Were the Marlies the best AHL team ever this year?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't think winning a Calder Cup is any indication of the big team winning it next.

BUT

I'm very happy because:

- You always want your prospects to win, and learn how to play games deep into the spring
- You want the Marlies that will be on the big roster one day to increase their chemistry with each other.
- There are many potential Leafs and NHL roster players on this team, and you want them to continue to learn the system so they can be slotted into the main team, whether as a long-term piece or a call-up.

Reactions: Lilou

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
"Winning the Calder Cup Doesn't Guarantee Success. Just Look At(Use team as an example with much worse talent at the NHl level)..."
The Leafs had 105 points, have a terrific young core on top of the Marlies winning the Calder cup.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
It's ok to dream.

Next year the TML might win their first playoff series in 15 years.

Plus our AHL team already won the Calder Cup and our NHL team wasn't much better for it.

Dream grasshopper. Dream.

This is my favourite reply I see from hockey fans. Show me an AHL team where the core guys are legit NHL prospects like this Marlies team. This wasn't a team lead by AHL plugs. This was a team of young guys looking to make an impact and they did it in style.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They were a good team.. the best, who knows, and who cares. Typically, AHL Calder Cup isn't much of a measure of anything, because they are often won on the backs of career AHL veterans.

This edition of the Marlies, had 17 players, who are Leafs prospects, play at some point for them, during the Calder Cup run, out of the 22 total. Of these guys, maybe 13 have a chance at being NHL players one day... maybe not all of them will, but I'd guess eight of them play for the Leafs at some point, even as callups next year.

The Texas Stars meanwhile, have three guys, who might make the NHL, but won't be much more than role players, and otherwise have mostly AHL veterans in the lineup. The Texas Stars points leaders are 27, 28 and 34 years old. Three of the top four Marlies were 24, 23 and 20, one of which has less than 30 games total played in North America.

When your affiliate wins, and there isn't a player of note for your future, it doesn't matter. When your affiliate wins, and it's a true prospect team, it's something worth noting.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
It's ok to dream.

Plus our AHL team already won the Calder Cup and our NHL team wasn't much better for it.

Don't nobody care about your ahl team boyo. Marlies just won and majority of the players are legit prospects. Not journeymen. And like the man said it's ok to be jealous. Just don't let your jealousy turn into blind hatred. You need to accept that the leafs (gods team) are trending upwards.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ummm Norfolk? 28 straight wins. Then went 15-3 to win the Calder Cup including the last 10 games in a row.

The overall records of Toronto and Norfolk are close, 1 point difference, as well as the playoff win streak including 2 sweeps in a row. But the winning streak, and not having 2 do or die games like the Marlies did makes their year more impressive than this one.

Reactions: ek93 and JMCx4

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What about the 2012/13 Grand Rapids team? That was the year of the lockout, so the AHL had plenty of players that they wouldn't normally have had.

TheAHL.com

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
They had 54 wins in 76 games with a crazy 112 points.
Flew through most of the playoffs with the only real hiccup being the first round. ...

Has any team in the AHL ever been that dominate ?
Cincinnati Swords, 1972-73 season, record of 54-17-5 for 113 points while outscoring their opponents 351-206. Went on to win the 1973 Calder Cup with series victories over the Richmond Robins, the Virginia Wings & the Nova Scotia Voyageurs.

But I still think the '11-'12 NorAds remain the AHL's gold standard. AND they beat the Marlies 4 games to none to hoist the Calder Cup. So there! :P

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
But everyone expected a good series. Texas was no easy team and most expected them to go the distance.
No one expected TX to go the distance, they barely even made the playoffs. A team that barely made the playoffs took the Marlies to game 7 in the finals. Certainly doesn't sound like the best AHL team ever.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Norfolk team jumped to mind as the most obvious example, plus I'm sure that there are others. I'd venture a guess that a best team ever wouldn't have had two series go the distance en route to a championship.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
They had 54 wins in 76 games with a crazy 112 points.
Flew through most of the playoffs with the only real hiccup being the first round.
Johnsson had a ridiculous playoffs leading his team in goals and the league in points while playing 4 Less games.
Won the Calder for the first time in history

Has any team in the AHL ever been that dominate ?

The 1998-99 Providence Bruins were the best AHL team I ever saw. 56-16-4-4 with 120 points. I'm biased, but the season was magical and they would win games in every conceivable fashion.

I would never call them the best AHL team ever because expansion watered down the league considerably since the 1970's. I know guys who were diehard AHL fans in the 70's who would say their teams were awesome, but the teams in the 60's were even better.....etc. etc....

By the way, do you follow the AHL? I mean, beyond your NHL team's farm club?

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
This is my favourite reply I see from hockey fans. Show me an AHL team where the core guys are legit NHL prospects like this Marlies team. This wasn't a team lead by AHL plugs. This was a team of young guys looking to make an impact and they did it in style.

Are you saying this in hindsight of every team that's won in the last ten years and then looking back at their roster and then anticipating what the Marlies prospects will do in the NHL compared to those guys? That's a nice pedestal to preach from, it would be sad if something happened to it.

By the way, the Marlies had 3 guys that scored 50 points. Two were Ben Smith and Chris Mueller. I'll just leave that there without comment, because as someone who never played the game I don't usually downgrade valuable professionals with nasty terms like "plugs" to smugly make a point.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The 1998-99 Providence Bruins were the best AHL team I ever saw. 56-16-4-4 with 120 points. I'm biased, but the season was magical and they would win games in every conceivable fashion. ...
I somehow overlooked that P-Bruins season in my championship-based search. The regular season points total plus capturing the Cup with a 4-1 series win over Rochester (after just one loss in the first 2 rounds then surviving a scare from Fredericton in the Conference Finals) has gotta put them very near the top of the OP's fantasy list. This article from The Hockey Writers gives a very entertaining recount of that Providence team's rise to temporary greatness - which is about all any team's fans can hope for.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
then add to what GG is saying, JM.... THERE have been franchises who were awarded a franchise one year and just ascended to the top of that league, just as the Blues attempted to do in 1967/68, and Vegas almost did this past season....

Adirondack (now San Antonio) did that in their inaugural season..... but the prime example of what the Marlies accomplished and has not been duplicated since in any league, is to do what Colorado's Eagles DID in the ECHL, even though that wasn't an expansion team as it will be in 2018/19..... but Portland accomplished that 45 years ago in the AHL, going from absolutely nothing, a complete unknown, to a champion, in 1977/78, AND THEN repeating and/or defending that championship in 1978/79..... they are the Standard TO WHICH all current franchises should be measured even in the changing aspects of what the AHL had been up to that point, and since that.... the way the AHL is now run... that is the challenge that the Marlies and their fanbase must guard against.... it isn't easy, and change has already happened with Dubas being promoted to the Leafs

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
It's ok to dream.

A better dream would the Leafs winning a cup with a core of drafted and developed talent and then stop subsidizing all of the poor, weak teams financially.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
then add to what GG is saying, JM.... THERE have been franchises who were awarded a franchise one year and just ascended to the top of that league, just as the Blues attempted to do in 1967/68, and Vegas almost did this past season....
Beyond this being an AHL discussion, it's a weak example to cite the '67/'68 STL Blues in this thread, HUTCH. They finished that regular season with 70 points, 8th out of 12 NHL teams. Then they were stretched to 7-game playoff series vs. the Flyers & the NoStars before being swept in the Finals by Montreal. So other than having the fortitude to stave off earlier playoff elimination by either expansion conference team who finished just 2 or 3 points higher, the Blues inaugural season (and the 49 official seasons since then) have been nothing beyond forgettable.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Beyond this being an AHL discussion, it's a weak example to cite the '67/'68 STL Blues in this thread, HUTCH. They finished that regular season with 70 points, 8th out of 12 NHL teams. Then they were stretched to 7-game playoff series vs. the Flyers & the NoStars before being swept in the Finals by Montreal. So other than having the fortitude to stave off earlier playoff elimination by either expansion conference team who finished just 2 or 3 points higher, the Blues inaugural season (and the 49 official seasons since then) have been nothing beyond forgettable.
technically, it's not, JM... NAME ANY OTHER EXPANSION TEAM in any league that has either advanced from a complete unknown to a championship, and then successfully backed that up by repeating that same feat..... We lived that in this state for 2 straight years, it's why the AHL continued to back the market despite the business aspects of the League.... even reporters who were in the market then and chronicled the franchise's initial arrival saw the exact same paradigm between Vegas and Portland, the only difference... Portland is the only professional hockey franchise, expansion or existing, that has accomplished successive championships in its league.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
technically, it's not, JM... NAME ANY OTHER EXPANSION TEAM in any league that has either advanced from a complete unknown to a championship, and then successfully backed that up by repeating that same feat..... We lived that in this state for 2 straight years, it's why the AHL continued to back the market despite the business aspects of the League.... even reporters who were in the market then and chronicled the franchise's initial arrival saw the exact same paradigm between Vegas and Portland, the only difference... Portland is the only professional hockey franchise, expansion or existing, that has accomplished successive championships in its league.

In the 1968 playoffs used a divisional bracket of East and West. The Original 6 became the East Division and the entire Expansion 6 were in the West. This means that no matter what, an expansion team would have to make the final and were doomed to be slaughtered by the surviving Original 6 team. It's a lot less impressive when you realize that an expansion team was guaranteed a place in the final that year.

This also has nothing to o with the thread, so let's move on...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Interesting how YOU COMPLETELY ignored my rebuttal to your initial St. Louis Blues example, and launched off in a further defense of YOUR PORTLAND TEAM when I never denied that they deserved recognition in this thread. Don't change a hair for me.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Interesting how YOU COMPLETELY ignored my rebuttal to your initial St. Louis Blues example, and launched off in a further defense of YOUR PORTLAND TEAM when I never denied that they deserved recognition in this thread. Don't change a hair for me.
you seem to ignore that, JM, Whining again, I SEE, when you NEVER saw the franchise

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Leafs fans always hype everything around them...

They played seven games in the finals, it'd have been perfect if they shutout the first four games.

Now watch as Keefe joins Lou on Long Island.
I'm curious to whether you actually watched the series. Texas was absolutely gifted game 7 by the refs. I've honestly never seen such horrendous officiating in my life. Not that I'm saying the Marlies are the best ever, just that it was pretty evident something odd was going on. Watch the last ten minutes of game 7 and tell me something doesn't stink about the officials.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad