Speculation: What are the chances Larsson starts the season in Rochester?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Third line center or winger, who could possibly jump up to 2nd line wing if the fit is right -- and if he translates his offense. He's already NHL-caliber in possession, strength, and d-zone, but hopefully he will show some more finish in the o-zone like he did when he was sent back to Rochester after LaFontaine and Nolan took over.

He's a stocky player nicknamed "The Bull" going back to his time in Sweden because of his aggressive, strong game. Really hard on the puck, great in battles, smart player. Very strong for his size (he's like 5'11"). Has pretty solid offensive tools for a guy projected as a third liner. His skating gets the job done, especially since he's a simple straight-line kind of guy who thinks the game well, but it certainly lacks dynamic ability. That's easily the most underwhelming part of his game for me.

Edit: I think he could be something like our version of Sobotka from the Blues, for a comparison.

Thanks. So... aside from skating, Jochen Hecht?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thanks. So... aside from skating, Jochen Hecht?

Jochen at his best was Jagr-esque at protecting the puck with his body. He was a good fit in a top 6. His big frame and smooth skating were his what set him apart. Larsson has a low center of gravity and a great work rate and tenacity. I don't see him as a top 6 forward. I never really understood the Jochen comparison, other than that they were both versatile defense first forwards.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Guys/Gals

I'm not looking for line combos and thats kind of missing the point. I'm asking what are the chances Larsson ends up starting the year in Rochester.
100%

He's not ready for full time duty in the NHL yet and there's not enough room up here.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I thought Larsson played extremely well when he was called up to the team. I think he is the perfect 3rd line player that can fill in on the 2nd line if need be. I think he is one of our underrated prospects. I think he makes the team this year.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
"He's not ready".
Yes, I don't believe he is. Another half season in Rochester to help him work out his offensive zone decision making and offensive impact. I think he's ready in a defensive-minded aspect, but he's got a long way to go at the other end of the rink. No need to start the season in Buffalo. He can't be hurt by staying in Rochester and being one of the first, if not the first call up.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Late arrival to this party but I agree with the general majority: as the roster is currently laid out, he's squeezed to Rochester unless they get him more than token 4th line minutes. I'm fine with that. He could play a regular shift in Buffalo at the start of the season but I'd rather give him 1st line time in Rochester and see how much more offensive development can be mustered. With injuries/callups/other moves, he'll see plenty of NHL time next season and I fully expect him to be graduated before April.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think Nick D getting a one way deal and McCormick coming back will make it a lot harder for Larsson to start in Buffalo.

There are a ton of bottom 6 forwards right now.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm debating on this still a bit.

Murray has come out and said a few times that he wants a functional 4th line that can play.

Personally, I see Larsson as a 2nd/3rd line NHLer long term. A good piece, but not a part of the 'core'

Assuming the 4th line would actually get play:

I don't hate

Deslauriers-Larsson-McCormick as an energy line

In fact, I probably prefer it to

Deslauriers-McCormick-Flynn as I think McCormick is more effective on RW.

With Flynn/one of Mitchell/Kaleta for the 14th forward.

Would it be better for Larsson to get top 6 minutes in Rochester or man the 4th line though?

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
I think Larsson will just fine in the NHL. In fact I think if Reinhart doesn't stick with the team Larsson takes his spot on the 3rd line. You have consider who Larsson's linemates were last year. His first call up mainly centered the 4th line consisting of Scott, Kaleta, Flynn, and McCormick. I'm sorry, but I think even Crosby would have a hard time getting points with them. If Reinhart gets sent back down, I would love to see what he could do with Gionta and Stewart/Folingo as his wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad