What are the Habs, and how realistic is it they challenge for the cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
nice depth of forwards even if no stars. If they play good team defense and Price and Allen play well they can do some damage.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Not sure what you consider "very enthusiastic" but I've seen plenty of montreal media saying the Habs won't even make the playoffs. You make it seem like the city is expecting a cup win.

I'm sure you can find someone who said that but I can also find someone from any team that has unrealistic expectations.

I see the Habs as a dark horse for now, not one of the teams that's a favourite, but not out of the question either.

As someone else posted, if Price puts up a .915+ and KK and Suzuki are legit then they will be in the mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I think the Habs will be dangerous if Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are as good as they looked in the playoffs and Carey Price has around a 0.915
Was going to say it all depends on these 2 players. If they take a step forward, with that forward depth Montreal will be a dangerous team. If they regress, they'll be average. It's also really difficult to predict what will happen with the Canadian division.

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if Habs are near the top or the bottom of the division, to be honest.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
They are a long way from competing for the cup. They have nice depth, but no high end talent outside of Weber/Price.

I am very curious to see how Toffoli does. He didn't produce much offensively the last 3 years in LA, but was excellent alongside Miller and EP in Vancouver. The Habs don't have that type off 1st line talent, so it will be interesting to see they get a 40-50 pt winger, or the 70-80 pt winger he was in Vancouver. I think that's going to be one of their biggest question marks heading into this season.

Reactions: Devonator

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
The same thing theyve been for what 25 years now. The very definition of average. They need Price is stand on his head to have any shot.

I still LOL at that Anderson signing. Not that hes bad or going to be bad, but its like Bergevin didnt get the Covid Cap memo yet.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Depends entirely on the Kids progressing and by how much.

If they progress a little bit then they are likely a playoff team. If they progress a lot then the Habs are really dangerous and primed for a decent run.

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
I don’t like the Habs at all but they have a pretty balanced team although they don’t have an elite attacker. That could change if Suzuki/Kotkankemi step up. I definitely see them making the playoffs and being a difficult team to play against.

As for the cup, anything is possible but they’re not contender for now IMO but I wouldn’t be shocked if they made a decent push in the playoffs.

Reactions: SB164

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Habs are a wildcard like most years, we could finish anywhere within the Canadian div and I wouldn't be too surprised. Absolute long shot for the cup though.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
May be a bit biased, but the improvements are significant. I think they finish 4th in the North division, but take it in the playoffs.

They're deeper than everyone else and if Julien gets them playing bruising, shut down hockey, the Leafs will be in tough. I see them as a much more talented version of Columbus and the Islanders.

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
By take it, I mean the north division. They'll lose to whichever American team they play in the Conference Finals.

Much of their success will depend on Anderson's health...

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They may challenge for a playoff spot as they play in a weak division (with fewer teams) and won’t play any games outside of it. Someone has to finish 4th in that division.

They are a long way off though. They weren’t particularly close to being a playoff team before COVID the expansion to 24 teams. I’m not sure Anderson is a difference maker in this regard. Weber and Price are going to be a year older.

A lot of bad decisions are going to be made next offseason based on mis-judgements of a smaller sample size season and a the mini-league format creating a larger disparity of schedules.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Last year was a bad year, the year before was a better indicator of who the Habs are. They aren't a cup contender but should be a comfortable playoff team.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Not completely fair. Edmundson played top 4 minutes on the Canes and Blues. Toffoli was very good for the Nucks. Anderson had an injury filled season and can be expected to score more than 1 goal.
Edmundson was in the presser when it mattered most for the Blues (Cup final).

Reactions: TK 421

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
A backup goalie
A guy who scored one goal last year (basically consider him and Domi a wash at best)
A top 9 forward
Two fourth line players
#6/7D

Team was like 24th last year... They have no real chance at the Cup

The lack of intellectual integrity is staggering.

Toffoli was 107th in the league in points last season - forwards within 2 points of him include Keller, Cirelli, Tkachuk, Schmaltz. He had more points than players like Duchene, Rakell, Zucker, Strome, Mantha, Kessel, Zuccarello, Johansen, Hertl and other fantastic top 6 players. He was also 47th in goals, scoring as many as Svechnikov, Huberdeau, Konecny and Kreider.

Anderson was playing injured; is he a 30 goal 60 point guy? Of course not, but he should be expected to put up production similar to Tom Wilson. The value of Anderson is not the points he brings either, but the two-way reliability, penalty killing and physical contributions.

Allen started in 21 games last year and went 12-6, and spent the previous 5 years either being the primary netminder or splitting time as a 1/2 split - he is probably one of the best backup goaltenders in the League, and will offer relief to a goaltender who has had to shoulder all the weight for the last 5 years.

Frolik and Perry are bottom half of the lineup guys, but Montreal now has one of the strongest 3rd/4th lines in the League, and injuries to forwards will be of little issue to a team that has 14 NHL caliber forwards.

Edmundson was 7th for ATOI in Carolina during the regular season, behind only Slavin, Hamilton and Skjei defensively. In the playoffs, he was 3rd amongst defensemen, only behind Slavin and Hamilton (the latter by a minute a game)

It takes 2 seconds to google anything you said to realize you have no idea what you are talking about.

What do you make of this team?

The success of the Canadiens will ultimately depend on a few different things

1. Are Suzuki and Kotkaniemi going to build upon their playoff performances
2. Can the new additions be what they were brought in to be (Toffoli - 25+ goal/82g pace - Anderson 40ish points/82 game pace + physicality)
3. Can Price stay healthy
4. Will the defense give up less 2-on-1/2-on-0s.
5. Can the PowerPlay figure it out

If the answers are favourable in all of those situations, then the reality is that Montreal is a very strong team in the East. They have great secondary scoring, they're a big physical team while also being one of the faster teams in the League. Their issue is center depth (which may not be an issue at all) and goal scoring, however with their current roster scoring should not be an issue anymore either.

McFly2544

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Burlington, ON
No top level talent but might just have the most balanced 4 lines than anyone

Playing in the all-Canadian division is a blessing for them, their record over past 3 seasons against other Canadian teams is really good and it’s impossible to argue they didn’t improve over the off-season

shortenened season, quality backup

I’d wager they take the North division and this is coming from a fan who has wanted Bergevin gone for years

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I hope for the players sake they do well because this is the most hype I've seen a Habs team have going into a season in quite some time.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The lack of intellectual integrity is staggering.

Toffoli was 107th in the league in points last season - forwards within 2 points of him include Keller, Cirelli, Tkachuk, Schmaltz. He had more points than players like Duchene, Rakell, Zucker, Strome, Mantha, Kessel, Zuccarello, Johansen, Hertl and other fantastic top 6 players. He was also 47th in goals, scoring as many as Svechnikov, Huberdeau, Konecny and Kreider.

Anderson was playing injured; is he a 30 goal 60 point guy? Of course not, but he should be expected to put up production similar to Tom Wilson. The value of Anderson is not the points he brings either, but the two-way reliability, penalty killing and physical contributions.

Allen started in 21 games last year and went 12-6, and spent the previous 5 years either being the primary netminder or splitting time as a 1/2 split - he is probably one of the best backup goaltenders in the League, and will offer relief to a goaltender who has had to shoulder all the weight for the last 5 years.

Frolik and Perry are bottom half of the lineup guys, but Montreal now has one of the strongest 3rd/4th lines in the League, and injuries to forwards will be of little issue to a team that has 14 NHL caliber forwards.

Edmundson was 7th for ATOI in Carolina during the regular season, behind only Slavin, Hamilton and Skjei defensively. In the playoffs, he was 3rd amongst defensemen, only behind Slavin and Hamilton (the latter by a minute a game)

It takes 2 seconds to google anything you said to realize you have no idea what you are talking about.

The success of the Canadiens will ultimately depend on a few different things

1. Are Suzuki and Kotkaniemi going to build upon their playoff performances
2. Can the new additions be what they were brought in to be (Toffoli - 25+ goal/82g pace - Anderson 40ish points/82 game pace + physicality)
3. Can Price stay healthy
4. Will the defense give up less 2-on-1/2-on-0s.
5. Can the PowerPlay figure it out

If the answers are favourable in all of those situations, then the reality is that Montreal is a very strong team in the East. They have great secondary scoring, they're a big physical team while also being one of the faster teams in the League. Their issue is center depth (which may not be an issue at all) and goal scoring, however with their current roster scoring should not be an issue anymore either.
People are more worried about the primary scoring instead of your great secondary scoring. I agree that montreals season hinges on kk and Suzuki primarily. If they can’t be a 50+ and 30+ point 1/3c’s. It’s a definite weak spot. And in the most important positions up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad