Wha???? Wideman drove himself home after serious injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wideman felt he was fine to drive home and even practice the next day, that right there is pretty telling of his mindset following the incident. I couldn't tell you whether Wideman actually felt alright, or he was intentionally hiding how he felt but the training staff can only do so much when a player leads them to believe he is fine, I'm sure they went through their procedure and were planning to reevaluate him the next day.

This is yet another example of making a story out of nothing to shame melnyk and the franchise. I get it things are bad but not everything needs to be blown out of proportion. Try and keep a level head for a moment.
He said he was in shock. It’s like a guy after concussion. Can their judgements be trusted? They are not doctors. They should not be left to self diagnose.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He said he was in shock. It’s like a guy after concussion. Can their judgements be trusted? They are not doctors. They should not be left to self diagnose.

Not going to get into the concussion comparison it is invalid.

They can only go off the information they were given and in a lot of cases the plan is too re-evaluate the next day. I'm willing to bet incidents like this are relatively common in professional sports, it's why diagnosis usually come out the following day and that the night of the incident.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It seemed like a case of a guy brushing off an injury so he can stay in the lineup but didn't know how bad it was till the next day

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure the training staff spoke with him and went through their procedure. The part your missing is how Wideman obviously was trying to hide the extent of the injury. The point of him telling the story wasn't that to shame the organization rather to describe the pain of the injury.

How the hell do you hide the fact that you can't go up stairs? When you're at the point that you have to drive left footed, there's got to be something the training staff would notice. I mean, there's hiding pain, but this is a bit absurd that the training staff wouldn't notice something is really wrong when doing an initial assessment. Why wouldn't they follow up with him on his way out? idk. Something doesn't add up.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
I mean, there's hiding pain, but this is a bit absurd that the training staff wouldn't notice something is really wrong when doing an initial assessment. Why wouldn't they follow up with him on his way out? idk. Something doesn't add up.

Huh? The SENS have a training staff?

Reactions: Icelevel

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

As far as I know, that's standard regarding virtually all sports injuries. Trainers, doctors and paramedics know that athletes usually don't disclose the extent of injury for fear of losing their spot in the lineup. They're supposed to dig deeper for answers (of course many don't...a lot of them do push injured guys back onto the ice "for the team". That's yet another problem with the mentality in many sports, but that's a rant for another day.)

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
How the hell do you hide the fact that you can't go up stairs? When you're at the point that you have to drive left footed, there's got to be something the training staff would notice. I mean, there's hiding pain, but this is a bit absurd that the training staff wouldn't notice something is really wrong when doing an initial assessment. Why wouldn't they follow up with him on his way out? idk. Something doesn't add up.

It's obviously a huge oversight from the training staff. After seeing what happened on the ice, if I'm in the room as Wideman comes in I make sure to get him checked, x-rayed whatever. It's sheer incompetence to take the player at his word and not do any further examination.

Honestly though, the poster you're responding to wouldn't blame the organisation if they threw a grenade into the dressing room and ran away.

Reactions: Liliaceae

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This brings up a alrger NHLPA issue which you have to think the NHLPA going inot a new CBA negotiation will ask the NHL to get rid of Melnyck for so many reasons, increased revenue, increased salary, a place that is safe and kind for the players to play in - and the NHL has to be looking at Ottawa and thinking WTF is going on there, this is a massive turd-show, let's get someone in there who can make this thing work.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
This is the worst thing I have read on this forum in quite some time. Good lord. What in the hell.

This literally put Chris’ and the general public’s lives at risk. God I hate Melnyk so much.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This is the worst thing I have read on this forum in quite some time. Good lord. What in the hell.

This literally put Chris’ and the general public’s lives at risk. God I hate Melnyk so much.

Please explain why this is the owners' fault?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Staff "Hey widemen you ok?"
widemen "Yep just a little bump, see you tomorrow. Hey I guess it was worse then i thought wanna check this out for me"
Staff "Rigth away sir"

This is worst thing i have ever heard happen to anyone ever. How on earth does baby jesus let this happen. wideman was so young, this is so sad. anyone know what time the funeral is?
Poor Duchene. How could this owner be allowed to own a team.
Karlsson loves me! Smith for MVP! He needs all the ice time

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Staff "Hey widemen you ok?"
widemen "Yep just a little bump, see you tomorrow. Hey I guess it was worse then i thought wanna check this out for me"
Staff "Rigth away sir"

This is worst thing i have ever heard happen to anyone ever. How on earth does baby jesus let this happen. wideman was so young, this is so sad. anyone know what time the funeral is?
Poor Duchene. How could this owner be allowed to own a team.
Karlsson loves me! Smith for MVP! He needs all the ice time
Well this was a colossal fail at whatever point it was trying to convey

Reactions: Brethers

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

You are right something doesn't add up. Though I'm more confidant that parts of the story are missing or are exaggerated. It's really not necessary to undermine the training staff.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
it didnt sound that bad.

It looked like he thought he was fine especially if he could drive home.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
it didnt sound that bad.

It looked like he thought he was fine especially if he could drive home.
He drove home left footed.
Didn’t he say he couldn’t feel his leg? And he KNEW it was very bad?
Derek Brassard told him he probably needs to have surgery.

Guess brassard should have looked him over initially.

Last edited:
Reactions: Multigrain

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Please explain why this is the owners' fault?

It technically isn’t his fault.

However, had this organization spent more money on more personnel this might not have happened. He could of been referred for medical observation or a 2nd opinion.

Or Euge could of ok’d a one time use of the black card for a ride home for Chris.

Reactions: Multigrain

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Back in the day, I blew out my knee playing football. Partly because I was in denial about how bad it was and partly because I had to get my @#@# car home, I drove myself home in what was easily the longest 45 minutes of my life. Like Wideman, a few days later I was in surgery. I can totally relate to how this went down...

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Back in the day, I blew out my knee playing football. Partly because I was in denial about how bad it was and partly because I had to get my @#@# car home, I drove myself home in what was easily the longest 45 minutes of my life. Like Wideman, a few days later I was in surgery. I can totally relate to how this went down...
Was this with the nfl or cfl?

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
How concerned are people that Melnyk cannot afford to run and manage this team? There seems to be some concern over what the situation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad