Are you sick of this team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

there was a photo that someone leaked

edit: not sure if it should have been vetted with a mod or something first, but...

ssrl4br.png

Brandon being involved is like pretending George Clooney is a real Doctor, and having him perform bypass surgery. It just can't possibly end well.:help:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
i'm still anrgy that russ brandon was in the locker room post game

he's always seemed like a sleezeball exec that's only out for his own best interest

one of these types:

afb890793d3f2bda1fe5026de3f447f4--lord-tolkien.jpg

Reactions: nickdawg95

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
A long way from their initial year with the entire crowd in the Audience standing and chanting "Thank you Sabres..." Change one word and you would get the current chant.....
I don't recall that during the initial year but I do remember it happening in the final game of the 1973 playoffs after the Sabres were eliminated by the Canadians.

What a feeling that gave everyone....

ruff22

May 5, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Here is my solution to all that ails us...

1. Move the current team to Quebec City
2. Re-enter NHL with an expansion team (even it means being out of the league for a season or two - that's not really a big loss because we are kind-of not in the NHL right now anyway)

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Here is my solution to all that ails us...

1. Move the current team to Quebec City
2. Re-enter NHL with an expansion team (even it means being out of the league for a season or two - that's not really a big loss because we are kind-of not in the NHL right now anyway)

1 vote in favor.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Shutout 3 games in a row....Impressive. Has to be close to a modern day record if not one already.

There's almost nothing to look forward to on this team, Nylander is a bust I'm betting just like most of our first round picks over the last 14 years. The last good player we picked in the first round was Vanek in 2003.
2004 Stafford was ok,
2005 Marak Zagrapan. BUST
2006 Dennis Persson. BUST
2007(no 1st)
2008 Myers. BUST. Ennis was good considering he was almost a 2nd rounder.
2009 Zack Kassian. BUST, traded for Hodgson extra BUST.
2010 Mark Pysyk. BUST..and we traded him for an even worse defenseman.
2011 Joel Armia. BUST
2012 Grigorenko and Girgensons. both BUSTS
2013 Ristolainen and Zadorov. TBD not sure how Zadorov has been doing but Risto is trending the wrong way...
2014 Reinhart..trending the wrong way
2015 Eichel...trending the wrong way but the best player we got since Vanek.
2016 Nylander...? I think he will be a bust personally.
2017 Mittlestadt. I think he will turn into a great player..but watch him pull a Vesey because that would be so Buffalo.

You want a good team you need to draft well in round 2 and beyond. This team can't even draft well in the 1st round. They decided to rebuild in an era where the lottery system gets more jacked up every single year and being dead last doesn't even guarantee you a top 3 pick anymore..thanks NHL for keeping the same teams in the basement. The Sabres need Dahlin but he will probably end up going to Boston or some other team that just barely misses the playoffs.

They will continue to be bad for many years thanks to the lottery changes and drafting terribly all those years.

I don't think it's as ugly as your are portraying. Everyone expects their #1 pick these days to be a franchise player. i understand the mindset but I contend that most of the top picks in draft are fair to middling players who round out the roster. In 1990 the top 4 selections were (Owen) Nolan, Nedved, Primeau, and Ricci. Jagr was picked 5th. One franchise player out of the top 5. There are always execptions but when you visit the draft histories and look at the names selected, there are a lot of so called "busts" if your definition of success is franchise/elite players.

I would agree that the Sabres draft history is not noteworthy or exceptional. It looks to me to be about average to slightly worse than average. But I'm only making a subjective judgement right now.

Most 1st round NHL draftees end up being journeyman players. Everyone hypes those miracle 2nd 3rd or 4th rounders that turn into stars but those are the exceptions. And franchise players are rare and occasional. We have one on the roster. But he's immature and unable to carry the burden of leadership on the ice nor in the locker room right now.

It's Botterill's job to make sure Jack Eichel doesn't turn out to be another Alexander Daigle.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Just watched the second and third after watching the first live. That in and of itself is demented.

Spew:

- I think I’ve finally figured out what Kane sees. It’s Evander Mother****ing Kane (and a few guys wearing equipment that have the same jersey color as him) versus Pittsburgh. He really and truly is in his own world. It’s his own script, with his own storylines and drama, the twists and turns of him versus Pittsburgh.

It has its moments. He’s always trying, skating hard, save for the rare slow dead stinker. He’s chippy and physical. He accounts for offense statistically. He shoots.

But it.... I just can’t see him being a part of a team that has sustained, long term success. He doesn’t pass. **** shot choices and wide field goals are possession drainers (more mentally draining on everyone else)... he picks when and how to get involved over the edge, equally as detrimental to the team as it is welcomed, simply because he is his own Shakespearean production and can’t grasp the flow of the game relative to the rest of the ****ing team. Goodbye

- Bogosian is better than a few other options, so I guess that’s good. Ha.

- at a loss of words with ROR. He cares. His play is so off, and compounded by his own expectations, I now see hesitations across the board that I didn’t see before. That’s a little scary. He’s tentative with the puck through the neutral zone. He’s taking longer to get his shots off, and his selection has been questionable all year. He’s getting caught puckwatching in our zone, there’s a TON more space in the high slot when he’s out there if you try and recall what it looked like last season... I don’t need him to drive the offense, but I need him everywhere else.

- Okposo ___________ I cant even waste my time writing it all

- MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS. OF ALL THE DRAMATIC - can we please get Jordan Nolan out of the Top 6 and use him a lot less? It’s funny now. There’s like a video game lag thing going on there. ROR knows that one half of his wing options is a total nonentity through the neutral zone, maybe that’s on his list of mental hurdles to clear as he tries to get right. He has a brutal ****ing winger during a stretch in which we’ve been unable to score.

And come to think of it. He really doesn’t have an option on either wing. Maybe we should try and put that line in better situations? Just tossing that out there.

- Antipin is a rookie, he’s not the problem, he’s getting better, and you can tell he’s working hard... with the team being so ****ing brutal, if I’m the staff I’m upping his ice time and taking the harness off right ****ing now.

I have been in lock step with the coaches in terms of how they’ve handled him so far. I understood the scratches and why, and I understand the idea behind having him be a part of the PP... but now I’m ticking it up a few notches with him. I accept it exposes him and us, but if we don’t score, we won’t win.

- I said in the GDT... the way Lehner played the penalty shot looked weak and was self handicapping nonsense. Why did he get so damn low? He’s huge. He shrunk.

- I know we didn’t have sustained pressure, but am I wrong in thinking Jarry looked good? He made some nice stops on some high rips that were on net, he didn’t let a lot of rebounds fall into **** areas, looked pretty poised. Better than our garbage.

- on repeat: we lose every single puck battle and every race to loose pucks on every shift. Every one.

- I can’t stomach the notion of this team continuing to play so piss-poorly overall after watching these performances on film and going over them. They’re so collectively egregious in every manner, doesn’t it boil anybody’s blood to look so beatable? How can nobody - NOBODY - even attempt to put this team on their back? Why hasn’t anybody tried to step up in the slightest form or fashion?

Good god.

I’ll record tomorrow’s game and watch when we get back from our own.

Down for recommendations on MH prof.’s

Mostly agree. I'm worried that RoR has already peaked. He can't understand why he's playing so poorly. Watching him his whole career with the Avalanche and the 1st few years with the Sabres, he's not the same player this year. He's lost half a step and his reaction time is slower. Donuts and coffee, social life or life style changes could be the reasons. Or it could be genetics.

Lehner's technique is the result of bad coaching. His physical attributes do not apply to the style someone is trying to get him to play. Hence, he's forced to overcompensate.

Kane is just what we derisively refer to as "a piece of work". I think Evander cares about the Sabres but he cares about Evander more........

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Lehner is being poorly coached, perhaps the Petersen commentary about wanting the LA coaching to work with has traction. His fundamentals are just the worst I've seen for a starting netminder in an age.

Reactions: oldgoalie

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
If Lehner is being poorly coached, perhaps the Petersen commentary about wanting the LA coaching to work with has traction. His fundamentals are just the worst I've seen for a starting netminder in an age.

Yeah, oldgoalie, SabresFan26 and I have shared some observations about Lehner's style of play. As you know both of them are goalies and while I never played net, my son does so I learned a fair bit about the position from him (and paid lots of dinero to goalie coaches including Ron Graham and Stepan Popa lol!). I especially concur with jbuds comment about Lehner's stance - which is goaltending fundamentals 101. Why a big guy would play that way is either because he's been told to and that's what's currently fashionable. Or he's trying to compensate for some other flaw. Bring back Mitch Korn!

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Mostly agree. I'm worried that RoR has already peaked.

Statistically, the average forward peaks at 27 and begins to decline at age 28.

ROR turns 27 in a couple months. I'd assume he's not going to improve, and wouldn't be surprised by a gradual decline from here. He's a very valuable player for us, but if you can get younger and fill a key hole at another position, you have to look for that opportunity.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
P.S. I love the sport. It is my passion. If I could have made a living in the sport I would of. I mostly volunteer my time instead. I've been a Sabres fan since their inception. Seen lots of ups and downs. This season hurts because exceptions were set too high and unrealistically. Yes, they should be better than they are. But they would not be very good even if they were playing to potential. Too many skill gaps, too many holes. There's always next year. Geez, one would think that the Red Sox and Cubs story alone would show that. No matter how much the Sabres suck - and they do, I will continue to watch (most of the time), cheer (once in a great while) and criticize (always)..

Lets not forget that we almost lost this franchise. That would have been a royal suck.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
P.S. I love the sport. It is my passion. If I could have made a living in the sport I would of. I mostly volunteer my time instead. I've been a Sabres fan since their inception. Seen lots of ups and downs. This season hurts because exceptions were set too high and unrealistically. Yes, they should be better than they are. But they would not be very good even if they were playing to potential. Too many skill gaps, too many holes. There's always next year. Geez, one would think that the Red Sox and Cubs story alone would show that. No matter how much the Sabres suck - and they do, I will continue to watch (most of the time), cheer (once in a great while) and criticize (always)..

Lets not forget that we almost lost this franchise. That would have been a royal suck.

Very true.

And in reality, as a fan of a team, it's these types of seasons that makes those deep playoff runs and eventual Cup win all that much sweeter.

The beauty is looking back at the chase after finally getting the Win.

The chase without a win has been all I have ever known with the Sabres.

Im actually kind of scared for how much I'll care for the seasons after they finally win the first Cup.
Luckily, theres more pain to come before that win!

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Or... he's not a good NHL goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad