What are the Flames missing?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well one guy, who isn't even a Flames fan, has made it his mission to discredit Monahan because he thinks it helps to pump up his idol Gaudreau by claiming he has to play with bums.

Is that why I've done nothing but praise Ferland? Care to explain that?

I thought not . . .

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Is that why I've done nothing but praise Ferland? Care to explain that?

I thought not . . .

Yes because you praise him to try and discredit Monahan and because there is no way that Ferland is a threat to Gaudreau because the numbers he puts up are so clearly inferior that nobody is going to say that he helps Gaudreau out.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

This accurately sums up the Flames' problems this month, strictly offence related. Defence and goaltending have been great since the Flyers game on December 4th.
Even though all of the above players have been on cold streaks, the coach hasn't changed any of the 5v5 lines, which is pretty much the definition of insanity.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yes because you praise him to try and discredit Monahan and because there is no way that Ferland is a threat to Gaudreau because the numbers he puts up are so clearly inferior that nobody is going to say that he helps Gaudreau out.
Maybe red herring, Idk. The Flames aren't finishing, but they still seem to create scoring chances, and I don't see what other areas they are bad in except the PK.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Maybe red herring, Idk. The Flames aren't finishing, but they still seem to create scoring chances, and I don't see what other areas they are bad in except the PK.

I think someone mentioned it above but the easiest answer is that they are mediocre and pretty much mediocre all over. They have just enough talent everywhere where you can say well that area isn't so bad, or on paper that looks decent but it is just that decent.

They are ok pretty much everywhere and that doesn't leave you with much margin for error. So they are left hanging around 7-8th in the conference but drop down to 10th when they have a down period like now and jump up to close to the division like they were earlier when on a hot streak.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Intangibles.

You say it as a joke, but the players with the most heart on the team are two kids and an NHL fringe player (Bennett, Tkachuk & Hathaway). When Calgary's losing, or losing badly those three are the only ones that seem disgusted about it. That and Smith, but there's only so much a goalie can do.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kopitar is a top 5 center in the league and Getzlaf is a former top 5 still a top 10 center. Sure he isn't at that level but neither is any of Calgary's players.

How come we aren't crapping on Gio for not being Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman etc. or Gaudreau for not being Kucherov, Benn, Tarasenko?

I doubt most teams have a better center and plenty of teams near the top do not- St. Louis, Vegas, NJ, Colombus.

Except,

Giordano is firmly in the top 10 Defence, not even a question.
Gaudreau is firmly in the top 10 Wings, not even a question.

Monahan is far off from being even in the same universe as the top 10 centres in the game. And yes, at this this time, the issue is he is Calgary's best option. I'd personally love to see what a streaking Bennett can do for Johnny, but, who knows.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Except,

Giordano is firmly in the top 10 Defence, not even a question.
Gaudreau is firmly in the top 10 Wings, not even a question.

Monahan is far off from being even in the same universe as the top 10 centres in the game. And yes, at this this time, the issue is he is Calgary's best option. I'd personally love to see what a streaking Bennett can do for Johnny, but, who knows.

There is definitely questions on both of those guys being in the top 10 of either of their positions.

Bennett has struggled at center his whole career. He has been moved to the wing and started to have a ton of success, I am not sure why we would rush to move him back or expect him to have more success than Monahan there when he has shown not a single thing to indicate that he would.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

By that logic, I should have been equally complimentary of Chiasson, right? To be sure I was doing enough to discredit Monahan? But anyone who knows me knows my disdain for him as a player - I'm sure you have an equally ridiculous reasoning for this?

I was also praising Ferland long before he played with Monahan, so your logic falls apart in both directions. And I have actually given credit to Ferland for Gaudreau's turnaround.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
By that logic, I should have been equally complimentary of Chiasson, right? To be sure I was doing enough to discredit Monahan? But anyone who knows me knows my disdain for him as a player - I'm sure you have an equally ridiculous reasoning for this?

I was also praising Ferland long before he played with Monahan, so your logic falls apart in both directions. And I have actually given credit to Ferland for Gaudreau's turnaround.

Nope

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Here's a list:

1) Special teams.
  • They suck. Can't score a PP goal to save their lives. PK gives up untimely goals, and you have a 50/50 that you'll either limit to no shots or spend the entire 2 minutes in their zone.
2) Better 1C
  • I've stuck to my guns, Monahan isn't an elite 1C. He's a complimentary centre who's found good chemistry with Gaudreau. He's good offensively, but when that dries out you see what the actual problem is; the fact that he's no a true 1C.
  • People point at 'look at his offensive numbers, blehhh top 10C'; no. Look it how Kopitar can take over a game and not notch a point. Check out Getzlaf, we've been dealing with him for the last decade, anyone see a huge disparity over him and Monahan? Getzlaf makes life ultra hard on Calgary when he plays them, every shift he looks like he could produce. Monahan doesn't do that. He doesn't like the puck, he doesn't have the vision to produce with it.
  • To me he's more or less your run-of-the-mill, offensive 2C that you can shelter on a good team, that or your convert LW that can scorch teams.
3) Coaching
  • No reason to have fodder like Stajan, Brouwer or Bartkowski in the lineup. They bring nothing, and get primo time.
  • No ability to adjust. After scoring more than 2 goals, twice over the past 10 games or something, Gulutzan says to the media there will be changes. Changes included: Injured Frolik out, Jagr up to his line where he played 50% of the game previously, Bartkowski in for Kulak. Like, that's it, that's all.
  • Continues to use Tkachuk as a shutdown winger. I think he'll be a better player than a guy like Marchand when all is said and done, but right now he's currently having to shut down the other teams' best lines every night, while also producing at a 50+point clip (while also having downright dominant possession numbers). This guy is a wizard with the puck and ultra intelligent. To think, he has literally had less than 20 minutes of 5v5 play with Gaudreau in his entier career. Your two most gifted players, and the coach has never played them in a game to see if there's anything there.
  • Not riding hot hands. Bennett is producing like a mad man now, every time he's on the ice he's producing... coach is keeping him with Jankowski (1 goal in like 10 games) and Hathaway (Fringe NHL grinder who is finding an excellent second gear). You have a chance to move him back down the middle and anchor him alongside your most talented players...

Anyone who says the defence is garbage, is just out to lunch or trying to troll Calgary. Those guys limit dangerous chances all night and don't give up a lot of primo shots. The problem is 3/4 forward lines haven't heard of defence; not much your best Dman is going to do when your centre isn't picking up a guy driving the slot.

This post nails pretty much everything, the Special Teams can be improved by a good coach and good assistant coaches(the problem is our coach and our coaching staff for the most part suck balls.)

For the better 1C, I kind of agree, there is always an improvement over Monahan(to be fair, if you don't have Crosby or McDaivd you can always upgrade) but the problem is, who do we upgrade with? And how many body parts is that going to cost? I think Monahan is better than he has played as of late, he maybe playing with a injury.

Before trading the players, hopefully a new a coach and new coaching staff is bought in.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

This accurately sums up the Flames' problems this month, strictly offence related. Defence and goaltending have been great since the Flyers game on December 4th.
Even though all of the above players have been on cold streaks, the coach hasn't changed any of the 5v5 lines, which is pretty much the definition of insanity.

It must be killer calling games right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad