TV: Westworld CANCELLED

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Stuff like this is why i only follow series after they are finished or near the end. Too many stories where the writers have a good initial idea only to fumble later on because they actually have no idea how things will end. Sad for the couple of people who were still invested and the crew members who just lost their jobs.

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
That's disappointing...the show had its share of ups and downs, but I had committed to it for 6 years and 4 seasons. I would've liked to know how it ends.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I can't exactly remember who said it - HBO executives or people in the media, maybe both - but after the success of the first season in late 2016, there was a feeling this show would take the mantle from Games of Thrones (which had wrapped up season 6) in terms of cultural impact and commercial success. Turns out they were a wee bit wrong with that prediction.

They probably werent predicting the show would go from Westworld to just World

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They probably werent predicting the show would go from Westworld to just World
Seriously. The show would've been more interesting if they'd kept it in the park, though not necessarily just the "West" portion. After S1, some of us guessed that we'd see SamuraiWorld, FutureWorld, PirateWorld and so on in later seasons. Imagine how cool it would've been to get an entirely different historical setting with each season. We did get some of SamuraiWorld in S2, but then they completely abandoned the park, which was the #1 most interesting thing about the show. I think that the writers made a huge miscalculation by ditching the fantasy world to make the show about robots in the real world.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Seriously. The show would've been more interesting if they'd kept it in the park, though not necessarily just the "West" portion. After S1, some of us guessed that we'd see SamuraiWorld, FutureWorld, PirateWorld and so on in later seasons. Imagine how cool it would've been to get an entirely different historical setting with each season. We did get some of SamuraiWorld in S2, but then they completely abandoned the park, which was the #1 most interesting thing about the show. I think that the writers made a huge miscalculation by ditching the fantasy world to make the show about robots in the real world.

They thought to themselves "the Matrix sequels were really good, lets copy those"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Stuff like this is why i only follow series after they are finished or near the end. Too many stories where the writers have a good initial idea only to fumble later on because they actually have no idea how things will end. Sad for the couple of people who were still invested and the crew members who just lost their jobs.
You can still watch and enjoy S1. It's essentially a self-contained story

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Osprey

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I really liked the first season. Second and third weren't very good, but I actually thought season 4 was decent. Not as good as the first, but still decent.

Not terribly upset or surprised it got canceled.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You can still watch and enjoy S1. It's essentially a self-contained story
Yeah, if you haven't seen S1, I wouldn't let this cancelation stop you. It's probably one of the best seasons of television this century. You just might not want to continue after S1, since it goes downhill fast and there won't be a payoff now.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Anyone here in their 30s and 40s that remembers how great a ride the first season of Heroes was back in 2006-07...just like Westworld? The second season received significant hype...and was merely OK...just like Westworld. The following seasons were dreadful and ratings declined drastically...just like Westworld. Coincidentally, Heroes was cancelled after 4 seasons....just like Westworld.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Loved the first season but like Lost collapsed under its own weight. Too high concept IMO.
At least Lost was simple and basic to understand for the most part. They just left a few things unanswered and the ending was lacking.

This show had so much going on and in every direction that nobody knew what the hell was happening.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone here in their 30s and 40s that remembers how great a ride the first season of Heroes was back in 2006-07...just like Westworld? The second season received significant hype...and was merely OK...just like Westworld. The following seasons were dreadful and ratings declined drastically...just like Westworld. Coincidentally, Heroes was cancelled after 4 seasons....just like Westworld.
Heroes at least had the writers strike to blame the decrease in quality on. Still wonder how that show would have fared if it had the actual writers for season 2.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Had a feeling it was coming... enjoyed many parts of the show throughout all the seasons, but it will always be thought of as a "what could have been" show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad