Confirmed with Link: Werenski Signs 6 year 9.5 Million AAV Extension

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I feel like the whole Zach is better than Seth is a little sour grapes from this group.
Sure it's sour grapes that I dropped that take in here right after one bolted and the other committed, but I atleast believed it before as well. I tried to think of other ways to articulate it but right now the best way I can describe my stance on them is if EA put me in charge of NHL 22 rankings I'd make Werenski an 89 and Seth an 87 or so. Both really good, but Zach has a bit of an edge.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like the whole Zach is better than Seth is a little sour grapes from this group. And this is coming from me, who has always held that Zach is Seth’s equal despite his lack of reputation as a D-zone defender and his seemingly passionless demeanor.

I think both of those things are overblown. Zach is a #1 on his own and doesn’t need Seth to carry a pairing.

As for the money? I’ve been on this forum for 17 years and I can think of maybe 3 times people were ok with both term and AAV. Yes, professional athletes make too much money. Yes, it’s a gobstopping amount for most of the rest of us. But it’s the market.

Some of us have been saying Zach > Seth for years.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Saying Werenski is better overall than Jones is something that should not be seen as “true” or a “fact”, IN ANY WAY.

It doesn’t matter what “the numbers” say.

Reactions: Long Live Lyle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have 0 issue seeing Z sign for more than Hamilton whose game Ive never loved and Makar signed his deal out of his ELC so it is what it is. What else is Jarmo supposed to do? Trade him and sign a couple 2nd pair D and listen to people whine because we have no number 1? Some of those people dont know what they want or just want to make flashy claims and have people talk

I would rather Z than Hamilton as my #1 in the playoffs. Zach is a smooth skater but don't mistake that for a lax attitude. He'll do whatever it takes.

Makar is in a different category. He'd get $13m per if he hit the open market right now. He had all RFA years and gave the Avs a bit of a discount, hence his deal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sure it's sour grapes that I dropped that take in here right after one bolted and the other committed, but I atleast believed it before as well. I tried to think of other ways to articulate it but right now the best way I can describe my stance on them is if EA put me in charge of NHL 22 rankings I'd make Werenski an 89 and Seth an 87 or so. Both really good, but Zach has a bit of an edge.

Some of us have been saying Zach > Seth for years.

I’m not keeping track but I know this has been out there and I don’t dispute it. It was more a feel about the timing than the opinion itself.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7201

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I always find these debates on the precise contracts paid to be a bit silly. Columbus only has access to a finite number of players and has to work within that pool to construct a team. So if Makar would have been better for the money that only is relevant if Columbus could have signed him. Ultimately, you don't get burned paying a premium price for premium talent. You get burned paying a premium price for mid-level talent that you could have replaced for less from the pool.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I would rather Z than Hamilton as my #1 in the playoffs. Zach is a smooth skater but don't mistake that for a lax attitude. He'll do whatever it takes.

Makar is in a different category. He'd get $13m per if he hit the open market right now. He had all RFA years and gave the Avs a bit of a discount, hence his deal.

You can say that again

Attachments

• zach-werenski.jpg
    zach-werenski.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 6

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
What does saying Jones is the better player have anything to do with being a fan of the team or not??

The CBJ would be better off with Jones instead of Werenski. People expressing the idea that Werenski is better than Jones is ridiculous, IMO, and it always has been.

Put the bag back on dude.

I honestly don't feel strongly either way but I like your moxie

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You can say that again

68A95D45-80D9-4B32-8BCF-5C18E5C3A563.jpeg

That’s the cover and below is the story I did a few years ago on Zach for the non-sports pub I used to be on staff of.

The pic is by the great Rob Hardin, but I take full credit for the title/headline, which was just a play on words based on his injury/scar from his rookie season and not intended to suggest he was the franchise’s public face.

But four years later…

If you read or at least scroll the story, check Zach’s quote at the end. Maybe we should have known he always planned to stay.

Blue Jackets season preview: Face of the franchise: Zach Werenski

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think Zach is better than Seth. I think he's EQUAL to Seth. They both have different ways they're great.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think Zach is better than Seth. I think he's EQUAL to Seth. They both have different ways they're great.
But what's that say if he's equal to Zach while being a few years younger? I don't know how it's gonna turn out, but hopefully Jarmo grabbing a bunch of depth on D will allow Larsen or whoever is running the D from running Werenski ragged. Ideally Gav, Boqvist and Bean all are able to start eating increased minutes and lighten the load for Zach.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If I had to pick one... I’d prob pick Seth. BUT... I think Zach has some distinct skills better than Seth and is a great player in his own right.

Either way, Zach wanted to be here, Seth didn’t. The end. Go Z!

This is ultimately the answer to the question of who’s better or who the team would be better serve having in the roster. And that is, it doesn’t matter.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
View attachment 458205

That’s the cover and below is the story I did a few years ago on Zach for the non-sports pub I used to be on staff of.

The pic is by the great Rob Hardin, but I take full credit for the title/headline, which was just a play on words based on his injury/scar from his rookie season and not intended to suggest he was the franchise’s public face.

But four years later…

If you read or at least scroll the story, check Zach’s quote at the end. Maybe we should have known he always planned to stay.

Blue Jackets season preview: Face of the franchise: Zach Werenski

Yeah but counterpoint, overpaid. Furthermore Seth. ERGO Larkin, Detroit. In conclusion Columbus.

I rest my case.

Reactions: Viqsi

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Nah, Seth should be a 2nd liner. Just because you look pretty skating and munch tons of TOI doesn’t mean squat. Analytics hate him and a keen eye sees the same thing.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I agree, but

Offense can't be taught, Defense can.

Give Werenski time and experience; and while he may not develop the same as Jones in terms of defensive skills; he will develop his own defensive skill set and get better as time goes by. Can't say the same for Jones, in fact; we may have already seen the best Jones had to offer.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
What does saying Jones is the better player have anything to do with being a fan of the team or not??

The CBJ would be better off with Jones instead of Werenski. People expressing the idea that Werenski is better than Jones is ridiculous, IMO, and it always has been.

Put the bag back on dude.

So why is Jones better then? You say it doesn't matter what the numbers say, but numbers to me is a stronger argument than just saying Jones is better, without giving any reason as to why.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree, but

Offense can't be taught, Defense can.

Give Werenski time and experience; and while he may not develop the same as Jones in terms of defensive skills; he will develop his own defensive skill set and get better as time goes by. Can't say the same for Jones, in fact; we may have already seen the best Jones had to offer.

Zach has already taken a huge leap defensively. I think he's been increasingly solid in the last couple years. He could run a shutdown pairing if he was tasked with it.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I hate the narrative that Zach is overpaid. His absolute numbers might not look as good as Hamilton's, but you have to look at the context. It's easier to rack up points playing for a good offensive team that has a good PP. For example during the last two years Carolina has had the
T-2nd best PP in the league with 23.8%. Columbus has had 5th worst in the same span with 16% and not only that was the PP dismal, but Columbus had the lowest amount of PP opportunities in the whole league during that span. I bet his stats would look stellar had he been playing for Tampa or Colorado.

I think showing the money also sends the right message. The contract was absolutely the right thing to do on so many levels.

Reactions: LJ7201

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad