What “Common Wisdom” Do You Doubt or Disagree With?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
And you’re moving the goalposts by stating things that were never said. He didn’t say it was weak. He literally called it invalid as in not even an argument aka useless or meaningless. You’re arguing semantics. If it’s not valid it’s not usable which makes it meaningless.

Problem is that there's a difference between "meaningless" and "invalid".

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
When a player loses or breaks his stick in the defensive zone, he should stand around like a useless idiot rather than skating to the bench and changing with someone else or sprinting back with a new stick.

So you think it would be better for the player to skate out of the defensive zone leaving his team shorthanded? You think that's a *better* idea?

Reactions: RosstheBoss

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
How is not an even playing ground?

Taxes. signing bonuses which most teams can’t afford. Those inflated never ending contracts which helped Chicago and LA. Arizona having Pronger, Hossa, Datsyuk on the cap when not playing.... Honestly lots of loopholes and examples all around. The marginal laughable increase in cap. Good portion of the teams can’t hit the cap other half have to give up good players because they can’t afford them. Like this isn’t the Yankees either. You have to start trading good players when you have a half stacked team with the rest being marginal AHLers

Last edited:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Taxes. signing bonuses which most teams can’t afford. Those inflated never ending contracts which helped Chicago and LA. Arizona having Pronger, Hossa, Datsyuk on the cap when not playing.... Honestly lots of loopholes and examples all around. The marginal laughable increase in cap. Good portion of the teams can’t hit the cap other half have to give up good players because they can’t afford them. Like this isn’t the Yankees either. You have to start trading good players when you have a half stacked team with the rest being marginal AHLers

Clearly.

No team takes more advantage of this than the Leafs, but they still aren't enjoying the same competitive financial advantage they WOULD have in a non-cap environment.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
That McDavid is the best and that’s all there is to it- Drai can be better for a week, a month. If someone wants to argue Kuch was better last season- sure, they have a case. We debate/argue unwinnable concerns on here in general, but the one where an active player is either the greatest or isn’t- there are so many factors at play, so many different time frames you could look at- any sweeping superlatives are just simplifying it all a bit too much.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Pulling goalies earlier and earlier is better.

Depends how many goals you are down and the importance (ie. stanley cup game etc), but it should generally be no more than 2.50 to 3 minutes for being 2 goals down. For being 1 goal down, 1.5 to 2 min max.

A team should be determined to beat the other team 5 on 5 first. Pulling the goalie should be a last resort. Seeing it happen at 4, 5 and 6 minutes left even if down by two is just nuts and a new phenomenon of the last 5 to 10 years.

Reactions: blueinbigd

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
"Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen" Maybe it's only because I'm a Calgary fan and this has been our attitude for as long as I can remember, but teams seem to believe that you make the playoffs and then you hopefully get hot at the right time and you can win the cup. Each year 16 teams make the playoffs, but I give less than half of that a realistic chance at winning the cup.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Clearly.

No team takes more advantage of this than the Leafs, but they still aren't enjoying the same competitive financial advantage they WOULD have in a non-cap environment.
Right now Arizona has both Marian Hossa (Who never played for them) and Jason Demers on LTIR until their contracts are up after the 2021 season.

Toronto only has David Clarkson and Nathan Horton on LTIR for this season since their contracts expire at the end of this year among players they traded to do that, although at least with Clarkson his current contract was originally signed by the Leafs.

RosstheBoss

Feb 19, 2020

Depends how many goals you are down and the importance (ie. stanley cup game etc), but it should generally be no more than 2.50 to 3 minutes for being 2 goals down. For being 1 goal down, 1.5 to 2 min max.

A team should be determined to beat the other team 5 on 5 first. Pulling the goalie should be a last resort. Seeing it happen at 4, 5 and 6 minutes left even if down by two is just nuts and a new phenomenon of the last 5 to 10 years.

I think it's more of a "what does the situation call for". If you are down 3, then going down 4 isn't a huge difference, but getting it to -2 is. I might be more inclined to pull my goalie with a few minutes left rather than a few seconds in that case.

Also remember, getting scored on in an empty net can be an emotional blow. It doesn't end your chances, but it certainly deflates the team

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It is. Coaches don’t pull them earlier because it’s a more embarrassing way to lose.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
"Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen" Maybe it's only because I'm a Calgary fan and this has been our attitude for as long as I can remember, but teams seem to believe that you make the playoffs and then you hopefully get hot at the right time and you can win the cup. Each year 16 teams make the playoffs, but I give less than half of that a realistic chance at winning the cup.

I've made a thread or two about this. Totally agree. Since the 07/08 Wings Cup (I'm a Hawks fan so I used the Toews and Kane era as my starting point) only one time has there been a 7/8 seed, a wildcard seed in today's format, win the Cup and only two times including the 2012 Kings has a wildcard seed made the Cup Finals. The #8 seed Kings and #7 Flyers are, I believe, the only two teams to have made it to the Finals.

"Anything can happen!" is a statistical lie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofveve

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The AHL isn't some magical development league that all younger players struggling in the NHL should play in.

Reactions: Tofveve

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

If it wasn't essentially just Leaf fans saying this you may have some more validity to your argument. But this was debated all summer long. The "unfairness" of tax rates and the salary cap in general is completely overblown and would be getting nowhere near the attention it got if the Leafs didn't allocate a disproportionate amount of cap space to their top 6 forwards.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The AHL isn't some magical development league that all younger players struggling in the NHL should play in.

Similar to this, I don't think players need to spend 2, 3, 4 and 5 years in the AHL "developing." IMO it actually ruins some careers. Some lose that elite drive and belief themselves and their skills. It works for some, but others would benefit from hitting the big league sooner.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If it wasn't essentially just Leaf fans saying this you may have some more validity to your argument. But this was debated all summer long. The "unfairness" of tax rates and the salary cap in general is completely overblown and would be getting nowhere near the attention it got if the Leafs didn't allocate a disproportionate amount of cap space to their top 6 forwards.
So how come when Steve Yzerman was the Lightning GM and they meet with John Tavares about signing with them, he used their no state tax advantage as to why he should choose them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So how come when Steve Yzerman was the Lightning GM and they meet with John Tavares about signing with them, he used their no state tax advantage as to why he should choose them.

Because it's a superficial lie and someone (both player and agent) would have to be very dumb to use that as a major reason for signing/not signing in Tampa. Obviously your point is bad for the simple fact that Tavares didn't sign in Tampa but took "less money" and signed in Toronto regardless of the taxes.

There's actually a longer, more intelligent, rebuttal to your question but you can go re-read the old discussions on it as I don't want to go through it for the 50th time

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
I've made a thread or two about this. Totally agree. Since the 07/08 Wings Cup (I'm a Hawks fan so I used the Toews and Kane era as my starting point) only one time has there been a 7/8 seed, a wildcard seed in today's format, win the Cup and only two times including the 2012 Kings has a wildcard seed made the Cup Finals. The #8 seed Kings and #7 Flyers are, I believe, the only two teams to have made it to the Finals.

"Anything can happen!" is a statistical lie.
Wait a moment - did you just say it's a "statistical lie" to say a thing can happen, because that thing actually happened only once in a sample size of 12 instances? It seems to me that you inadvertently proved that anything can indeed happen. Because it did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad