive 'Myers' type of player and Lindbohm is Jackman type of 'fatherish' protect own guys and can play with top2-top4 pair if he don't need carry his pair.

I just laughed your statement:

Last week was Lindbohm's 22th birthday. We're talking quite young prospect. In Blues he might be coming season odd man out, thou I don't see it that way, but [mod]r you haven't watch Lindbohm's performance (games) to say he won't never gonna be top6 NHL'er. I'm ending this conversation here.

I'm talking about the near term future on the Blues. If he is behind Schmalz, Edmundson and Parayko on the depth chart (in the next year or two), if the Blues re-sign Shattenkirk long term, then it don't see a top 6 spot for Lindbohm on this team. I guess they would have to unload Bouwmeester to do it, but that looks like the less likely scenario to me. And I don't think he will stay in the AHL after this season either way, so fighting with Bortuzzo for the 7th man.

I didn't mean forever. But on the Blues any time soon. Maybe they trade Bouwmeester next year. I won't bet on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm just getting sick of management penciling guys in and then through no-fault of their own find themselves odd man out. I understand that Gunnarsson can't be traded in favor of 3 rookies on the defense, but I don't see him as that big of a different maker. Lindbohm was sent down last year purely on being the guy out when Gunnarsson returned. Jackman and Butler were up along with Michalek signing. I'm in the minority of I'd risk running the rookies. I think Lindbohm is safe to rely on. With Butler, Harrold and Benoit (they suck, I know). I think they have the LH depth to cover Edmundson if he can't hack it. As someone else said, if they are seeing how well Bortuzzo can play LH, then maybe he's being groomed to play as the 7th.

Lindbohm Pietrangelo
Edmundson Shattenkirk
Boumeester Parayko
Bortuzzo
Butler
Benoit
Harrold

With Lindbohm and Pietrangelo, they player together last year and most of training camp. Hitch signals that he likes then together. Pietrangelo carries that pairing well

With Edmundson Shattenkirk, Hitch has kept these guys together. This is the only risk pairing to me.

With Bouwmeester Parayko, Bouwmeester looks so much better away from Pietrangelo, this pairing has the ability to provide so much offensive power. Bouwmeester can slide up to take minutes for Edmundson and Lindbohm if need be.

I just don't see Gunnarsson providing more then Bouwmeester and Lindbohm, Edmundson looks to a have actually taken his job as Gunnarsson was Shattenkirk's partner.

Where do you put Schmaltz next year?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Where do you put Schmaltz next year?

He's a prospect with zero pro experience or exposure. So I guess

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Parayko
Bortuzzo
Schmaltz.

I think he'll stew in the AHL for a year, minimum. A huge showing in the AHL can change that though. For me, I see him being an option if Shattenkirk is traded. If Shattenkirk stays, then I think Schmaltz could be trade bait in a year or 2. Nothing needs to be decided now. I'm not a fan of defense playing on their off side, it screws with pinches way too much and clearing the zone.

Our left side shored up really quick. Right side is the tricky part since we have some premium talent over there.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Even if Lindbohm does get sent down, I don't see him staying down for very long. Somebody will eventually get hurt and he'll be back up. In any event, I think it's pretty much an inevitability that Gunnarsson is cut loose after this season so his spot will be open up.

I do think if it comes down to Edmundson vs Lindbohm that it should be Lindbohm that stays. He's a bit more versatile to me and I feel like you can more easily slide him up the depth chart.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
is dmitri sergeev any good? How long did he last in training camp?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Did Rattie make the big club?

He's still on the roster, but the Blues haven't made final cuts/signings. They're supposedly making everything final on Tuesday.

Berglund is injured for a few months and it seems like Fabbri made it; so, assuming they carry 7 defensemen, the 13th and 14th spots belong to two of Rattie, Paajarvi, Upshall, and Gomez (the latter two still on tryouts, not official contracts, yet).

By his performance, Rattie should make it, but the team might still want him getting big minutes in the minors.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He's a prospect with zero pro experience or exposure. So I guess

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Parayko
Bortuzzo
Schmaltz.

I think he'll stew in the AHL for a year, minimum. A huge showing in the AHL can change that though. For me, I see him being an option if Shattenkirk is traded. If Shattenkirk stays, then I think Schmaltz could be trade bait in a year or 2. Nothing needs to be decided now. I'm not a fan of defense playing on their off side, it screws with pinches way too much and clearing the zone.

Our left side shored up really quick. Right side is the tricky part since we have some premium talent over there.

I'm not sure why no one feels a scenario exist where you keep them all.
Petro Lindbohm
Shatty Edmundson
Schmaltz Parayko
Bortuzzo

Nothing wrong with someone learning or switching to their off side. Especially Schmaltz or Parayko (may be better if Parayko did for shooting reasons). Schmaltz will be your PP2 quarterback. The guy can pass the puck like few the Blues have. If you watched any North Dakota hockey, then you can see this guy as a future PP QB. He has very good vision to see the play. Ease him into a season. Hitch will like his puck control style.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
He's still on the roster, but the Blues haven't made final cuts/signings. They're supposedly making everything final on Tuesday.

Berglund is injured for a few months and it seems like Fabbri made it; so, assuming they carry 7 defensemen, the 13th and 14th spots belong to two of Rattie, Paajarvi, Upshall, and Gomez (the latter two still on tryouts, not official contracts, yet).

By his performance, Rattie should make it, but the team might still want him getting big minutes in the minors.

I think Rattie and Upshall will be kept as the forwards. Rattie will spell Fabbri or any other top 9 injuries, and Upshall will fill in on the 4th line. Even if he's a healthy scratch a decent amount, NHL experience will be much better than the AHL at this point. He's already proven he can play at a level higher than AAA.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think Upshall very likely earns a contract and one of the spare forward spots. That pretty much leaves the final spare forward spot down to Rattie or Gomez. My take is that Rattie performed better than Gomez in camp but I don't think it's any sort of guarantee he earns the spot. I could easily see them signing Gomez simply for depth reasons. That way they'd still have Rattie down in the minors as an option later in the season. They may also want that additional depth if they think it's possible they might want to return Fabbri to Jrs before he plays his 10th game. And they could also think that they'd prefer to have Rattie playing in the AHL than sitting in the NHL. Lots of things they'll have to consider.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I really just want them to build this team out of people who can help NOW.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
If Fabbri does end up going back to juniors, I imagine Rattie would probably be given a good look in his place.

Agreed, and I think this is the biggest asset Rattie has going for him that isn't performance related. I get the feeling that if we keep Rattie up, he'll be getting some games before Fabbri's 9 games are up as well.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Agreed, and I think this is the biggest asset Rattie has going for him that isn't performance related. I get the feeling that if we keep Rattie up, he'll be getting some games before Fabbri's 9 games are up as well.

That's actually my preferred way to go. I want to see both of them in the NHL used in a scoring role.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Nothing wrong with someone learning or switching to their off side. Especially Schmaltz or Parayko (may be better if Parayko did for shooting reasons). Schmaltz will be your PP2 quarterback. The guy can pass the puck like few the Blues have. If you watched any North Dakota hockey, then you can see this guy as a future PP QB. He has very good vision to see the play. Ease him into a season. Hitch will like his puck control style.

What? Yes there is. Handedness makes a huge difference, especially in Hitch's system. It's the difference between being able to forecheck on your forehand or having to do it on your backhand, with your back facing your own goal. Pushing a rookie to do that in his first pro season is setting the kid up for disaster. If you want to ruin someone's confidence, that's a surefire way to do it. The off-hand advantages matter if you're a forward, although even then it's still pretty rare. For a defenseman, it's a terrible idea imo unless you have no other options. Zbynek Michalek on the left side was the worst last year. We only put Shatty and Petro on the same line during PP when defense isn't the priority and you have the numbers advantage on forechecking. It just doesn't make sense to play an off-handed defender unless you're in that situation or injuries have precluded all other options.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I have a gut feeling Rattie and Fabbri make the team and both get 9 game trials. Obviously it means nothing to Rattie, but both will get minutes before a decision is made on Fabbri and they will want to keep Fabbri around longer time-wise, so he can practice and travel with the big club.

Rattie can play additional games with the 4th line like Schwartz did in the beginning to force him to do the little things that it takes to succeed in the NHL.

At this point Fabbri doesn't get much benefit from Juniors and Rattie won't get much out of playing in the AHL.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
What? Yes there is. Handedness makes a huge difference, especially in Hitch's system. It's the difference between being able to forecheck on your forehand or having to do it on your backhand, with your back facing your own goal. Pushing a rookie to do that in his first pro season is setting the kid up for disaster. If you want to ruin someone's confidence, that's a surefire way to do it. The off-hand advantages matter if you're a forward, although even then it's still pretty rare. For a defenseman, it's a terrible idea imo unless you have no other options. Zbynek Michalek on the left side was the worst last year. We only put Shatty and Petro on the same line during PP when defense isn't the priority and you have the numbers advantage on forechecking. It just doesn't make sense to play an off-handed defender unless you're in that situation or injuries have precluded all other options.

I think you better do your homework and see how many teams actually have 3 right handed defenseman. It isn't uncommon to play your off hand especially if you can shoot the puck. Much easier for a one timer... I always played my off side for that very reason.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think you better do your homework and see how many teams actually have 3 right handed defenseman. It isn't uncommon to play your off hand especially if you can shoot the puck. Much easier for a one timer...

Jason Garrison is an example of someone who prefers his off-side.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Sad day, but its good you need to earn yóur spot up. I don't recall Lindbohm make any big mistakes with Pietro, but Edmundson - Shattery just got chemistry. I hope they keep that pair together. I don't wanna see Gunnar with Shattery. I'm bit puzzled they are gonna run Jbo - Pietro knowing they both shut each other offensive tools and mostly Pietro's. So he just sit back ad relax to spring just before big games start. Long season ahead of us. Good thing is Lindbohm get now hopefully biggest icetime in Chicago, will help his developent.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Good thing is Lindbohm get now hopefully biggest icetime in Chicago, will help his development.

I fully expect he and Schmaltz to be the top pairing with the Wolves to start the year. I also expect that he and Edmundson will swap places at least once this season.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

By my count, unless we also sign Gomez, we only have 13 forwards while Berglund is hurt. We also only have 7 D. So we can carry another skater. Does this mean they are going to sign Gomez (just haven't come to terms) or going to skate light until Berglund comes back? Or am I just missing someone? Thoughts?

Forwards: (1) Steen (2) Tarasenko (3) Stasny (4) Schwartz (5) Lehtera (6) Jaskin (7) Backes (8) Brouwer (9) Fabbri (10) Brodziak (11) Reaves (12) Upshall (13) Ott (14) Gomez/Berglund?????

Defense: (1) Pietrangelo (2) Bouwmeester (3) Shattenkirk (4) Gunnarsson (5) Parayko (6) Edmundson (7) Bortuzzo

Actually, looking at the roster on the Blues site, they still have Sergeev listed, but I doubt are going to go into the season with him on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad