What are the chances of Mark Stone making Ottawa out of training camp?

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I'm in the process of formatting three articles for SenShot featuring the Binghamton Senators for the upcoming season in my scouting reports coming up in September.

I have a dilemma in that process that needs your help..should I include Stone in my B-Sens line-up? What are your thoughts?

Edit: Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think he can make the team for sure. If there's room is another story.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Too good for Bingo.

Good enough for the NHL.

Theres a spot for him.

They aren't trading him after all that development.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Right now Ottawa has 12 forwards and 8 defensemen that are on one-way contracts or that are "locks" to make the team like Zibanejad and Ceci.

That leaves one spot for Stone or Lazar without exposing anyone to waivers.

If both make it impossible to decide, Ottawa could risk Borowiecki or Hoffman through waivers.

How do injuries work in camp? Can you gain an extra spot on the 23 man roster if someone is injured when the season starts?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
TUTW4Gl.gif

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Will be interesting to see what happens because if Lazar makes the team, we have Ryan/Lazar/Chiasson/Stone/Condra/Neil all on RW.

That's 2 extra RWs. Unless one of them plays LW and the other sits (Neil :crossfing), IDK what happens.

BigBush*

Stone starts in Bingo, Lazar gets the 9 game tryout. If he sticks, Stone stays in Bingo and gets called up to replace an injured player.
If management doesn't feel Lazar is ready, or it isnt worth burning a year off his ELC, Lazar will get sent back down and Stone replaces him

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
He definitely has a roster spot IMO.

I still believe Dorion will find a way to move out at least one of Greening/Condra or Wiercioch,

BTW- Chiasson can play both LW and RW

Michalek-Zibanejad-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Chiasson/Legwand-Legwand/Lazar-Lazar/Chiasson
Hoffman-Smith-Neil

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Can not ONE of Stone/Lazar/Chiasson/Neil play the left side?

Chaisson can and Ryan can (should?) Stone worked well with Turris & MacArthur and I see that as a scenario that MacLean could explore. He can put Ryan back if he needs to.

I see Lazar on Legwand's Right Wing, if he makes the club; and the big question for me is who is the 2C - Legwand or Zibanejad - this could impact that decision.

MacArthur - Turris Stone/Ryan
Michalek - Zibanejad - Ryan/Stone
Chaisson - Legwand - Lazar
Hoffman- Smith - Condra
Neil, Greening

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
Hard to say, really. I think Stone clearly deserves to be on the team, but with 8 d-men likely to start the year (are they really going to send local boy Cody Ceci down?), there will likely be 13 forwards on the opening roster, including 11 givens:

Turris
Ryan
MacArthur
Zibanejad
Legwand
Michalek
Chiasson
Smith
Neil
Condra
Greening

That leaves 2 forward spots between Hoffman (needs to clear waivers and I suspect he'd get claimed), Stone & Lazar (and even Pageau/Puempel). The easy solution would be to send Stone down while Lazar gets his 9 game audition and go from there. I'd love to see a d-man get moved (e.g. Borowiecki) during camp and clear up a forward spot, but we'll see.

Re-signing Phillips has really screwed everything up IMO.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think it comes down to Stone, Lazar, or Condra.

Everyone here would think Condra should be the odd man out, but I think it will be Stone for the first 9 games until Lazar is sent back down. After that, I think Stone sticks for the rest of the season.

If Lazar sticks... I think Stone might stay in the A until there's an injury as much as I want him to play.

Note:
Maybe Stone/Condra split the first 9 games on the sidelines.

Karlsson2Turris*

Maybe this is why Murray is trying to move Greening/Condra?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Maybe this is why Murray is trying to move Greening/Condra?

I would agree.

The entire roster is jammed up. Too many bottom-6 type veterans and halfway decent prospects trying to get their shot.

It's funny that some of you guys have Stone penciled in on the first line of the team, and others have him starting in Bingo.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I think he's pretty much a lock, but I guess there's a small chance they do what they did with Zibanejad last year and err on the side of caution.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I really like Lazar, but hes getting really overrated on this board at least.

Stone has what, 3 years of development on him? He's also proven he can be a star in the AHL while Lazar has never even played a professional game. Theres nothing left to improve on that Stone couldn't do with the big team. and this is a subjective opinion, but I think Stone has more offensive upside regardless.

The odd man out is Condra. Only question is do they waive him this year or next.

BigBush*

How is Lazar being overrated? I think it's a lock that he'll get a 9 game look, and depending how he does will have a huge impact on Stone's roster spot. The organization is clearly much higher on Lazar than Stone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad