Wha???? Wideman drove himself home after serious injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
How is Bobby Ryans hand? Thats another question how can this guy keep breaking fingers all the time?
I am surprised the training staff and doctors have not figured out what to do?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How is Bobby Ryans hand? Thats another question how can this guy keep breaking fingers all the time?
I am surprised the training staff and doctors have not figured out what to do?
What training staff and doctors? You assume they exist.

Reactions: Multigrain

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I don't get this at all. That injury was so serious, I mean he was in terrible shape when it happened. How can the Senators not take him straight to the hospital is beyond me and how can Wideman even think he was going to be able to practice the next day? This is just dumb all around.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ok now this has gone on a bit too far, are we really going after the training staff now?

Widman obviously was able to walk, told training staff he was good to go (as players limp away from games all the time) and then realized while driving home that this was more painful than he thought.

Got sorted out the following day. My understanding is that the story was told as an anecdote, not an attack on training staff.

If Wideman was worried, or honest about how the injury felt he would have been given more treatment, but like many athletes/normal people after an injury sometimes you'd rather just get home.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The level of contempt by the “fans” is getting sickening.

This happens all the time in sports.

The league has rules for doctors and trainers.

The Senators have the same level of player care as other teams, and yes other big teams may have additional training/physiotherapists etc, but not much more.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The level of contempt by the “fans” is getting sickening.

This happens all the time in sports.

The league has rules for doctors and trainers.

The Senators have the same level of player care as other teams, and yes other big teams may have additional training/physiotherapists etc, but not much more.

The whole scenario is just odd. Yes, it's common to re-evaluate the next day, but if he can't climb stairs or drive with the proper foot, something should have been noticed by the training staff even if he was trying to hide it. We have the mandated number of med staff, no doubt, people are just making wise cracks about no med staff. But this story as it was told isn't a good look for them. I imagine there's more to it, but even if it's just a case of it getting worse just as he was leaving (adrenaline and all) they still probably should have been following up and making sure he was safe to get himself home given how bad it looked on the ice. Players can hide injuries, and things can get worse as the shock wears off, but it's their job to recognize the signs and make sure stories like this don't happen

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The whole scenario is just odd. Yes, it's common to re-evaluate the next day, but if he can't climb stairs or drive with the proper foot, something should have been noticed by the training staff even if he was trying to hide it. We have the mandated number of med staff, no doubt, people are just making wise cracks about no med staff. But this story as it was told isn't a good look for them. I imagine there's more to it, but even if it's just a case of it getting worse just as he was leaving (adrenaline and all) they still probably should have been following up and making sure he was safe to get himself home given how bad it looked on the ice. Players can hide injuries, and things can get worse as the shock wears off, but it's their job to recognize the signs and make sure stories like this don't happen
I agree, it's odd.

I do think the Sens have competent trainers and medical staff. Not sure how this one slipped through the cracks, but do not think it is representative of a larger issue.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I imagine that he realized that his foot hurt driving after he had already left and his body had cooled down after the sustained strenuous activity. Climbing the stairs may also have been a home thing, but can also be difficult when you have a charlie horse so it's doubtful he set off alarms, especially since he clearly didn't seek any additional medical attention.

There really doesn't seem to be much here to be honest unless you're looking for it. There isn't a trainer and doctor gauntlet players have to go through. Everyone is banged up after a game, and Wideman obviously downplayed everything while still warm and under the adrenaline rush of the game. These are grown men after all, they are responsible for their own bodies.

Put it this way, if anything was odd or done poorly, Widman would likely be the first to be upset about it followed by his agent and the NHLPA. He's not making accusations so why are we?

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I imagine that he realized that his foot hurt driving after he had already left and his body had cooled down after the sustained strenuous activity. Climbing the stairs may also have been a home thing, but can also be difficult when you have a charlie horse so it's doubtful he set off alarms, especially since he clearly didn't seek any additional medical attention.

There really doesn't seem to be much here to be honest unless you're looking for it. There isn't a trainer and doctor gauntlet players have to go through. Everyone is banged up after a game, and Wideman obviously downplayed everything while still warm and under the adrenaline rush of the game. These are grown men after all, they are responsible for their own bodies.

Put it this way, if anything was odd or done poorly, Widman would likely be the first to be upset about it followed by his agent and the NHLPA. He's not making accusations so why are we?
He said he was in shock when it happened, couldn’t feel his leg and knew it was “really bad”. This is moments after it happened.
You didn’t listen before commenting did you

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He said he was in shock when it happened, couldn’t feel his leg and knew it was “really bad”. This is moments after it happened.
You didn’t listen before commenting did you

I did give it a listen but stopped before the end that was my bad. I just listened to it again to the end and I think the key part of that bit you've quoted is that he says he acted like the typical hockey player robot wanting to get his car home and get ready for practice the next day. Clearly he kept the injury to himself.

It seems like he made it out of the building on adrenaline alone, and definitely didn't let the training staff know that he was seriously injured. The doctors and trainers aren't EM, if they had known they would have treated him right away. Is this an attempt at slamming the organization for not having enough medical staff or something, or are we claiming that they are negligent in their positions? I'm confused here.

He has nothing but good things to say about how he was treated by the organization, and his mom :) so again I'll ask, if Widman is not taking issue why are we?

Last edited:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I did give it a listen but stopped before the end that was my bad. I just listened to it again to the end and I think the key part of that bit you've quoted is that he says he acted like the typical hockey player robot wanting to get his car home and get ready for practice the next day. Clearly he kept the injury to himself.

It seems like he made it out of the building on adrenaline alone, and definitely didn't let the training staff know that he was seriously injured. The doctors and trainers aren't EM, if they had known they would have treated him right away. Is this an attempt at slamming the organization for not having enough medical staff or something, or are we claiming that they are negligent in their positions? I'm confused here.

He has nothing but good things to say about how he was treated by the organization, and his mom :) so again I'll ask, if Widman is not taking issue why are we?
It’s an attempt at saying what the hell is going on? How does that happen? And.....discuss.
Not slamming anyone.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s an attempt at saying what the hell is going on? How does that happen? And.....discuss.
Not slamming anyone.

It's pretty crazy, and a worthy discussion that's for sure. Widman dealt with it well though. Good on him for getting back into game shape and getting a new deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad