News Article: What are the Leafs even doing at the 3C Position?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
hkn-capitals-maple-leafs-20170417.jpg

Since we're a few days off before our next game I decided to take a look at the 3rd line centre position in the organization and what our options are as we move forward in hopes of competing for a Stanley Cup.

HawkeyIntangibles: What are the Leafs doing at the 3C Position?

Appreciate feedback, shares, re-tweets, followers etc etc :)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I just can't see Bozak back and if he is, I'll be a little disappointed. They should be aiming higher.
As to who takes his role? It's a good question as Babcock seems to have no real interest in playing Nylander at C. Aaaltonen? Goat? Both 4th liners if they stick
I'd hate to see them have to go the FA route - especially if they let guys walk for nothing

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Matthews
Tavares
Kadri

Looks real solid to me. ;)

Kadri would be a cool 3rd line centre lol. Rather dump the money on a defenseman like Doughty or Karlsson if they hit UFA though..

If Nylander works out at centre would imagine he'd hit the 2nd line at some point if he's good, eventually getting Kadri to 3C like you have, he'd certainly start at 3C though while he adjusts.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Probably would be most ideal if Nylander could successfully transition to the middle. San Jose is in a good spot standings-wise at the moment, but if Thornton were to end up on the FA market again, he's also a possibility since there already was interest on our part once. Don't know how interested he was in signing here, but Marleau might be a factor now, and if he's still looking for a Cup, a highly competitive team could help most of all. We'll see where we end up in that regard. Don't see Bozak returning, but if we bring in anyone but a stopgap option, the writing will look to be on the wall regarding Nylander ever being a full-time centre. Not sure if Gauthier or even Aaltonen will be more than a 4C.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
JT is a pipe dream, the only potential realistic UFA would be Backlund but he’d only make sense if they could get him to sign a 4-5 year deal at 5ish mil.

I’d say the safest bet is the 3C emerges out of Marleau/Aaltonen/Nylander.

Personally I’d say the smart play would be to pair Marleau and Nylander together to share the role to see if Nylander can handle it and give the line sheltered zone starts. Aaltonen moves to the 4C position

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I still see Thornton coming here next season.

Backlund is the other option that I really like, though Flames fans say that it's a certainty that he extends in Calgary.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Kadri would be a cool 3rd line centre lol. Rather dump the money on a defenseman like Doughty or Karlsson if they hit UFA though.
If Nylander works out at centre would imagine he'd hit the 2nd line at some point if he's good, eventually getting Kadri to 3C like you have, he'd certainly start at 3C though while he adjusts.

I am not sure if Babcock even want Willie to play at "C" in that scenario I do not mind Kadri as our # 2 "C" and he is a pretty good #2 "C" but we need to find another "C" that can get you 40 -45 points and be rsponsible defensively, to me Bozak is not the answer

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I still see Thornton coming here next season.

Backlund is the other option that I really like, though Flames fans say that it's a certainty that he extends in Calgary.

I an see the Leafs offering him another 1 year big money deal that they tried to get him with this past summer. Perhaps hr’ll Be more inclined to sign it watching his former teammate’s success with the Leafs this season

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I really like Aaltonen at 3rd. Think he will be ready and put money in upgrading defense. We do not even need JVR replacement either. Will have plenty of cash to put into a defenseman or 2.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am not sure if Babcock even want Willie to play at "C" in that scenario I do not mind Kadri as our # 2 "C" and he is a pretty good #2 "C" but we need to find another "C" that can get you 40 -45 points and be rsponsible defensively, to me Bozak is not the answer

Agreed 100%

Thornton or Backlund would be the dream.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If we're looking to trade for or sign a player, the focus should be on a more defensive guy. Our team has a loaded offence. Our team defence needs work. Too many people focus solely on the blueline for this, but you can improve your GAA by making changes up front as well.

We don't need a ~45-50 point 3rd line C like Bozak. What we need is a guy that can play the PK, take defensive zone faceoffs and match-up well against scoring lines, and add some level of reasonable secondary scoring. That might only be ~30 points, it just needs to be an improvement defensively IMO.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Do we need to sign a center that can help Marner elevate his game, maybe try and get Dvorak from the Yotes? I think the 3rd line is the Marner line.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Thornton is definitely going to look good but he is not really the long term solution but I would definitely welcome Backlund

Yeah, Thornton would be great for 1 year. Backlund would be good for 5.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Do we need to sign a center that can help Marner elevate his game, maybe try and get Dvorak from the Yotes? I think the 3rd line is the Marner line.
^^^^This would be a very good move , but what would he cost ?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think the 3rd line has to be built around Marner to get the most out of his skills. I see things differently than all of you guys lol

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
kadri is the future 3C for the leafs. the real question is what will our 2nd line be next season. i have leivo-nylander-kapanen.

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
As much of a pipe dream as Tavares is, if you can get him ya gotta do it. With Matthews and Tavares down the middle the next 7-8 years you get 7-8 legit cracks at winning a cup. That would mean kadri is the answer to the 3rd line centre question.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
kadri is the future 3C for the leafs. the real question is what will our 2nd line be next season. i have leivo-nylander-kapanen.

Who do you find to put above Kadri? Hes solidified as a top 20 center in the league and his numbers are trending into the top ten.

I hope youre right that Nylander is going to make a jump that big though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kadri would be a cool 3rd line centre lol. Rather dump the money on a defenseman like Doughty or Karlsson if they hit UFA though..

"A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush
" as the saying goes.

IF
JT does hit the UFA market in 2018 then you have to cross that bridge first, when that opportunity exists, and not pass hoping for a hail marry in 2019 for a Dman that may never happen.

If you have a 1-2 punch of Matthews and Tavares down the middle, it increases the odds of someone like Doughty also choosing the Leafs as a UFA as the Leafs have made themselves Cup competitive by adding JT.

"Build it and they will Come"

When you're landing superstar players as UFAs (free of asset cost), "You don't look a gift horse in the mouth" as it would make current players expendable as you upgrade on them and allow you to deal them as need if you desire to fill other holes.

PS. All these clichés can't be wrong. ;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
After stamkos trolled leafs nation by liking him to leafs tweet; and then signning cheap in Tampa am not getting my hopes up with JT.

I see it as

Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Kappy
Kadri-Brown

3 duos going forward, fill in the LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad