TV: Westworld CANCELLED

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Felt like this could've been a great closure for the series. Not sure why they felt the need to stretch this for S5, and not sure what kind of material there is left to explore.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
x9ho286ddsh91.jpg

They even put in Trevor at the beginning.

Reactions: MAHJ71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The show that has a finale in which you read 3 different recaps to make sure you're following what actually happened.

SMH.

Season 5 or not, it has been such a chore to follow what is going on that I'm in the "meh" camp on whether I care to see a final season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I really disliked Seasons 3 and 4, but this is still very surprising. The 5th season was supposed to be the last and the final episode of the 4th even seemed to tease it. I expected HBO to just finish what they started since they were so near the end. I'm not disappointed, just surprised. Well, on second thought, I guess that I'm disappointed that a show that started so strong won't get a conclusion, but that has has more to do with the legacy of the 1st season than me actually wanting to see a 5th.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
oh-no-anyway.gif

Really though it's a shame how this show went into the absolute shitter after season 1. I thought it was a near perfect season of television and I recommended it to anyone who would listen. I went into Season 2 with the highest hopes and all the hype. And there was no amount of denial or fooling myself to make season 2 okay. Season 2 was a f***ing disappointing chore to get through and by the end I was pretty miserable about it. The only episode that was remotely good was the self contained one about the Native American host. I mean, the showrunners were pretty vocal about how dismayed they were that people figured out the season 1 twist before the reveal, but it's baffling to me how their adjustment was to make a show that was 60% convoluted BS, 20 percent incoherent trash, 10 percent boring trash including Maeve being robo Jesus with virtually no conflict or adversity, and only 10 percent half watchable stuff, primarily good monologue performances from the talented cast. I went from a fanboy to not giving the slightest hint of a shit about the whole show with one disaster of a season. Didn't watch season 3, and as of writing this I don't even know if season 4 released and they announced the cancellation early, or if S4 came and went softer than a whisper.

Good riddance. I'm still pissed all these years later if you can't tell.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The funny thing is there's this show on Amazon that came out recently, can't be bothered to look it up but starring Chloe Grace Moretz and created by one of the Westwood showrunners, I think Johnathan Nolan. And my roommate approached me like "duuuuude we gotta watch this new show together, it's made by one of the creators of Westworld!" And he was genuinely enthusiastic about it. I really don't like being a downer but my face immediately scrunched up in disgust and I had to ask him, "how much of Westworld did you watch?"

Anyway long story short we watched one episode, and yeah, it was pretty bad.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
oh-no-anyway.gif

Really though it's a shame how this show went into the absolute shitter after season 1. I thought it was a near perfect season of television and I recommended it to anyone who would listen. I went into Season 2 with the highest hopes and all the hype. And there was no amount of denial or fooling myself to make season 2 okay. Season 2 was a f***ing disappointing chore to get through and by the end I was pretty miserable about it. The only episode that was remotely good was the self contained one about the Native American host. I mean, the showrunners were pretty vocal about how dismayed they were that people figured out the season 1 twist before the reveal, but it's baffling to me how their adjustment was to make a show that was 60% convoluted BS, 20 percent incoherent trash, 10 percent boring trash including Maeve being robo Jesus with virtually no conflict or adversity, and only 10 percent half watchable stuff, primarily good monologue performances from the talented cast. I went from a fanboy to not giving the slightest hint of a shit about the whole show with one disaster of a season. Didn't watch season 3, and as of writing this I don't even know if season 4 released and they announced the cancellation early, or if S4 came and went softer than a whisper.

Preach!!

I watched season 3. It was mildly interesting for a couple episodes as we got new settings, but it fell under the weight of its own bloated ambitions and redundant cast members, much like season 2.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Preach!!

I watched season 3. It was mildly interesting for a couple episodes as we got new settings, but it fell under the weight of its own bloated ambitions and redundant cast members, much like season 2.
Yeah I toyed with the idea or giving it another shot and I kept seeing basically the same review of S3 so I didn't bother. Falling under the weight of its own bloated ambitions is a good way to put it. Though I'd reiterate that it also suffered from that incessant need to make their twists nearly impossible to predict.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
oh-no-anyway.gif

They went the Lost route. Overcomplicated things. I read and heard so many comments that people had no idea what was going on anymore in this show.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Great first season.

Season 2 was disappointing.

Season 3 and 4 were a chore to watch.

Glad they put this show out of it's misery.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Didn't watch season 3, and as of writing this I don't even know if season 4 released and they announced the cancellation early, or if S4 came and went softer than a whisper.

Yes, Season 4 came and went with a whisper. This, in fact, is the thread for it and you can see that it's only on Page 3. Evidently, it's hard to discuss a season when no one understands what's going on.

It's kind of funny that you're this upset over S2. I can only imagine how angry you'd be if you'd seen S3 and S4. They make S2 look not so bad in hindsight.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
They went the Lost route. Overcomplicated things. I read and heard so many comments that people had no idea what was going on anymore in this show.
I mean I don't understand why people stuck with Lost either but I'd rather watch that. Well that's not true. I can understand it just fine, I just can't relate to the need to get a payoff for all the bullshit.
Yes, Season 4 came and went with a whisper. This, in fact, is the thread for it and you can see that it's only on Page 3. Evidently, it's hard to discuss a season when no one understands what's going on.

It's kind of funny that you're this upset over S2. I can only imagine how angry you'd be if you'd seen S3 and S4. They make S2 look not so bad in hindsight.
:laugh: yeah then that's an easy never in a million years for me then.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I watched the first season of this show as it aired and enjoyed it. The writing was on the wall with how the first season ended with the writers making every wrong choice, so I never bothered watching another episode. Content with that decision.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I can't exactly remember who said it - HBO executives or people in the media, maybe both - but after the success of the first season in late 2016, there was a feeling this show would take the mantle from Games of Thrones (which had wrapped up season 6) in terms of cultural impact and commercial success. Turns out they were a wee bit wrong with that prediction.

• Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
This show has been a mess since season 1 but I still kind of enjoyed it and I'm disappointed it won't get a proper ending.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't even get how people liked season 1. Was a good premise but I felt it was badly executed and convoluted from the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad