Werenski available?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Getting him would make us quite a bit better, instead of being a loterry team we would be more in the 10-15 range.

Also unless we get a top 2 pick, anyone we draft this year would be 2, 3, 4 maybe 5 years away. Werenski is right now, a proven guaranteed #1 defenseman for the next 10 years. Aa+zadina+2020 first is well worth that in my opinion.

I think you’re really overvaluing Werenski tbh

Tirekicker

Dec 30, 2017
I remember people saying that about suter and Weber. Now they've both continued to be stars and average like 25-30 mins a night.

Fair point, but I dunno that it really tells me anything about Werenski (who's younger than Suter and Weber were, for what it's worth).

Unfortunately, while this is a fun discussion. I doubt thisll happen. I stand by my "stevie wont make a big move until after the expansion draft", prediction. Hope I'm wrong though.

I reckon it largely hinges on where our 2020 1st lands in the lotto draw. If we get Lafreniere or Byfield, I'm guessing Yzerman goes big-game hunting.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'd be reticent to trade Bertuzzi even 1 on 1, though I'm sure the value for us is there. He's just such a rare hockey player, who along with Larkin are glue guys. Mantha is also part of our core & rare for other reasons, but isn't necessarily a glue guy....not trading either of those guys.

Trade chips (not the offer) : AA, Zadina, 2021 1st (top 5 protected), Cholowski & most of the lesser pieces in the funnel.

I'd offer AA+Hirose+2021 1st (top 5 protected). Doubt CBJ bites & maybe another team beats that offer.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I don't think that is realistic.

On the same notion of Columbus not wanting to give Werenski away other teams aren't going to want to trade a 35 goal guy and add a 1st. Im not arguing the Jackets should take a low ball offer but look at who actually scored 35 -40 goals in the last couple years... Teams don't get better by trading those guys.

Buffalo isn't about to offer up Skinner plus a first for example. Maybe the Panthers would offer Hoffman + but otherwise a one for one is probably the best offer Columbus would actually get. Of course columbus doesn't have to trade him but if the ask is a 40 goal scorer and a first I'd say they definitely wont trade... cause nobody is gonna offer that.
I guess it all depends on how badly a team wants a 22 year old #1 defensman and how much they value them.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
LW/RW AA, LW/RW Hirose, RW/LW Zadina, LHD McIsaac, 2020 2nd round pick, 2021 1st round pick. If I had to I'd take away the future 1st rounder and add Cholowski.

I'm keeping Larkin/Mantha/Bertuzzi/Hronek, open for discussion on everyone else in any combination. Open to future 1st round picks, not this up coming drafts 1st rdp.

This trade with there top pick and a little FA cash and new HC/Coaches is a bounce back thing the NYR did this off-season that I wouldn't mind the Red Wings duplicating.

This would also qualify as the home-run swing I've been waiting for Yzerman to do in a trade... but I'm not really expecting this to happen or anything to come to light.

Last edited:

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I'd love to have Werenski but I think you wait until you can do something like what the Rangers did in getting Trouba. Jackets aren't going to be motivated to move him right now so you'd have to knock them out with your offer. If you're giving up futures for Werenski right now you make this team better and that means this team probably ends up with less ping pong balls, wait until the offseason.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I had to drive through Ohio on my way to SC not too long ago. Just miserable.

Yea, Columbus is close to Detroit but would you want to keep doing that? Again, I'm not saying it's true or not. Just a friend of a friend thing.

second that drive being lousy. There is something about that stretch of road between Columbus and Toledo that is just an awful drive.

Tirekicker

Dec 30, 2017
I'd make that move in a heartbeat.

Having looked into Werenski a bit and given it some more thought...I guess I'd do it, yeah. If we're talking post-lotto and we know we're picking 1st or 2nd overall (Lafreniere or Byfield, assumedly), I'd definitely do it. Not sure Kekalainen would tho.

Now watch Mantha score 50 goals this season and make me feel like Judas.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Having looked into Werenski a bit and given it some more thought...I guess I'd do it, yeah. If we're talking post-lotto and we know we're picking 1st or 2nd overall (Lafreniere or Byfield, assumedly), I'd definitely do it. Not sure Kekalainen would tho.

Now watch Mantha score 50 goals this season and make me feel like Judas.
tenor.gif

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
The way i see it and if its true hes homesick and would want to come to detroit id just let it play out and keep mantha/2020 1st if those are pieces needed in a deal and wait 5 yrs and hope he comes here (im sure they can talk to his agent and him behind the scenes “even if were not allowed” ) and just add him for freee basically

Wont be till then anyways id suspect when we’d be ready to make some serious noise and adding a werenski would just further advance us , if columbus would be interested in a package involving AA (which i suspect they wouldnt ) + someone like berggren(who id like to keep) and depending what else id consider it since we have veleno/zadina etc... which id likely keep unless its something like zadina for werenski (which again they wouldnt do)

Anyways as much as we’d like to speed up the progress i think we should keep being patient and hope we get a top pick and keeping adding more assets

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
you like to give away our best players or probably best prospect since Larkin + for someone who has less points this year than Hronek ?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
you like to give away our best players or probably best prospect since Larkin + for someone who has less points this year than Hronek ?
For a player that is better than our best players?
For someone that has proven something (a lot) at the NHL level, as opposed to a prospect?
For a player the same age as Hronek that has 4 times as many points?

For a potential d-corp that has Werenski, Hronek, and Seider all under the age of 23?

Yes. Yes we are discussing giving up significant pieces to acquire that.

(which is surely all a pipe dream and he wont be moved)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Some of the worst trades I have ever seen... People willing to give up our 2020 1st round pick, future 1st round picks and Zadina...

We are in a rebuilding stage where we NEED those picks.
I was the first one to bring up this years first year, and I really just wanted to try to steer the conversation away from "AA, Berggren, and a 3rd".

But this years 1st is an unknown shot at a lottery ticket for an unknown player.
Zadina has a lot of question marks.
Werenski is a legit young defender. One that you hope your unknown lottery ticket can become. It's worth discussing the "sure thing" that can be a cornerstone for 10+ years still

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was the first one to bring up this years first year, and I really just wanted to try to steer the conversation away from "AA, Berggren, and a 3rd".

But this years 1st is an unknown shot at a lottery ticket for an unknown player.
Zadina has a lot of question marks.
Werenski is a legit young defender. One that you hope your unknown lottery ticket can become. It's worth discussing the "sure thing" that can be a cornerstone for 10+ years still
So then pony up Mantha.
PL Dubois+Mantha might look pretty damn good for Cbus.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just sign Werenski as UFA, when he gets UFA. Like Krug at next summer.

No reason to lose assets in a trade. He'll join Larkin one day.

I don't expect a trade, but it could be something like

Zadina + Kaski + 2nd.

Our lottery 1st is just too valuable. Different game if it's contender 1st at ~25 overall range.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Ooof idk boys.

Obviously super high on Mantha and trading him would hurt our scoring by a lot. Do we even have a replacement for him? Zadina? We’re not sure where he’s at yet.

I know top pairing D are more difficult to come by, but I don’t think we should be trading for one where it would decimate our scoring ability.

I don’t do it.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think you’re really overvaluing Werenski tbh
Yeah, we need to draw a distinction between pre and post-injury Werenski. He was really, really good before that injury. After it... good, but not what he was. This year, 7 points in 17 games. He's not one-dimensional, but he's definitely a guy who makes his money by contributing offensively. And he's having a tough time so far.

Also, I'm totally convinced Mantha will calm down pretty soon here. He's always been streaky. We need to recognize that he's way above the curve right now, and will regress to his mean pretty soon here. So the "Mantha is indispensible!" people are going to feel silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad