Werenski available?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
How can we be sure that Werenski's development isn't being taxed by carrying such a big burden so early in CBJ? He's put some serious mileage in for a young guy, and looked to be playing through something severe in the playoffs last year.

I wouldn't trust a proposal or appraisal that wasn't heavy on evaluating the present instead of pedigree. A hypothetical proposal for a "cornerstone d-man" is one thing, but there needs to be uncertainty accounted for as to whether Werenski will sustain that billing for over a decade. It's easy to rate another teams players like they exist in a vacuum/simulation, but time and entropy are m-fers.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Just sign Werenski as UFA, when he gets UFA. Like Krug at next summer.

No reason to lose assets in a trade. He'll join Larkin one day.

I don't expect a trade, but it could be something like

Zadina + Kaski + 2nd.

Our lottery 1st is just too valuable. Different game if it's contender 1st at ~25 overall range.
Agreed with signing him as a ufa , zero interest in krug and the deal it would take

And cbj would have zero interest in a 24 yr old kaski

Tirekicker

Dec 30, 2017
You finally hit 18?

Happy B-Day kiddo!

:vhappy:

a8kdc5w.gif

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
These will be great additions to our signing of Trouba last summer

The point is to wait until we have a good foundation before we start shipping assets out for a player that will only move us 3 or 4 spots up the standings at best. This is just as valid now as it was when we hopped trouba might make it to UFA.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The point is to wait until we have a good foundation before we start shipping assets out for a player that will only move us 3 or 4 spots up the standings at best. This is just as valid now as it was when we hopped trouba might make it to UFA.

Basically, if I can get Werenski for something that isn't nutty (meaning unprotected 2020 1st, Mantha, and Zadina/Bertuzzi or more) I get to the table and talk turkey with them.

I figure we've got pretty fantatsic odds at a top 5 pick even if we were to add Werenski, so unprotected 2020 1st and something of medium significance gets us a 23 year old proven 1D who is very good as opposed to an 18 year old kid who might need time or end up not being a world beater. If you start talking 3 or 4 high quality assets including an unprotected first this year, that's too much. That's an insane price. Werenski is proven to be a very good player, but he's not Nick Lidstrom.

Only piece off the table entirely is Larkin. No way, no how on him. If they want Mantha or the 2020 1st, the rest of that package is not going to be very big. If they want Bertuzzi or AA, the package would be bigger than for Mantha, but still within reason.

For anyone offering the guys like Berggren, McIsaac, Mastrosimone, etc. those guys are worthless in a deal like this. They're still total longshots. They are sweetners to tip the scale on a package that has a hell of a lot more meat on the bone.

What I'd think is 2020 1st (unprotected) + Cholowski or 2020 1st + AA. I'm okay with the possibility of dealing a top 5 pick for Zach Werenski, because he'd be a pretty damn big success for drafting a D at that place. Cholowski or AA would be Columbus's "vig" to protect them a little bit in the case that the Wings manage to string some games together and luck sees them land at 6-10OA or something. Think of it like the Wings trading a top 3 pick for Werenski and they're giving Columbus a piece so Columbus still feels like it was a good deal even if Detroit turns it on late in the year again.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
How can we be sure that Werenski's development isn't being taxed by carrying such a big burden so early in CBJ? He's put some serious mileage in for a young guy, and looked to be playing through something severe in the playoffs last year.

I wouldn't trust a proposal or appraisal that wasn't heavy on evaluating the present instead of pedigree. A hypothetical proposal for a "cornerstone d-man" is one thing, but there needs to be uncertainty accounted for as to whether Werenski will sustain that billing for over a decade. It's easy to rate another teams players like they exist in a vacuum/simulation, but time and entropy are m-fers.

No one is saying that the team should not do diligence on Werenski. If you are looking for a reason not to do something, you will always find it.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Yeah, we need to draw a distinction between pre and post-injury Werenski. He was really, really good before that injury. After it... good, but not what he was. This year, 7 points in 17 games. He's not one-dimensional, but he's definitely a guy who makes his money by contributing offensively. And he's having a tough time so far.

Also, I'm totally convinced Mantha will calm down pretty soon here. He's always been streaky. We need to recognize that he's way above the curve right now, and will regress to his mean pretty soon here. So the "Mantha is indispensible!" people are going to feel silly.

He’s working his tail off and playing good consistent hockey.

When he was streaky his play went along WITH that and it wasn’t very good. Right now, it’s the opposite. Even when he’s not putting up points he’s playing well. That’s a sign of confidence and growth. Not being streaky. And it’s been this way since seasons start.

All of you people who refuse to give him credit at this juncture are being silly.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Their interest is most likely focused in good hockey players.

I'm still unsure of what Columbus would prefer to get back in a trade. They lost a lot of talent over the summer, but it's not like their cupboard is bare, so I'm not sure how much a package based around futures would entice them. at the same time, they could probably grab a higher possible return if they were interested in taking back picks/prospects as the bulk of the price.

If they can get a decent goalie somewhere, I think someone like Helm would actually have some value to them. Not as an integral part of a trade, but with some money retained as a secondary piece...yeah, he'd be a good depth vet for a team like that. So much depends on if Columbus still thinks they can win with the core they have in place.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- put me down as one that thinx werinski being made to look better than is by jones whose easily a top 10 dman in leauge
- put me down as mantha untouchable . a big rugged power sniper is maybe as valuable as a top unit center or dman

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Larkin and 1st round picks should be the only things not on the table for Werenski, he solves so many problems on the blue line.

Werenski-Hronek
Cholowski-Seider

That looks amazing to me, best case Ontario Werenski specifically asks for a trade to Detroit.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Larkin and 1st round picks should be the only things not on the table for Werenski, he solves so many problems on the blue line.

Werenski-Hronek
Cholowski-Seider

That looks amazing to me, best case Ontario Werenski specifically asks for a trade to Detroit.

?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would offer them AA, Cholo and maybe another decent asset without a second of hesitation.

Yeah, I'd definitely be up for that depending on what that last asset is. I wouldn't be giving up an unprotected 1st, and I think Larkin is off the table for me. As I allude to above, I think a lot depends on where Columbus sees themselves with the group of players they have. If they think the group they have is close, they are going to be looking to add pieces to help them now which can help the add to the appeal of a guy like Athanasiou and, to a lesser extent, Cholowski. Along with some vets who we could retain salary on and be used as secondary pieces.

If they are looking to do a mini-rebuild, though, then picks/prospects could be more alluring. Maybe Columbus is going to look at selling a number of pieces off.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I'd definitely be up for that depending on what that last asset is. I wouldn't be giving up an unprotected 1st, and I think Larkin is off the table for me. As I allude to above, I think a lot depends on where Columbus sees themselves with the group of players they have. If they think the group they have is close, they are going to be looking to add pieces to help them now which can help the add to the appeal of a guy like Athanasiou and, to a lesser extent, Cholowski. Along with some vets who we could retain salary on and be used as secondary pieces.

If they are looking to do a mini-rebuild, though, then picks/prospects could be more alluring. Maybe Columbus is going to look at selling a number of pieces off.

Yeah I am not doing an unprotected lottery first in either of the next two years. Wasn't sure what to go with for the next asset. If we swing this because of his cap control on the three year deal we could also really big game hunt on Taylor Hall this off-season if we choose to. Werenski's next contract would come after we have blood let some of the deals.

Just think this a deal that makes sense and not just because he is from Michigan, he is a really good hockey player and I think he is a big core piece.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah I am not doing an unprotected lottery first in either of the next two years. Wasn't sure what to go with for the next asset. If we swing this because of his cap control on the three year deal we could also really big game hunt on Taylor Hall this off-season if we choose to. Werenski's next contract would come after we have blood let some of the deals.

Just think this a deal that makes sense and not just because he is from Michigan, he is a really good hockey player and I think he is a big core piece.

Werenski's age is the big selling point for me. He slots right into that group of prospects behind Bert/Mantha/AA. It's like we add a high 1st rounder a few drafts ago and instead of this talk of the rebuild going for another five years, it begins looking far more possible to start cutting that a bit short.

Tied into my being unsure of what Columbus would look for in a trade is that I'm not really sure why they are trading him at all unless he's made it very clear he's not staying there long term.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad