What’s up with Calgary?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
They are an above average team who haven't gotten the breaks this year. I'd avoid any rash moves if I were Treliving, but they definitely need to find a way to get at least couple additional top 9 forwards as well as a capable back-up (relying on a 35yo goalie without one seems ill-advised in hindsight).

What makes a year like this tough, though -- aside from obviously the disappointing season in of itself -- is that now Gio is going to be a year older, Smith is going to be a year older. I know Calgary's got some decent goalie and defense prospects in their system but those are two major pieces on the downside of their careers and there are never any guarantees with prospects.
Also, their lack of picks heading into this draft. Also their 1st rounder which they used to acquire Hamonic might be a top 10 pick, if Calgary continues to free fall.

Just a terrible season for them. They have a good top 6, but their bottom 6 is one of the worst in the league.

If I were Treivling, I would look to move Brodie, Stone, for some offensive help OR for picks. Guys like Valimki, Fox, Andersson likely make the jump to the NHL within the next year or so. Trade some of the older vets like Stajan, and also they should just end the Lazar experiment.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Flames have a really good first line (though a lot of that is driven by Gaudreau), a decent second line and then an abyss of a bottom 6.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Is it hyperbole if I were to say the Flames never recovered from that 3 goal debacle against Vegas?

That snapped a 12 game unbeaten streak at the time and they arguably haven't been what they were in January since.

Reactions: Devonator

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Is it hyperbole if I were to say the Flames never recovered from that 3 goal debacle against Vegas?

That snapped a 12 game unbeaten streak at the time and they arguably haven't been what they were in January since.
It's been longer than that, because the Flames were actually on a 7 game win streak prior to the bye week. The last five games of that "unbeaten streak" were all OT and shootout losses. This team has been floundering since they got back from the bye week.

10-14-6 I believe is what the broadcasters tonight said the Flames have been since the break, including tonight's game. And I think maybe 2 of those losses at most have been back to back. 11 goals for in the last 7 games. Shut out in 2 of 3.

The Flames don't have playoff hopes. Mathematically they do but mentally they are gone. They are literally skating through this last stretch of games. Not even playing, skating. It's pathetic.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Too many excuses are being given for the flamers. They’re just not that good, they were over hyped but all along were mediocre at best.

I honestly can’t stand the oilers and flames right now. I was expecting the battle of Alberta to be back and some great games between them but was dissapointed.

Are we officially labelling Sam Bennett a bust? I hope Calgary trades him for his sake so he can try to reclaim his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad