What are the training camp battles?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
By my count, unless we also sign Gomez, we only have 13 forwards while Berglund is hurt. We also only have 7 D. So we can carry another skater. Does this mean they are going to sign Gomez (just haven't come to terms) or going to skate light until Berglund comes back? Or am I just missing someone? Thoughts?

Forwards: (1) Steen (2) Tarasenko (3) Stasny (4) Schwartz (5) Lehtera (6) Jaskin (7) Backes (8) Brouwer (9) Fabbri (10) Brodziak (11) Reaves (12) Upshall (13) Ott (14) Gomez/Berglund?????

Defense: (1) Pietrangelo (2) Bouwmeester (3) Shattenkirk (4) Gunnarsson (5) Parayko (6) Edmundson (7) Bortuzzo

Actually, looking at the roster on the Blues site, they still have Sergeev listed, but I doubt are going to go into the season with him on the roster.
Rutherford said he believes the team is working on a deal with Gomez right now.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Tough for Lindbohm. He's had such a meteoric rise and was a great story last camp the way he just kept sticking around, then changed his plans to stay in North America, went to the AHL and then wound up playing significant time in the NHL. I bet he gets significant time this year, too. One thing is certain, if anyone falters significantly, there is talent bucking in the stables to take their place.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I feel bad for Lindbohm, but we'll see him soon enough. I expect to see a big year out of him. He's definitely got to be the first injury call up, and if Edmundson falters I think you'll see them switch places.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So Dmitrii Sergeev was injured, but from past viewings, is he any good?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I feel bad for Lindbohm, but we'll see him soon enough. I expect to see a big year out of him. He's definitely got to be the first injury call up, and if Edmundson falters I think you'll see them switch places.

Agreed. My guess is that both Lindbohm and Edmundson see time with both the Blues and Wolves this season.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Very good skater, good size, steps up to make good hits, won't put up a lot of points. He definitely has NHL potential IMO as a 2nd or 3rd defensive d-man but he's been injured a lot of the summer/fall so hopefully he recovers and has a good season in Jrs.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

I've only seen him play a few games. But he looked good. Good, smooth skating stride. He seemed to have decent poise. He made a few positioning errors. His shot seemed decent. Passing was okay. He seems to have decent offensive sense (but not an offensive biased player like Vanelli, Walman, Dunn, and Schmaltz), but more balanced, like Parayko. Edmundson is more defensively oriented.

I got the impression that he might be a late bloomer and has both decent offensive and defensive upside potential to be a #4 or #5 D-man in The NHL. I think Dunn, Parayko, Schmaltz and Edmundson look like they have higher upsides than he. But he certainly looks like he could end up as a regular in The NHL if he develops well. I'd put him in Vanelli's and Walman's class (a more balanced game, but similar chance to end up a regular in The NHL).

Last edited:

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Rutherford said he believes the team is working on a deal with Gomez right now.

I will seriously never watch a Blues game as long as Gomez suits up for them. Having seen him in the preseason, he looked HORRENDOUS. Not just bad, but HORRENDOUS. Couldn't skate, couldn't shoot, couldn't pass. If we give Gomez a contract and don't let Rattie get NHL time, it's time for Armstrong to go.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I will seriously never watch a Blues game as long as Gomez suits up for them. Having seen him in the preseason, he looked HORRENDOUS. Not just bad, but HORRENDOUS. Couldn't skate, couldn't shoot, couldn't pass. If we give Gomez a contract and don't let Rattie get NHL time, it's time for Armstrong to go.

So you'd rather have Rattie sitting in the press box game after game doing nothing but practices? Other than having him getting ice time and playing in the AHL?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Umm....that's what's going to push you over the edge? Look....I don't want Gomez either, but i doubt he sees more then 5 games. It'll be a case where he's basically getting paid to do nothing...be a good vetern Voice and fill in when they need a guy in a pinch and Rattie can't get to the team quick enough.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
So you'd rather have Rattie sitting in the press box game after game doing nothing but practices? Other than having him getting ice time and playing in the AHL?

I mean it could be better for him. I think people overrate the press box for young guys a little bit. There is still a lot that can be learned traveling with the team, listening in during intermissions, and practicing with the guys you are competing with for a spot. At younger ages it's better to let those kids get playing time against pros. Rattie is at a stage where he needs to start adjusting to the NHL game before he stays an AHL player. Who knows though.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Armstrong has made his fair share of mistakes but signing a vet to be the 14th forward to sit in the pressbox while the young guy goes back to the AHL is not one of those mistakes to be calling for his head for.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Agreed. My guess is that both Lindbohm and Edmundson see time with both the Blues and Wolves this season.

Maybe they can both take turns working on the new statue of Colton Parayko to put out in front of Clark St..... Think Parayko could possibly falter? The order for Mr. Parayko is awfully tall on these boards.... He had a cup of coffee with the Wolves last year. I'm thinking they may watch the two big rookies and Gunnarsson's or JBo's days may be numbered midway thru the season. You know what you have with Lindbohm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad