What “Common Wisdom” Do You Doubt or Disagree With?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Couple of mine are:

1. I’m not sure playoff or cup championship experience matters in the NHL. I believe it matters in individual sports like Golf or Tennis, but I don’t think it matters much, if at all, in the NHL. Or, put another way, I think in some cases it may hurt where in other situations it may help. I don’t care how many players I have on my team with cup experience or championships. (I think it matters for coaching a bit maybe but not for players).

2. I don’t think there’s much difference between the Top 15 Goalies in the league at any given moment. Maybe it’s even Top 20. Too hard to compare goalies across different teams with different systems and as long as you’ve got a got a halfway decent goalie I think it’s enough for a shot at a run.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Trophies won such as stanley cup, art ross, rocket etc... are not valid arguments for why one player is better than another.

I dunno.... If I was trying to explain why Jamie Benn had a better career so far than James Van Riemsdyk, I'd almost certainly mention the Art Ross.

Though, to be honest, I don't know why I should have to explain such a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leksand

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I dunno.... If I was trying to explain why Jamie Benn had a better career so far than James Van Riemsdyk, I'd almost certainly mention the Art Ross.

Though, to be honest, I don't know why I should have to explain such a thing.

By bringing up art ross your are not providing a convincing argument. There are much more valid normalised stat-based indicators such as his 5v5 g/60 or his 5v5 p1/60 or his PP g/60 or his PP p1/60 or all 4 as a demonstration of his body of work. I bet the year he won the art ross he probably wasn’t the most effective offensive player that year when on the ice.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
By bringing up art ross your are not providing a convincing argument. There are much more valid normalised stat-based indicators such as his 5v5 g/60 or his 5v5 p1/60 or his PP g/60 or his PP p1/60 or all 4 as a demonstration of his body of work. I bet the year he won the art ross he probably wasn’t the most effective offensive player that year when on the ice.
Ok man, you take the guy playing 15 minutes a game who has really impressive primary points per 60 numbers at 5 on 5, I'll take the guy that has the most points in the league. Deal?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
When a player loses or breaks his stick in the defensive zone, he should stand around like a useless idiot rather than skating to the bench and changing with someone else or sprinting back with a new stick.

Thank. You.

Worse than useless - throws off the other defenders who could go into a PK box or diamond formation. 4V5 can kill most 2 minute penalties, they can cover for the 5 seconds it takes to get a stick/replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad