Line Combos: What’s the roster looking like

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Going to be a year of changing lines.....
Holland doesnt know what he has or can develop with Pulju.
Turris is definitely not ur mainstream 3C. Probably spends 40 percent of his TOI on David's LW ( if Holland doesnt take a flyer on a cheap UFA or make a trade). I Turris plays up alot does that Mean JJ moves to centre at times?
Who plays with McDavid?
Were still the one line team at least some of the time that Chicago was able to easily corner.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Turris is definitely not ur mainstream 3C. Probably spends 40 percent of his TOI on David's LW ..

Is he any good there? I feel like Oilers fans are used to having two really good centres/wingers in RNH and Drai - but not all players are so flexible. I seem to recall NSH fans suggesting that Turris is not suited to the wing and plays much better in the middle.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Is he any good there? I feel like Oilers fans are used to having two really good centres/wingers in RNH and Drai - but not all players are so flexible. I seem to recall NSH fans suggesting that Turris is not suited to the wing and plays much better in the middle.
I think Turris would be just fine. I would try him out, if he sucks then we change things.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Its true Turris is not the puck getter or net presence, he is almost the anithesis to Maroon in these aspects, but he can skate in transition and play the give and go well, he will be able to find his linemates very well. However the enemy will know the puck if it is dumped wont go to Turris' side. Likely in these situations Turris will head immediately to the top LW circle or to the high slot to become a known passing option. The LD will be instructed not to pinch or at least not very much.
I think JJ and Pulju will be the best options for linemates when Turris is playing 3C as he definitely will be against certain teams.
Funny enough i think we will see the value of Kassian much more with the sometimes play of Turris on David's LW. Chiasson may even become relevant at times again. However Neal's time on RW except in desperate times will be done. Expect Neal to be bought out next summer.

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
That worked so well in the regular season. Not sure why Tippett broke up DRY in the play-in round.

He broke them up at the end of the regular season and stuck with it. It didn't start in the play in round.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Going to be a year of changing lines.....
Holland doesnt know what he has or can develop with Pulju.
Turris is definitely not ur mainstream 3C. Probably spends 40 percent of his TOI on David's LW ( if Holland doesnt take a flyer on a cheap UFA or make a trade). I Turris plays up alot does that Mean JJ moves to centre at times?
Who plays with McDavid?
Were still the one line team at least some of the time that Chicago was able to easily corner.

I really dislike the focus on getting McDavid wingers. He is paid so much because he is expected to be able to carry not one but two lower talent wingers along to glory. As have generational player have in the past.

Chiasson worked well with McDavid but for some reason has not been given a chance with Tippett.

Kassian was signed to a lucrative contract to be McDavids winger and has also only played sporadically with him.

Neal was brought in at least partially because it was expected he would be good with McDavid.

Puljujarvi is back.

Ennis did ok and people forget is typically more a skilled forward. He has developed into a bit of a grinder but at one point he was top 6 or bust.

Plus we have a slew of guys considered to be more than just 4th line grinders like Archibald who showed chemistry with McDavid, Benson, and even Nygard.

The realities of a cap world are if you sign for 22 mill down the middle expect your wings to be crap.

Personally I would start training camp with:

Neal McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
Ennis Turris Kassian
Kharia Haas Archiblad
Chiasson Nygard

We may not have the deadliest top 9 in the league but it's damn good.

Chaisson, Haas, Kharia battling for your 13th forward is very good.

Not to mention Benson, Lavoie, and McLeod getting closer. Plus maybe a big surprise like Maxismov... You never know.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Turris and Kassian would compliment each other nicely i think.

Neal-Turris-Kassian should be a good 3rd line. Ennis or Chiasson if not Neal

Reactions: Aerchon

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I recall Pulju being pretty decent when put on McDavid's line but the production wasn't there due somewhat to bad luck, and Pulju didn't get a long look despite good underlying stats. With a new coach compared to when he left and being more seasoned will Jesse gel with McDavid this time around? That would seem to be the ideal situation given the Oilers current lineup.

If Pulju ends up on Turris' line that's fine too but then who goes on McDavid's wings? I think that's the biggest question for this coming year is who is McDavid going to play with. If the DRY line can stay together and continue to dominate and McDavid's line can outscore the opposition at 5-on-5 then that's a win. McDavid just needs the right fit with his wingers, whoever that ends up being.

I like the idea of trying Neal-Khaira-Chiasson on a line to start the year since they were successful in the play-ins. If they can keep the puck in the O zone and outscore the opposition like they did against the Hawks then that's a positive. Neal and Chiasson have done most of their damage recently on the PP so continue to use them as net front presence on the PP but then if they can also be successful on a line at evens that's a big help in moving the Oilers towards being a plus team at 5-on-5.

So with the idea of outscoring opponents at 5-on-5 I would go with the following lineup to start the year:

RNH-Drai-Yamo
Ennis-McDavid-Kassian
Archibald-Turris-Pulju
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson
Nyhard-Haas

Obviously if Holland can add another winger that can improve the McDavid line that would be great. If Pulju works with McDavid and they can be productive this time around that would also be a big plus.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Turris and Kassian would compliment each other nicely i think.

Neal-Turris-Kassian should be a good 3rd line. Ennis or Chiasson if not Neal

As many have said as well we got to keep that DRY line together.

I think having Turris and Kassian anchor that third line is THE best way to move forward. If it doesn't work it don't but as you say I see those two guys as excellent third liners that compliment each other and can score.

I think any of those 3 you mention can work on the LW. All can score and all are vets. As long Tippett doesn't put them out against elite competition regularly they should do very well.

I've always felt Kassian is too good for the fourth line, suitable to be a complimentary winger in the top 6, and seems at his best on the third line. A real driver in that role. Adding Turris to him and imo preferably Ennis makes for a really deep, physical, talented third line.

McDavid Puljujarvi + ???
DRY
The double consonant line? Dbl triple? TEK line?

Edit: I'm really missing hockey with this weather.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
I can honestly see Neal - McDavid - puljujarvi as a line.
When Connor was younger, his interview stated he would want to be flanked by a Lucic and jagr. Well..draisaitl is close to jagr and maroon was a Lucic type.

Neal is a tough scoring type and puljujarvi is a big skilled winger. This might work.

Reactions: Aerchon

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

I would like to see Haas as the 4C and Chiasson as the 13F with Khaira traded. Need to try and get some picks back and Khaira is probably the most valuable of the three on the trade market.

Ennis - McDavid - Kassian/Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Archibald/Nygard - Turris - Puljujarvi/Kassian
Nygard/Archibald - Haas - Neal
Chiasson 13F

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Yes we need to change the 3 nickels we have for a quarter up front but its unlikely to happen.
Tippett is likely pointing out daily to Holland about the downgrading of the defensive structure.
And yes you can say we will spend more time in Ozone and it does make up for some of it...but....

Sheahan gone ....Turris in, Klefbom out...Barrie in, M. Smith out ...older Mike Smith in that doesnt scare Kostko.
Holland likely will save Klef's LTIR money for bringing in an older vet to shore up the D and maybe making a trade to upgrade our placeholder Smith. Maybe that trade has already been discussed between the GMs.

x15Kotkaniemi15x

May 22, 2011
Toronto
Figured this was the best thread to post this in. Just posted a video today as part of my Canadian Teams off season reviews and todays topic was you guessed it, the Edmonton Oilers. I had some praise for some of their moves and talked about some I wish they had made instead. Let me know what you think! Cheers everyone!

Reactions: TopCheese

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I’d like to see Puljujarvi with Turris to start the season. I think some easier minutes will help him get some confidence again. Ennis as the other winger would be ideal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
With the recent Kahun signing what’s the change to the line up. I think this solidifies least temporarily RNH staying with McDavid. My current guess at the forward lines is:

RNH - McDavid - Kassian
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Ennis - Turris - Puljujarvi
Neal - Kharia - Chiasson
Archibald

I think Puljujarvi and Kassian and Chiasson and Archibald are pretty interchangeable. The rest I think would be a pretty common sight on a roster depth chart

I have to admit if this forward lineup is relatively healthy I’m pretty confident in this as a group heading into the season

Reactions: Oilhawks and jukon

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
With the recent Kahun signing what’s the change to the line up. I think this solidifies least temporarily RNH staying with McDavid. My current guess at the forward lines is:

RNH - McDavid - Kassian
Neal - Kharia - Chiasson
Archibald

I think Puljujarvi and Kassian and Chiasson and Archibald are pretty interchangeable. The rest I think would be a pretty common sight on a roster depth chart

I have to admit if this forward lineup is relatively healthy I’m pretty confident in this as a group heading into the season

I would anticipate those lines exactly. I was a big advocate of DRY, but I'd like to see what Kahun and Drai can do together.

It's too bad that none of Neal, Chiasson or Archibald play center. I would rather ice those three than play Khaira or Haas. Maybe try Archi-Turris-Puljujarvi & Neal-Ennis-Chiasson?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I really dislike the focus on getting McDavid wingers. He is paid so much because he is expected to be able to carry not one but two lower talent wingers along to glory. As have generational player have in the past.

Chiasson worked well with McDavid but for some reason has not been given a chance with Tippett.

Kassian was signed to a lucrative contract to be McDavids winger and has also only played sporadically with him.

Neal was brought in at least partially because it was expected he would be good with McDavid.

Puljujarvi is back.

Ennis did ok and people forget is typically more a skilled forward. He has developed into a bit of a grinder but at one point he was top 6 or bust.

Plus we have a slew of guys considered to be more than just 4th line grinders like Archibald who showed chemistry with McDavid, Benson, and even Nygard.

The realities of a cap world are if you sign for 22 mill down the middle expect your wings to be crap.

Neal McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
Ennis Turris Kassian
Kharia Haas Archiblad
Chiasson Nygard

Not to mention Benson, Lavoie, and McLeod getting closer. Plus maybe a big surprise like Maxismov... You never know.
I agree. I think people overthinking who needs to play with McDavid. He's going to post points regardless. I think the roster looks much more filled out all the way down with legit NHL depth to cover any shortcomings. THEN there's the kids knocking at the door. I dig.

Hairy Apparatus

Mar 6, 2018
That worked so well in the regular season. Not sure why Tippett broke up DRY in the play-in round.
I agree man, was such a bonehead move. Hagelin, bonino and kessel were the hottest line in the cup winning season for the pens. Sometimes chemistry really makes a huge difference

Reactions: shoop

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

RNH - McDavid - Kassian
Neal - Kharia - Chiasson
Archibald

I could see Neal in the Kassian spot at some point since he prefers the right side and is closer to a top 6 forward than any of the remaining pieces they have beyond the big names.

But that would really necessitate a Chiasson or other right winger for a left winger move.

Too bad Boston added depth to their right wing and likely aren't making that Bjork trade.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Puljujarvi is back.

Neal McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
Ennis Turris Kassian
Kharia Haas Archiblad
Chiasson Nygard

This is an incredibly bad take.

Not sure which past generational players have been able to take low talent players to glory.

Even the best chefs can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad, not sure why you think McDavid should be able to turn trash into top end talent.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

RNH - McDavid - Kassian
Neal - Kharia - Chiasson
Archibald

I don't mean to be a Chaisson basher and I did like that 4th line at the end of last year, but I'd rather have Archibald in the line-up.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Main Board Thread: "Outside of Edmonton, does anyone actually think Ethan Bear is a good defenseman?"

upload_2020-11-2_8-5-2.png

upload_2020-11-2_8-1-38.png

Oh yeah, that's why I don't visit the mains as much anymore.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-2_8-4-33.png
    upload_2020-11-2_8-4-33.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: snipes and Oilhawks

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don't mean to be a Chaisson basher and I did like that 4th line at the end of last year, but I'd rather have Archibald in the line-up.

I see them as interchangeable. Chiasson and Kharia I’d still like to see moved out though. Kharia is good on the pk but if we could somehow grab a veteran shutdown C for matchups that would be great for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad