Speculation: What are the chances Larsson starts the season in Rochester?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was looking at various line ideas with the forwards we currently have. One thing that really stands out is the looming battle in camp for bottom 6 spots.

I made a couple of assumptions with the lineup.

1) Reinhart makes the team

2) the foliowing is the top 6

Mouslon/Ennis/Stafford
Hodgson/Girgs/Stewart

That leaves 10 more forwards; Reinhart, Gionta, Foligno, Deslaurier, Flynn, Mitchell, McCormick, Kaleta, Larsson and Ellis looking to fill the last 8 spots on the roster (6 bottom six spots and the 2 extra forwards).

Obviously this can change between now and camp. But assuming things stay as they are, what are the chances Larsson is one of the two (I'm assuming Elis is going back) that ends up in Rochester to start the season?

This thought about Larsson popped into my head because he is still exempt from waivers. Whereas other young guys battling for spots like Deslaurier and Flynn are not. Obviously those two and someone like Kaleta could get sent down instead.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
My 4th line is set.

Deslaurier-McCormick-Kaleta

I'm sending Ellis and Mitchell down to Rochester (Or traded in Mitchells case)

3rd line i have ..

Foligno -Reinhart- Stewart

Gionta would be in top six.

I'd have Flynn as a extra forward.

I'd keep Larsson in Rochester to start anyways.

ZeroPT*

My 4th line is set.

3rd line i have ..

same basically

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My 4th line is set.

3rd line i have ..

I'd be pretty surprised if that happened. He is exactly the type of vet they need in the bottom 6 and he's a Murray pickup. Trade is certainly a possibility

EDIT: And they will have 2 extra forwards not one.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Guys/Gals

I'm not looking for line combos and thats kind of missing the point. I'm asking what are the chances Larsson ends up starting the year in Rochester. Obviously laying out your lines helps make your case but its only part of it since there will be two extra forwards.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
So what does this mean? Do you see Larsson in Rochester or as an extra forward on the roster?

ROC, first callup

I don't think they're done making moves though.

I'm also not real high on Larsson as a prospect. I don't think he tops out much more than a 3rd line checking winger. He's been pretty underwhelming in his limited NHL time.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Guys/Gals

I'm not looking for line combos and thats kind of missing the point. I'm asking what are the chances Larsson ends up starting the year in Rochester. Obviously laying out your lines helps make your case but its only part of it since there will be two extra forwards.

At this point, I think it's pretty darned good that Larsson is in Rochester to start the season.....with or without Reinhart in the lineup.

I also don't know why so many people think that Mitchell is going somewhere. He's a pretty darned good 4th liner that works hard and is very good on the PK. He's a prototypical 4th liner.......and he makes $1.9 million which helps us get to the floor.

Larsson doesn't need to clear waivers. He's down.
Ellis won't get claimed, he's down.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the clarification.

and you're probably right in regards to more moves.

I can really see a Stewart or Stafford move that opens up a spot for him if they think he's ready for top 9 minutes.

We're starting to get to the point where decisions need to be made with some of these "older" prospects like Armia and Larsson. They're going to get jumped by the Comphers/Faschings sooner than later.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
In a numbers game, he may end up starting in Rochester since be is exempt... But I have to point out that your assumed top 6 doesn't really give us a good 2 way combo to do the heavy lifting

From a talent perspective there is no way Flynn, Des, Kaleta, or Mitchell should be getting a spot before him

I hope he makes the team, he's a key "glue" guy in the future IMO.

If the Ennis line is getting big minutes, and the Girgs line is meant to do some heavy lifting, then I could see Larsson on Girgs wing.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Larsson-Girgs-Hodgson
Stewart-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-McCormick-XXXX

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
In a numbers game, he may end up starting in Rochester since be is exempt... But I have to point out that your assumed top 6 doesn't really give us a good 2 way combo to do the heavy lifting

From a talent perspective there is no way Flynn, Des, Kaleta, or Mitchell should be getting a spot before him

I hope he makes the team, he's a key "glue" guy in the future IMO.

If the Ennis line is getting big minutes, and the Girgs line is meant to do some heavy lifting, then I could see Larsson on Girgs wing.

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Larsson-Girgs-Hodgson
Stewart-Reinhart-Gionta
Foligno-McCormick-XXXX

For the purpose of discussion I had to put someone there. I saw that group as a likely outcome. I can certainly see other options. But I don't thing there is much of a chance Larsson ends up in the top 6 out of camp.

I agree Larsson will be a glue guy and I'm huge fan of his. But right now due to the numbers he may start out in Rochester.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm also not real high on Larsson as a prospect. I don't think he tops out much more than a 3rd line checking winger. He's been pretty underwhelming in his limited NHL time.

I forgot you're not a fan and were pretty harsh on him, ridiculously so.

I can really see a Stewart or Stafford move that opens up a spot for him if they think he's ready for top 9 minutes.

We're starting to get to the point where decisions need to be made with some of these "older" prospects like Armia and Larsson. They're going to get jumped by the Comphers/Faschings sooner than later.

I don't think thats going to be an issue any time soon. If anything a decision will be made on Larsson soon because after this season he loses his waiver exemption.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Kaleta will make the team because Nolan is Nolan. I think the only way Johan makes the team out of camp is if a few more moves are made.

I still don't understand how some posters think Larsson isn't a good prospect because he likely tops out as a 3rd liner. 3rd Liners and 4th liners can come from other places than Free Agency. Larsson is the type of player that will likely match his season point totals during the playoffs in far fewer games.

Karate Johnson*

I wouldn't be surprised if Larsson ends up being part of a trade to acquire some high end talent.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Kaleta will make the team because Nolan is Nolan. I think the only way Johan makes the team out of camp is if a few more moves are made.

I still don't understand how some posters think Larsson isn't a good prospect because he likely tops out as a 3rd liner. 3rd Liners and 4th liners can come from other places than Free Agency. Larsson is the type of player that will likely match his season point totals during the playoffs in far fewer games.

Who doesn't think Larsson is a good prospect?

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I dont see Larsson starting the season in Buffalo. However I do think he will be the last cut and the first call up.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think he starts in Buffalo but I would be surprised if he didn't play close to 60 games with the Sabres (barring injury). He will get a very good opportunity this season, similar to how Toffoli was this season.

I am a big Larsson guy, I think he is going to be like Sobotka is with the Blues.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think he starts in Buffalo but I would be surprised if he didn't play close to 60 games with the Sabres (barring injury). He will get a very good opportunity this season, similar to how Toffoli was this season.

I am a big Larsson guy, I think he is going to be like Sobotka is with the Blues.

Love the comparison, I've made it myself.

He's going to be a guy that is just plain difficult to play against (like Sobotka)... And he'll be able to play anywhere in your lineup (like Sobotka)... If he's in a checking role, he'll be an elite possession forward. And if he's on a scorin line, he'll be the glue guy who does the dirty work in the corners and around the net.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I see Larsson becoming a Jochen Hecht in his prime but more of a dink.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Love the comparison, I've made it myself.

He's going to be a guy that is just plain difficult to play against (like Sobotka)... And he'll be able to play anywhere in your lineup (like Sobotka)... If he's in a checking role, he'll be an elite possession forward. And if he's on a scorin line, he'll be the glue guy who does the dirty work in the corners and around the net.

I was coming in this thread to make the Sobotka comparison too. I agree 100%. Guy is going to be huge going forward for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad