Speculation: What are the chances Larsson starts the season in Rochester?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Can we take a moment to talk about how our eventually center lineup could be McDavid, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson? Holy ****.

Also, if Larsson's ceiling is 3rd line, I think that's OK.
Potential to be a 3rd line superstar; if he pans out and he finds his offensive game then we lucked out big time on that acquisition in the Pommer trade seeing as Hackett looks to be the weak man out in goaltending.

VanekFanatic26

Blue Collar Police
Apr 30, 2010
Buffalo
Potential to be a 3rd line superstar; if he pans out and he finds his offensive game then we lucked out big time on that acquisition in the Pommer trade seeing as Hackett looks to be the weak man out in goaltending.

Funny how originally Hackett was the one we were excited about and Larsson was somewhat of an afterthought.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
To static80

I'm not understanding your comments about Larsson lacking hunger as a player. It's one of his strongest assets and why he is a good possession player. Murray has commented that Larssson is an incredibly competitive player and he loves that about him.

I guess my question is, what are you seeing that brings you to question his hunger?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Probably, I just don't see a place for him. At the deadline when we move some of Stafford, Stewart, Mitchell, etc. he probably comes up for good though. Post deadline roster could be something like:

Moulson-Ennis-Griorenko
Hodgson-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-Girgensons-Larson
Des-McCormick-Kaleta

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think, as the roster stands now, he'll be sent down because he's waiver exempt. But to my mind, there's no way Kaleta should make the roster before Larsson. Ellis and 36 should be the ones going down.

If it's for a 4th line spot I'd absolutely have Kaleta up than Larson. Larson playing 20 minutes a night in Roch better than him playing 10 a night in Buffalo.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Let's review what we do know, so you can see where my line of thought is coming from.

1. Murray has stated a rebuild need not take 4 years.

Agree. The rebuild end when Murray drafts the next center in 2015. Then the prospect development and prospect pipeline maintenance phase begins.

2. The collection of assets through the trades and drafts have brought a wealth of potential to the Sabres talent pile line. From high school on up to the big clubs roster itself you will see youth doing what youth does, develop. And that development is on going.

No argument here.

3. The amount of talent amassed far out numbers the amount of available slots with the big club, some will end up no more than AHL roster talent, but as the next draft approaches it is more than obvious the Buffalo Sabres have some very good NHL caliber talent through out it's organizational depth, from juniors on. Not all will be with the big club in the end.

Agree that some prospects won't make it. I think organizational depth will account for some. Lack of development will account for more. Just because they are in the system doesn't mean they'll pan out as NHL pros.

4. The 12 to 14 month window I am looking at is based on the talent that was garnered early on in the tear down process, many of those players are coming in to their own in the AHL and/or the big club. I don't believe it's unreasonable for Nolan to see who has hunger and who doesn't for those players that have had time to develop in the pro's for a bit. Remember, there is more youth continuing to develop and grow, both in age as well as experience within the game itself.

The tear down started with the Gaustad trade. So were talking about Girgensons, Grigorenko, etc by you're timeline. Which I don't agree with, since some players take longer to develop. There's a group on the Sabres trying to prove themselves (Girgensons, Ennis, Myers, Hodgson, Foligno, etc) and players trying to make the team (Pysyk, Grigorenko, Armia, Larsson, Ristolainen, etc). And there are those players still working through the development process (Zadarov, McCabe, Carrier, Fasching, Compher, etc).

Those players are spread out enough that one group isn't directly pushing another out..... And because there is room on the Sabres for most of them. Eg: Armia's development isn't forcing Ennis onto the trade block. Murray won't reach that point for a few years, when he'll know what he's got from most of the prospects.

5. Which brings me to Larsson, I personally see nothing special he brings to the club that dictates he has shown the hunger I speak of. He does "Ok" in the AHL, but I'll error on the side of caution and say "Ok" doesn't get it done with this organization knowing what we know on the amassed talent that is progressing.

How are you grading "hunger?" Does he look lazy on the ice to you? From all accounts (coaching, management), Larsson is driven.

6. Does he fill a need? For now, sure. I would imagine that 12 to 14 month window I speak on is plenty of time for Murray/Nolan and company to assess whether he has progressed further or whether he's not going to cut it on an NHL roster.

You can say this exact statement about almost anyone on the roster and in the pipeline.

7. Is Larsson a unique talent? Not at all, but, he has the ability to be added to a trade package that may push a deal through and bring in something we do need. It's plausible if he doesn't quite make the grade for the Sabres roster, another team could see him as an addition to their AHL roster and he may want to move on if he can't crack the line up here.

Are you already grading Larsson as a career AHL forward?

As I said early on, it's not that I'm stating he should or will get moved, but Larsson is on the bubble as far as I can tell given his amount of time to show something. Let's see how he does this season, either in the A or with the big club, but if a trade is there where he's a component, I don't hesitate if I'm Murray. So far, as I said, from what I've seen, there are players coming up that may show more hunger than what I've seen from Larsson so far.

There are plenty of players from the 2010 draft that haven't reached full potential or shown a lot at the NHL level. Larsson was a second rounder, who probably should have been in the NHL all last year, but was sent down to work on the offensive aspects of his game. From a defensive and possession aspect, he was an NHLer last year. BTW, same thing happened with Pysyk, another 2010 draftee.

Of course, this is just an opinion of mine, but hey, like I said, some players we've collected are getting moved most likely, there is no logical reason to hang on to every player we've collected if it is in an attempt to better the team over all and that is what I see Murray and Co. doing, attempting to better the team over all.

No argument. But your argument and moving Larsson aren't coupled. Everything you wrote can include Larsson. I bet it will.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think the only thing that got us excited was after Wild fans posted about how jealous they were we got him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Do note about WGR, this was when they were really pushing trading Miller, especially Schopp. That's more what the Hackett 'hype' was about. If you go to them for knowledgeable opinions of players outside of Buffalo, hahahoho.

VanekFanatic26

Blue Collar Police
Apr 30, 2010
Buffalo
Do note about WGR, this was when they were really pushing trading Miller, especially Schopp. That's more what the Hackett 'hype' was about. If you go to them for knowledgeable opinions of players outside of Buffalo, hahahoho.

Yeah. It's a mix of them, Twitter, and ****** (r e d d i t apparently you can't talk about that here?). I'm sort of surrounded by the three of them.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I guess it would depend if Samson makes the team or not. Maybe thats one of camp battles this september, Larsson vs Reinhart.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Larsson has never impressed me me other than as a "trier". His skill level is too low for a top 6 and maybe even top 9. Hope I am wrong...

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Larsson has never impressed me me other than as a "trier". His skill level is too low for a top 6 and maybe even top 9. Hope I am wrong...

I think he has definitely shown to be at least a strong defensive/possession player at the NHL level. Now it's a matter of can he bring an offensive game to the NHL.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

I always didn't really like Hackett. Never thought he'd be that great, Larsson and the 1st were what I was most excited about.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Did I enter bizarro world? In what way would Ennis holding out be good for the Sabres in either the short-term or the long-term? :huh:

No Ennis = a lot less goal for us....We're bad enough but remove a top line player, and it's all the better for the tank...

Dishonor for Connor. :yo:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Since I pretty much bagged last season and didn't pick up Center Ice, I know nothing about this kid. What role is he projected to fill?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Since I pretty much bagged last season and didn't pick up Center Ice, I know nothing about this kid. What role is he projected to fill?

Third line center or winger, who could possibly jump up to 2nd line wing if the fit is right -- and if he translates his offense. He's already NHL-caliber in possession, strength, and d-zone, but hopefully he will show some more finish in the o-zone like he did when he was sent back to Rochester after LaFontaine and Nolan took over.

He's a stocky player nicknamed "The Bull" going back to his time in Sweden because of his aggressive, strong game. Really hard on the puck, great in battles, smart player. Very strong for his size (he's like 5'11"). Has pretty solid offensive tools for a guy projected as a third liner. His skating gets the job done, especially since he's a simple straight-line kind of guy who thinks the game well, but it certainly lacks dynamic ability. That's easily the most underwhelming part of his game for me.

Edit: I think he could be something like our version of Sobotka from the Blues, for a comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad