What are the chances CHIA pursues Dubie this offseason?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Depends how he plays. If he can give us .915+SV% I would be very happy with that contract.

He gave .916, .914, and .920 save percentages his first go around, and all the vitriol directed his way left me wondering if he was visiting the homes of Oiler fans during off hours to kick their pets :laugh:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Lol this is honestly the stupidest idea I've ever read on these boards.

We almost cost Dubnyk his career - he was literally a back up in the AHL. He got out of our system alive (barely) ... And you think he's gonna roll the dice? He's having success in Minny, just get over it and move on.

It's like escaping living Hell, and asking if you'd want another chance to come back? Absolute best case scenario he has equal success as what he's having in Minny. Worst case, he's back to the old Dubnyk who was mentally fragile and couldn't stop a beach ball

Well, if he's a smart guy he will notice that it wasn't just the oilers opinion. and that spurned him to change his game and get to where he is now. But that's logic and it may not be a decision made on logic.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I sure hope not. I think Dubynks recent strong play is just a fluke I still have 0 confidence in him.

I'm happy that Dubnyk has turned it around but I kind of agree with this.

There no way he gets the kind of protection on the Oilers like he does now. The situation he's in now is perfect for him, I doubt he leaves.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Dubnyk's camp is looking for $5M per season, according to Nick Kypreos on the CBC intermission panel.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm happy that Dubnyk has turned it around but I kind of agree with this.

There no way he gets the kind of protection on the Oilers like he does now. The situation he's in now is perfect for him, I doubt he leaves.

Every other goalie on Arizona and Minnesota posted horrible numbers this past season with the same defence and system. Dubnyk was just on another level this year.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Is there any chance the Oilers might try to target Rammo out of Calgary? I think he may be a very good option. Or is the consensus that he would be to much of a wildcard like the other backups the Oilers have tried???

Calgary just signed Ortio to a one way contract so either Ramo or Hiller will probably be available.

Comic Book Guy*

Does this idiot know that Boston College and Boston University are not the same thing?!? That's like saying the U of A and the University of Athabasca are the "same thing, chill out".

Why in the world should I give credence to a man who doesn't even know which hockey program this player was a part of? TVA, this is incredibly embarassing journalism.

What will his tweet look like when he signs in Edmonton?

Comic Book Guy*

$5 Million is hilarious for a goalie that lets in 1-2 soft "back-breaker" goals per game.

I heard a story somewhere about Grant Fuhr. The 80s Oilers knew he was a good goalie, but he wasn't some kind of goaltending savant like a Patrick Roy or Dominik Hasek. The thing that made Fuhr special is that no matter what happened, he wouldn't let "the next goal" go in. He shut the door when the team needed him. He was clutch.

Dubnyk is the antithesis of this. He makes difficult saves look easy due to his size. But when the team needs him, he loses concentration for that one second and lets in a goal that he would have 100/100 during practice. Scrivens has this problem too.

Dubie's mental toughness is not at the level that is required for a team as mentally fragile as the Oilers. He would be an extremely poor choice as goalie for the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad