What are the chances of Mark Stone making Ottawa out of training camp?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's not going to get any better next year either. We'll have Pageau, Lazar, Hoffman, Stone and peumps fighting for spots, and only Condra's spot opening up.

Condra, Greening, Smith and Neil should all be watching their backs, me thinks.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Imagine all of Greening, Condra and Neil scram :O

Mac-Turris-Chiasson
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone
Grant-Smith-Lazar

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Both Stone and Lazar are going to have to kick down the door with their performance if they want to stay, just because of the numbers. They know this, so does the team, it's an excellent situation to have competition from hungry young players.

Instead of whining because other contracts are blocking them, let's hope they make it impossible to send them elsewhere, show me says Dorion.

It's the best situation to have. The Sens will make all the room necessary on the team if they deserve it. I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed.

Handing the kids the keys to the car as soon as they turn 16 is never a good option. Kids have to earn the privilege of putting on that jersey and playing on NHL ice.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's not going to get any better next year either. We'll have Pageau, Lazar, Hoffman, Stone and peumps fighting for spots, and only Condra's spot opening up.

Every player who isn't a superstar should be watching their backs.

The way to win in this league is to have guys who are hungry and want to show they are the best every time they hit the ice. No complacency.

Having a couple kids in Bingo whoa re NHL-capable at any given time is a good way to instill that little bit of fear into the vets and get everyone playing a little harder. Depth.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Last warning. Keep on topic. Infractions will be handed out to those that continue to go off-topic.

To be fair whether we get rid of useless vets or not directly impacts things like if stone makes the roster this year.

If you're talking about how we were talking about enforcers that was off topic. I agree. But that had stopped since your first warning.

But guys like Chris Neil, Erik condra, Colin Greenings role, or the organizations plan for them directly impacts the question at hand. Unless you want people to only answer "yes" or "no", they're going to mention other people who are ahead or equal to on the depth chart. Someone may respond saying they disagree that so and so is ahead on the depth chart for whatever reasons. That isn't going off topic. Its directly effecting the question at hand.

Just trying to clear up some potential confusion.

For example, I think stone has a 90% chance to make the team. If the sens could afford to send down greening, Neil, or condra, I would put his chances higher...like at 95%. however I feel Ottawa is too cheap to easily send underachievers down, therefore I keep it at 90% because I could see him outperform a vet, but they start stone in the AHL because of budget issues.

I mentioned other players, budget, and still was on topic.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Biggest for me is where they slot him. I'd love to see him with Turris and free up Ryan, but I'm not sure he starts on the top line. And I guess the idea of Lazar making the roster impacts the RW for Legwand.

In a perfect world he is slotted with Turris and MacArthur and the second line rolls with Michalek, Zibanejad and Ryan, leaving Chaisson with Legwand and Lazar.

If coach decides to roll Ryan with Turris, then Stone easily slips in with Zibanejad

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Biggest for me is where they slot him. I'd love to see him with Turris and free up Ryan, but I'm not sure he starts on the top line. And I guess the idea of Lazar making the roster impacts the RW for Legwand.

In a perfect world he is slotted with Turris and MacArthur and the second line rolls with Michalek, Zibanejad and Ryan, leaving Chaisson with Legwand and Lazar.

If coach decides to roll Ryan with Turris, then Stone easily slips in with Zibanejad

It all depends on chemistry. Once you find it, you try to keep using it. So regarding where Stone fits in or makes the starting lineup depends on how he performs in preseason, just as the same standard applies to other players trying to make the team. I think Stone will make the team, but Lazar's performance in preseason could affect Stone as he could be sent to Bingo to allow Lazar to 9 games before being sent to junior.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I believe both Zibanejad & Ceci are on two way contrcts & both could be sent to Bingo without going through waivers, same for Stone. However, I think Ceci will be the one defencemen sent back to Bingo simply because he is waiver exempt & I doubt they keep 8 defencemen in Ottawa. At some point next season either through injuries or one of the defencemen playing badly will get them traded or waived & Ceci will be called back up.

IMO Stone will be on the roster over Lazar, I believe the orgnaization wants Lazar to return to junior & captain a Team Canada team to gold in the WJC, it`s good for him & it`s good for the organization to have Lazar associated with the Senators during the tournament. Ottawa has plenty of forwards & a couple in Bingo just waiting for their chance, they don`t need to add Lazar to the roster this yr but I do think he will get his 9 game stint. IMO Hoffman will be the forward to start the yr in the hot seat, he will have to have a good start to stay with the team & not get traded or waived similar to Conacher last yr. Everytime I see Stone play he impresses me with something he does, IMO he not only makes the team but stikcs all yr.

Recap
Stone - makes the team out of training camp
Lazar - is returned to his junior team
Ceci - starts the yr in Bingo, re-called when a d-man gets hurt, traded or waived
Puempel/Guptil - eventually gets a callup this yr

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I can't see Stone not being in the line-up if he shows at least like he did last year. Looked like a quality NHL player with a ton of room to grow. If he does continue to grow, we can spread the scoring and have 3 scoring lines :

MacArthur-Turris-Stone (MacTurris* combo is the key, Stone hockey IQ and vision only makes it better)
Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan (could give us a rejuvenated Michalek and help Zbad breakout)
Chiasson-Legwand-Lazar (Legwand would help both youngers to cement themselves as good NHL players)
Hoffman/Greening-Smith-Neil

Condra is the odd man out, Greening too if we can move him.

Calls-ups : Pageau, Grant, Schneider, Puempel, Prince, Guptill, Dzingel

LOTS of options

1st PP : MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
2nd PP : Michalek/Legwand-Zibanejad-Stone/Chiasson/Lazar

A lot of good hockey players will have to fight for ice-time. The team is much more deeper than last year. We lost Spezza (and Conacher + Kassian) yes but we added Stone, Legwand, Chiasson and Lazar/Hoffman. And it might not be over as Condra and Greening might be out as well to make room for younger players.

* We should use this going forward lol

Having guys like fisher at 3c for so long, and havlat at 3rw for long has probably raised my standards, but I never considered Neil a great third liner.

In Neils prime he was our 4th line right winger behind alfredsson,hossa, and havlat. Then he got worse and worse while moving up the lineup. Of course there's bitterness.

If he was on our 4th line then, and this past year was 3rd line while being a quarter of his primes effectiveness, what the hell are we doing with this organization?

I see that some people easily say that but then I look at facts and see that Chris Neil was 13th in TOI/G among forwards

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142OTTFAFALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=timeOnIce

Hemsky, Stone and Hoffman only played 20-25 games each and Conacher is gone... So, Hemsky replaced Conacher and both had more TOI/G.

The ONLY regular forward who had LESS TOI/G than Chris Neil was Erik Condra

Other forwards who had less TOI/G are :

Matt Kassian, Derek Grant, JG Pageau, Stephane Da Costa...

All depth rookies and an enforcer who is well below NHL average in skating

Going forward, we subtracted Spezza but added Legwand and Chiasson who should both see more TOI/G than Neil. Stone, Lazar and Hoffman could all be on this (at least 2 of the 3 IMO) and will most likely see more TOI/G than Neil

Still worried?

Reality is there is no place anymore for both Neil and Condra. One will be moved and it will most likely be Condra (99% sure)

Note : In Neil's prime (2005-06 & 2006-07), he was easily a 3rd liner. We're talking about a 12-15 goals / 30 points player with only 12 of TOI/G. He scored 8 PP goals in 2005-06 (more than Spezza, Havlat, Vermette, etc. Was 3rd on the team)

Yep, Condra and Greening first. Smith and Neil (2 more years) will probably kept for the sandpaper they bring. The organization want guys who play "hard hockey", and if someone thinks that Neil doesn't, he needs to watch hockey another thousand games to understand the game a little bit more.

EDIT : Neil's TOI/G last year was 11:48. Let's drop it another 2 minutes, and have him as the 12th/13th forward.

Neil TOI/G :

2013-14 : 11:48
2012-13 : 13:51
2011-12 : 12:47
2010-11 : 12:45
2009-10 : 11:58
2008-09 : 10:58
2007-08 : 12:45
2006-07 : 13:07
2005-06 : 12:18

Since the lock-out, plays about 12 mins per game. That's 4th line ice-time, quality 4th liner though and what he has been MOST of his career.

Note that he played more in 2012-13, but guess why? Injuries.

Last edited:

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Recap
Ceci - starts the yr in Bingo, re-called when a d-man gets hurt, traded or waived
Puempel - eventually gets a callup this yr

Think this is pretty realistic.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
A darkhorse to make the team outta camp is Pageau. He made it last season beating Zibanejad and Da Costa (who played well too).

I would love to have him on the team, I just don't see where he fits.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Think this is pretty realistic.

I believe both Zibanejad & Ceci are on two way contrcts & both could be sent to Bingo without going through waivers, same for Stone. However, I think Ceci will be the one defencemen sent back to Bingo simply because he is waiver exempt & I doubt they keep 8 defencemen in Ottawa. At some point next season either through injuries or one of the defencemen playing badly will get them traded or waived & Ceci will be called back up.

IMO Stone will be on the roster over Lazar, I believe the orgnaization wants Lazar to return to junior & captain a Team Canada team to gold in the WJC, it`s good for him & it`s good for the organization to have Lazar associated with the Senators during the tournament. Ottawa has plenty of forwards & a couple in Bingo just waiting for their chance, they don`t need to add Lazar to the roster this yr but I do think he will get his 9 game stint. IMO Hoffman will be the forward to start the yr in the hot seat, he will have to have a good start to stay with the team & not get traded or waived similar to Conacher last yr. Everytime I see Stone play he impresses me with something he does, IMO he not only makes the team but stikcs all yr.

Recap
Puempel - eventually gets a callup this yr

This looks reasonable to me too, but i hope Ceci makes the team at the start ( which means one D man gets traded). Borowiecki may be the one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad