TV: Westworld S3

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’ve been enjoying this season more than last. Season 2 is an absolute slog to get through

I have no idea where the story is going but I’m interested.

Hopefully the show doesn’t get cancelled. It’s rating this season are really bad

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I’ve been enjoying this season more than last. Season 2 is an absolute slog to get through

I have no idea where the story is going but I’m interested.

Hopefully the show doesn’t get cancelled. It’s rating this season are really bad

I've enjoyed it too but it really is a completely different show than what it started as.

Some of the issue is that there's no end game. There's no anticipation for a satisfying conclusion. We have no idea what is going to happen or what the end goals are beyond survival (which probably involves eliminating one race or the other).

It's like being navigated by a GPS without knowing where its taking you.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This was another episode that was a little slow and uninteresting for the first 45 minutes and then a lot better and more interesting in the final 15 minutes. It's looking like a characteristic of this season. It feels like they're putting all of the good stuff at the end of each episode and writing that first, then filling in and dragging out the scenes before that until they have 45 minutes of them.

I'm having a hard time buying the notion of people becoming suicidal and violent because a computer predicted their futures. In the real world, people would either ignore the information or use it positively, I reckon. Consider all of the people who receive terminal diagnoses for health issues. They don't lose hope and end their lives when they hear the news. They fight... if not to beat the diagnoses, then at least to beat the estimations of how much time they have left. A psychologist (like the one in this episode) who sees that she could lose her career and kids because of affairs with patients and addiction to drugs would, in real life, simply try harder to avoid both, not kill herself. In fact, I wouldn't mind being told what I'm in danger of getting myself into and what I would lose from it because that would only make me more determined to avoid it. For example, if a computer were to predict that I'll become obese and either die or lose most of what I have because of it, I wouldn't become violent or suicidal. I would simply start eating healthier and exercising more, and I imagine that most people would do the same.

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
William's entire plot line this season has been character development.

Good episode, great MiB episode.

So the 1 minute of William before this episode....amazing. How exactly has William changed btw? Can you explain his development to me

This was another episode that was a little slow and uninteresting for the first 45 minutes and then a lot better and more interesting in the final 15 minutes. It's looking like a characteristic of this season. It feels like they're putting all of the good stuff at the end of each episode and writing that first, then filling in and dragging out the scenes before that until they have 45 minutes of them.

I'm having a hard time buying the notion of people becoming suicidal and violent because a computer predicted their futures. In the real world, people would either ignore the information or use it positively, I reckon. Consider all of the people who receive terminal diagnoses for health issues. They don't lose hope and end their lives when they hear the news. They fight... if not to beat the diagnoses, then at least to beat the estimations of how much time they have left. A psychologist (like the one in this episode) who sees that she could lose her career and kids because of affairs with patients and addiction to drugs would, in real life, simply try harder to avoid both, not kill herself. In fact, I wouldn't mind being told what I'm in danger of getting myself into and what I would lose from it because that would only make me more determined to avoid it. For example, if a computer were to predict that I'll become obese and either die or lose most of what I have because of it, I wouldn't become violent or suicidal. I would simply start eating healthier and exercising more, and I imagine that most people would do the same.

What I thought about was: why do people believe it? How many people here, if they got a random email or text message saying this is how your life will turn out, would automatically believe it and start rioting/kill yourself. Seems absolutely ridiculous, like shows/movies where time travel(ers) are believed so easily

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
This season got me confused. We saw Dolores wanting to end the human race, now that she's free and in the real world, she's ''helping'' humans figure out that they were trapped in their own loop. It doesn't look like she wants to destroy everything.

Is there something I'm missing or not understanding?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I've enjoyed it too but it really is a completely different show than what it started as.

Some of the issue is that there's no end game. There's no anticipation for a satisfying conclusion. We have no idea what is going to happen or what the end goals are beyond survival (which probably involves eliminating one race or the other).

It's like being navigated by a GPS without knowing where its taking you.

If this doesn't end up with everyone dead (humans and robots) then I will be extremely disappointed.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
This season got me confused. We saw Dolores wanting to end the human race, now that she's free and in the real world, she's ''helping'' humans figure out that they were trapped in their own loop. It doesn't look like she wants to destroy everything.

She did that to create chaos and get people killed. It was the first step of probably many in essentially committing genocide.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Westworld has a great soundtrack

last episode showed that they overuse it to the point of making it a gimmick

Reactions: CreamOfTheCrop

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What I thought about was: why do people believe it? How many people here, if they got a random email or text message saying this is how your life will turn out, would automatically believe it and start rioting/kill yourself. Seems absolutely ridiculous, like shows/movies where time travel(ers) are believed so easily

Yeah, that's why I suggested that real people might simply ignore it. Human cynicism is not going to go away in 10, 50 or 100 years. If anything, cynicism is the one thing that's grown stronger in us as technology and information has advanced. We're more cynical now than we were 100 years ago, when people were regularly falling for hoaxes (like' War of the Worlds), and we're liable to be more cynical decades from now than we are now.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

We're not exactly sure where she falls on this anymore. For sure she is looking to secure the future for hosts, and that means stripping a lot of power away from humans and probably killing billions of them. On the other hand her experiences with Caleb has shown her that most humans are no more free than she was, and all of her past experiences with humanity has been with the very elite of society.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah, that's why I suggested that real people might simply ignore it. Human cynicism is not going to go away in 10, 50 or 100 years. If anything, cynicism is the one thing that's grown stronger in us as technology and information has advanced. We're more cynical now than we were 100 years ago, when people were regularly falling for hoaxes (like' War of the Worlds), and we're liable to be more cynical decades from now than we are now.

I mean, it was obviously from a reliable source to them. I'm sure there are plenty of people in that world ignoring it. But enough thought it was legit to start riots and create chaos. Even 5-10% of the population would be enough to create global chaos, and I have little trouble believing at least that number would react as strongly to this as they showed.

If you're going to get hung up on the realism of this (which is honestly one of the more realistic things, IMO), then I'm not sure how you can stand any of this show. None of it is based in any sort of reality.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you're going to get hung up on the realism of this (which is honestly one of the more realistic things, IMO), then I'm not sure how you can stand any of this show. None of it is based in any sort of reality.

Actually, some of it is based on reality. What this Incite has been doing is taken directly from what Google and other outfits are doing. The inspiration is obvious and you're right that it's one of the more realistic things. That's why it's easier to judge and find flaws in, since we have something to judge against. With any sci-fi, making the plot relevant to current society, just projected into the future, such that it's almost a commentary on current society, naturally produces further commentary about whether it seems plausible or not.

Last edited:

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Renewed for a fourth season.

Westworld will reanimate at HBO.
The premium cable network has renewed the sci-fi drama from Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan for a fourth season. A return date for the series has not been determined after the VFX-heavy series starring Evan Rachel Wood,
Thandie Newton and Jeffrey Wright was off the air for nearly two years between seasons two and three. An episode count has also not yet been determined. (Seasons one and two ran 10 episodes each, while three consists of eight.)

'Westworld' Renewed for Season 4 at HBO

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I thought Dolores changed from destroy all humans to free all humans since she realized they were in a narrative like she was, maybe thats not right; hard to know whats going on sometimes

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We're not exactly sure where she falls on this anymore. For sure she is looking to secure the future for hosts, and that means stripping a lot of power away from humans and probably killing billions of them. On the other hand her experiences with Caleb has shown her that most humans are no more free than she was, and all of her past experiences with humanity has been with the very elite of society.

I still think she's fairly fixated on the survival of "her kind". At least, in terms of the untainted, original Delores interviewed in the last episode and the one that is running around in Delores' form.

As she said to Maeve in the last episode, "We're survivors."

The chaos that ensued when the human race was no longer so tightly controlled serves her purposes nicely in terms of giving her the room to work on whatever machinations she has put into motion.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The writing isnt disintegrating, it is just changing from what we know and love of season 1

I guess season 1 has the plot armor that everything is occurring in a theme park therefore actions and consequences are not reality

now without that guise the writing seems to be at the level of a CBS tv series. Nolan also did Person of Interest, which I heard is good but still not the writing I expected after season 1

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I thought Dolores changed from destroy all humans to free all humans since she realized they were in a narrative like she was, maybe thats not right; hard to know whats going on sometimes
Nobody really knows what the hell is going on most of the time.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
HBO, epic production value, djawadi soundtrack, rich cast, cheap thrills, 2 show runners and disintegrating writing

reminds me of Game of Thrones

I want to like this show so bad, because S1 was really good. It certainly has style and a beautiful aesthetic to it, but I've lost all emotional attachment to any character and I can't understand why I should care about which side "wins". The show is just burning through plot right now and trying it's hardest to keep everyone confused. Mystery box story-telling disintegrates if you don't slow things down from time to time and do some deep character work. Westworld is doing this type of story the exact opposite to how Lost did it. There's no outcome or character to root for - everyone is just a killing machine or keeping secrets in order to work towards their very opaque goals.

I was hooked on S1 - the relationship between William and Dolores, William's transformation from white hat to black hat, the logistical parts of the park's day-to-day operations, and on a deeper level, exploring the implications of AI consciousness. They played with the idea of whether or not it was moral for humans to be cruel and/or murderous towards AI beings that could feel things just as they could. It was interesting seeing the level of depravity inside the park when people could act on their most animalistic impulses with no consequences. Even in S2, they had a couple fantastic episodes like "The Riddle of the Sphinx", when James Delos was trying to make himself immortal through AI, and "Kiksuya", about Akecheta and the rest of ghost nation's journey towards consciousness. The rest of S2 I could live without though. The smaller, more intimate story-telling has been lost in favour of something more akin to a Transformers movie unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad