What are the expectations for Tyson Jost?

Lastwind

Jan 20, 2020
Ottawa, ON
As much as Jost shot lots on goal and ended up with 1 point yesterday, I still found myself swearing at him throughout the game.

All of the bad is still there.

He seems like he’s giving great effort, but then loses possession without even making a play/pass. I would be a bigger fan of him if he was turning it over by actually attempting something.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Guys like PEB and Calvert who are high motor do anything to make a play are great up until their health/speed drops off just a little and they seem to become useless overnight.

These are the kind of guys a good team with sustainable success can replace internally every few years. Or in Calverts case push him back down the lineup as he ages and starts to slightly regress.

To put it another way... If you can't even develop third and fourth liners within the system... Boy are you screwed.

The Avs seem to be doing better in that part of things. I'm not worried about the ability to develop those type of guys. But Calvert and PEBs next contracts could be ugly if they don't seem to have other options.

Yeah, I agree that they need to develop more talent going forward, especially since cap room will be at a premium from here on out. I think, though, that you can always get reasonably-priced depth players via free agency. Even the cap-strapped teams sign a player or two off the scrap heap now and again. And it's clear they take an analytical approach to these acquisitions, getting guys who have good underlying numbers and who also happen to have all the grit/intangibles the old-school crowd likes so much.

I imagine once their current deals are up the Avs may look to do what they did when they signed Calvert to replace Comeau--find a young player who fits their needs in that particular role and begin the cycle anew.

The Avs are also not averse to looking outside the NHL for organizational depth. Frankie, even though he's struggling at present, was a solid acquisition they brought up the right way. No reason you can't find a forward or even a defenseman to fill those depth roles if need be. Admittedly, it can either be a hit (Mikheyev) or a miss (Zaitsev), but it's an option.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJOSTTHINGS

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Not trying to be argumentative here, but I hope Josty's efforts and ability the past 4-5 games is starting to show people what he has in him.
What a terrior and warrior, hey. Love him. So glad he's wracking up the points now, as well. Opinions on him will be very different in 12 months. Bank it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not trying to be argumentative here, but I hope Josty's efforts and ability the past 4-5 games is starting to show people what he has in him.
What a terrior and warrior, hey. Love him. So glad he's wracking up the points now, as well. Opinions on him will be very different in 12 months. Bank it.

Man those whole 2 points in January! :sarcasm:;)

Odd stat of the day... on Saturdays Jost has played 13 games this year and has 5 goals and 6 assists. In the 33 games combined on other days he has a total of 4 assists. :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Man those whole 2 points in January! :sarcasm:;)

Odd stat of the day... on Saturdays Jost has played 13 games this year and has 5 goals and 6 assists. In the 33 games combined on other days he has a total of 4 assists. :laugh:

And 3 of those goals came in one game :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

No, they won't.

I'm pretty sure Jost is what he is at this point, and that is...not a good NHLer.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I kind of hope Sakic sits Jost down and makes him watch videos of John Madden, Guy Carbonneau and Bob Gainey and tell him to screw offense completely, both for himself and the other team. Convert the kid into a pure shutdown center.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I kind of hope Sakic sits Jost down and makes him watch videos of John Madden, Guy Carbonneau and Bob Gainey and tell him to screw offense completely, both for himself and the other team. Convert the kid into a pure shutdown center.

Hate to break it to ya, but he's not good enough to be that type of player either.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Jost is such a disappointment this year and to be honest I don' t like him for a long time but I really don't understand how could you shit on him this last game against Detroit. He had fantastic game and was one of the best Avs players.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Probably not, but it would likely make him more useful than he is currently.

Not really. He simply can't be that guy. One of the reasons Zadorov can still be effective defensively despite some pretty poor hockey sense is that he's not only big and physical, but he's a fast-enough skater that he can keep up with the league's best. He's even able to stay pretty well in pace with Connor McDavid.

Jost can't do that, not even close. And it'd be a different story if he had near-elite hockey sense so he could anticipate the play better and be a step ahead, but it's just not on that level. There's just NOTHING in his skill set that really offsets the lack of speed he possesses. He has a shot but it's not nearly accurate enough. He has some ability to cause turnovers but it's only under certain circumstances. He's able to skate the puck up-ice and through the neutral zone, but he's not fast enough to really make a play or, again, get the puck on net with authority because his shot isn't good enough. And he reads the play well enough to put up decent defensive numbers, but just isn't quick enough to really shut a guy down IMO, and he's also not really big enough or strong enough to bump a guy off the puck either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean, I suppose it's a good thing when Tyson Jost is pretty much the worst player on the team. You have a pretty good team in that case.

I'm not even sure who the worst player in '16-17 was. Best guess is probably...Carl Soderberg.

Carl certainly did everything he could to earn that nom, but it's gotta be Joe "too lazy to even get a nickname" Colborne or BodyByChuck.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad