HF Habs: What are our real odds for Lafreniere? (Use this thread for Lafreniere talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Someone tell Petry that we have an actual real chance at a franchise player please.
He wouldn’t even be on the team right now if Bergevin would’ve done what he needed to do at the trade deadline.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Unacceptable to keep him in the game after the 4th goal. I would have had him out after the 3rd.
Heck I would have just started Jarry game 1. If he struggles then you put in Murray. Now the Pens risk keeping a shaky goalie in net or putting someone in who is cold.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Heck I would have just started Jarry game 1. If he struggles then you put in Murray. Now the Pens risk keeping a shaky goalie in net or putting someone in who is cold.

They really played the wrong hand.. and they are paying for it. Sullivan won't go to Jarry facing elimination and he won't throw in any of his other d men for Johnson.

Reactions: donghabs98

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I knew they should have started Jarry based on their play this season but I was told it had to be Murray because he won cups.
His experience has meant nothing so far in this series.

Reactions: Gravity

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Start to look like 0% drafting Lafrenière while still having 0% winning the cup.
That's how I feel. There's no way in hell they're winning the Cup with that roster. Might as well go all-in for Lafreniere.

They're about to screw that up too. Best french-Canadian player to come out of the draft in over twenty years.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I was asking the question wrong. The question really is: What are the odds that a playoff will take place, we lose to Pittsburgh and then win Phase II of the lottery?

What is the formula for dependent probability?

If they are dependent, then P(A and B) = P(A)*P(B|A) which is the probability of A times the probability of "B happening if A has occurred," which is different than the "Probability of B if A has not occurred."

A-NHL playoffs will happen (let's say 25%)
B-Montreal loses to Pittsburgh (let's say 65%)

P(25%)*P(65%/25%) = 25%/2.6=‭‭9.62%

THEN

A-Playoffs happen and Montreal loses to Pittsburgh: 9.62%
B-We win Phase II of the lottery (12.5%)

P(9.62%)*P(12.5%/9.62%) = 9.62%/1.3=‭‭%7.4

If you change the odds:

A-NHL playoffs will happen (let's say 50%)
B-Montreal loses to Pittsburgh (let's say 60%)

P(50%)*P(60%/50%) = 50%/1.2=‭‭41.7%

THEN

A-Playoffs happen and Montreal loses to Pittsburgh: 41.7% chance of both of those things occurring
B-We win Phase II of the lottery (12.5%)

P(41.7%)*P(12.5%/41.7%) = 41.7%/0.30=‭‭12.51% (wut?)

If the playoffs don't take place: 12.5%

So, our odds are the same?
About 350%

Jul 6, 2016
That's how I feel. There's no way in hell they're winning the Cup with that roster. Might as well go all-in for Lafreniere.

They're about to screw that up too. Best french-Canadian player to come out of the draft in over twenty years.

Only 12,5% chance of getting that 1st pick.... 87,5% chances they won't get it.

Detroit and Ottawa had way more chances to get that 1st round pick.... And they did not.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

bat7.jpg

Lafreniere_Pittsburgh.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He wouldn’t even be on the team right now if Bergevin would’ve done what he needed to do at the trade deadline.

Bergevin didn't need to trade Tatar and Petry. If your narrative was true... We would not have Tatar, Suzuki, and Norlinder cause we would have traded Patch for a lower return to the Panthers at the deadline.

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1st or 9th is ten times better than beating Pittsburgh and draftin 16th.

Agreed. Here is how I see it though.

- If we knock out the Pens but we are blown out in the next round, we are all going to be pissed off!
- If we knock out the Pens but we actually do compete very well in the next round and possibly reach the round after... then what? A little better feeling?

Yeah, I rather the shot at 1 and settle for 9. Not all in our fan base thinks this way but they also can't see the forest for the trees at the moment

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Lafreniere playing with Crosby or McDavid would actually be good for the game overall.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What a shitty time for Kotkaniemi and Suzuki to start taking the next step in their development as centers and then Clode goes all Scotty Bowman and drops Danault to the third line and boom, we are on the verge of eliminating Pittsburgh. It is really, really going to sting if we send them home and then lose in the first round. I guess that it's not over yet but man, the way that the Pens folded was concerning to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad