Were the Marlies the best AHL team ever this year?

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
The Norfolk team jumped to mind as the most obvious example, plus I'm sure that there are others. I'd venture a guess that a best team ever wouldn't have had two series go the distance en route to a championship.

Which Norfolk team was this? I remember one year of hockey in St. John's that team was unstoppable. It was an automatic loss against them, if it's the correct roster I'm thinking.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I'm curious to whether you actually watched the series. Texas was absolutely gifted game 7 by the refs. I've honestly never seen such horrendous officiating in my life. Not that I'm saying the Marlies are the best ever, just that it was pretty evident something odd was going on. Watch the last ten minutes of game 7 and tell me something doesn't stink about the officials.

Toronto won game 7 6-1.

What the **** are you going on about? Is there a joke here I'm missing?

Reactions: Eric Robson

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Which Norfolk team was this? I remember one year of hockey in St. John's that team was unstoppable. It was an automatic loss against them, if it's the correct roster I'm thinking.

2011-12 Admirals.

Were you talking about the 93-94 Leafs?

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
This is why you need to actually, ya know, watch the game. Don't comment on it if you don't know what you're talking about.

Why don't you inform us all then, oh educated one?

Oh wait, I remember you. You complained every minute of the Boston/Toronto series about the refs.

Never mind then. I get it now.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why don't you inform us all then, oh educated one?

Oh wait, I remember you. You complained every minute of the Boston/Toronto series about the refs.

Never mind then. I get it now.
Why don't you educate yourself, look into the game and stop pretending you know what you're talking about. It's not my problem you talk out of your behind. I remember you too, you're in no position to be calling anybody out.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Why don't you educate yourself, look into the game and stop pretending you know what you're talking about. It's not my problem you talk out of your behind. I remember you too, you're in no position to be calling anybody out.

You're still whining about one goal that made absolutely no difference in the end, only a Toronto fan could find some sort of misery in finally winning something.

Hey, see you in October. I'm sure you'll have some real insight into Marlies hockey and their ECHL (hint: NFD Growlers) team as well <pffffft>

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You're still whining about one goal that made absolutely no difference in the end, only a Toronto fan could find some sort of misery in finally winning something.

Hey, see you in October. I'm sure you'll have some real insight into Marlies hockey and their ECHL (hint: NFD Growlers) team as well <pffffft>
I don't think you realise how close the refs were making game 7. Again, you didn't watch the game yet here you are, commenting on it. You looked at the box score and have no idea what I'm talking about. Go watch the third period and come back. Look into it before you comment and ramble on about some comments I made months ago. Or continue to be lazy and throwing crap at the wall.

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
The 1998-99 Providence Bruins were the best AHL team I ever saw. 56-16-4-4 with 120 points. I'm biased, but the season was magical and they would win games in every conceivable fashion.

I would never call them the best AHL team ever because expansion watered down the league considerably since the 1970's. I know guys who were diehard AHL fans in the 70's who would say their teams were awesome, but the teams in the 60's were even better.....etc. etc....

By the way, do you follow the AHL? I mean, beyond your NHL team's farm club?

Hey thats what I am looking to hear.

I have only started following the Ahl the past 3 years or so

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Didn't some of those Hershey teams or Wilkes-Barre teams of the past 10 years just destroy the AHL in similar fashion?
I honestly don't follow much of the AHL beyond my own teams prospects...but I seem to recall this talk of AHL-dominance coming up before in years past.

The 2005-06 Bears won the Calder Cup 4-2 over the Milwaukee Admirals, who piled up 108 points and 49 wins that season.

The Ads swept WBS two seasons before that with Shea Weber and Pekka Rinne. I have only been following the AHL since 2001.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The 2008-2009 or 2009-2010 Hershey Bears teams were absolutely dominant (09-10 more so) and had better years than the Marlies this season.

08-09 saw Alex Giroux pocket 60 regular season goals and 15 more in the playoffs. He broke Brett Hull's record by scoring a goal in 15 straight games that year.

09-10 the Bears had 123 points (one point shy of tying the single season points record), 60 wins (AHL record), 12 game win streak (franchise record), and a 24 game win streak at home. Keith Aucoin and Alex Giroux both had 100+ points and the only real adversity they faced was overcoming a 2-0 deficit in the finals.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
In terms of regular season, gotta throw a homer vote for the 1992-93 Binghamton Rangers.

57-13-10

AHL records for:
Points (124)
Win % (.775)
GF (392)
Team points (1,053)
Fewest road losses (8)

Buttttt they choked in the playoffs, so that tarnishes it a bit. This year's Marlies squad was scary good. Don't think they beat out the 2009-10 Hershey Bears, 1998-99 Providence Bruins and 2011-12 Norfolk Admirals, but I'd put them in the same category.

Timl2009

Apr 21, 2006
Canton, Ohio
To be "best ever" you have to do it over time-Lets see the Marlies do it 4 out of 5 years or have 9 or 10 cups...It isn't going to happen because the league is too watered down..In the classic AHL era you had Hershey win at least 10 Calders and The Cleveland Barons 9..For one season-I can see the Marlies being in the top 10..

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The Marlies are in great shape to repeat.
They should have great goaltending and defence (maybe the best in the League again) and better than average offence this coming season.
Johnsson, Dermott and Kapanen are all graduating to the Leafs with Liljegren, Brooks and Bracco (ppg this year!) taking on bigger roles all is sunny with the Marlies.

Reactions: JMCx4

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Looking at this thread made me remember how excited I was that the Hamilton Bulldogs won the Calder Cup in 2007. I mean look at the roster there was a lot of under 25:

Hamilton Bulldogs 2006-07 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Carey Price, Halak, Grabovski, Kostitsyn, d'Agostini, Chipchura and Lapierre went on to have careers in the NHL, Corey Locke was still 22.

I think it means something, are the Marlies all gonna be impactful players? Maybe not but if one or 2 become impactful thats good for the Leafs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->