Line Combos: What’s the roster looking like

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Imagine how much better our team would look if it was Larsson who was doubtful to play next season instead of Klef.

RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
Kahun-McDavid-Kassian
Ennis-Turris-Puljujarvi
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson
Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Jones-Barrie
Russell

Reactions: Aerchon

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Imagine how much better our team would look if it was Larsson who was doubtful to play next season instead of Klef.

RNH-Drai-Yamamoto
Kahun-McDavid-Kassian
Ennis-Turris-Puljujarvi
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson
Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Jones-Barrie
Russell
Better not have to kill penalties with that group of D

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Hopefully Bouchard's defensive play allows him to have a large cup of coffee in the second half and he probably will be on the defense at the same time as Barrie but our less then spectacular goaltending will likely be doing even more 'fishing' during this time period.
With the overall changes we have made, and the need for growth and need for finding of place with in our system (ie. McDavid likely to see three or four experiments on both wings) our puck possession in the Ozone will increase but while our transition game and skating back defensively will be improved ...our ability in the defensive zone has been downgraded somewhat.
Lets hope by seasons end Bouchard will be good enough that it wont be too hard to say goodbye to Barrie.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
As for predicting line ups ....it definitely wont be static.

at the very least...

Ennis/Turris/Neal/Kahun McDavid Kassian/Neal/Pulju/Chiasson

...maybe even Nygard/Archibald get another shot. RNH will get sometime too. Tippett's in-game battle plan will have alot of moving parts. The eagle will be busy too as there are more opportunities to play chess.

And yes some of these will be situation specific....Turris certainly Ozone faceoffs, Neal either when were down or late in games....etc., Pulju if he evolves with less time and space to work with. None of these guys are ideal for McDavid's left wing....he needs an excellent two way guy that can make room for him and get pucks down low and pass them well and can maybe stand in front of the net. Like a future Holloway if the kid can reach a big part of his potential but for now we will fill in with what works somewhat whether it be two way guy ...a shooter or a possession/passer. Being able to skate with McDavid(or nearly so)seems like the first basic requirement.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Bouchard
Jones-Barrie
Russell

The Oilers D looks to start with

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell - Barrie
Lagesson/Bouchard

I don't think your hypothetical D with Bouchard on the second pairing is better than what the Oilers will likely ice. Certainly not much better.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well considering Bouchard is currently playing LD.

Nurse-Barrie
Bouchard-Larsson
Jones-Bear
Russell

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Well considering Bouchard is currently playing LD.

Nurse-Barrie
Bouchard-Larsson
Jones-Bear
Russell

Would love to see something like this if Bouchard is ready. I’d suggest this iteration but either might work well, all depends on chemistry:

Nurse - Bear
Bouchard - Larsson
Jones - Barrie
Russell

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Would love to see something like this if Bouchard is ready. I’d suggest this iteration but either might work well, all depends on chemistry:

Nurse - Bear
Bouchard - Larsson
Jones - Barrie
Russell
This D group is better in some regards than previous years. Nurse, Larsson and Barrie need to step up big time to lead this group. It would be nice squeeze another solid year out of Russell too.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
This D group is better in some regards than previous years. Nurse, Larsson and Barrie need to step up big time to lead this group. It would be nice squeeze another solid year out of Russell too.

All we need is for them to look as good as in some past seasons and things will be good. Nobody needs to have a breakout year just solid career average and this group will be fine in the playoffs. The Oilers and Leafs are similar in many ways so I am a little concerned as to why Barrie was so ordinary there but I have faith in Tip that he will get more out of Barrie.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
All we need is for them to look as good as in some past seasons and things will be good. Nobody needs to have a breakout year just solid career average and this group will be fine in the playoffs. The Oilers and Leafs are similar in many ways so I am a little concerned as to why Barrie was so ordinary there but I have faith in Tip that he will get more out of Barrie.

Barrie looked pretty good under Keefe but the damage was already done. Tippett will utilize him better than Babcock did.

Reactions: Taylor Halls Teeth

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yah not so sure mediocre D gets the job done. The fact is we have middle pairing D at best, hoping for a bump in offense from Barrie but not sure he qualifies as a good two way player. But Nurse and Larsson need to be really good this year for us to have any success. Nurse is going to see big minutes this year, I'm hopefull he can carry the load. We do have good young players coming up/back so we will see soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->